REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   suggest supplements and multi-v's for noob (https://www.revscene.net/forums/662324-suggest-supplements-multi-vs-noob.html)

tiger_handheld 02-01-2012 02:22 PM

suggest supplements and multi-v's for noob

So I'm a noob when it comes to working out but I've been hitting the gym since Jan and it's been pretty good.

I was suggested to take some supplements before and after working out.

I was told to take
Magnum Quattro - is this any good? Is there anything else you suggest? I've read some reviews and some say vanilla flavour tastes like ass =\ ..

Also whats a good multi vitamin? my ONE A DAY mens is running out...

ShadowBun 02-01-2012 02:25 PM

been working out for years and have never taken multi vit (dont personally think it's very useful)

I just take vit D and caffeine if I need a boost. Other than that just a protein shake after workout.
Going to try creatine as I want bulk a bit more before my cut

hal0g0dv2 02-01-2012 03:26 PM

There is a couple stickys for supps above also there is a Link in the supps thread that is about multi vit
Posted via RS Mobile

The_Situation 02-01-2012 03:55 PM

I wouldn't be too worried about multi vitamins. A multi is a multi

RRxtar 02-01-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Situation (Post 7782219)
I wouldn't be too worried about multi vitamins. A multi is a multi

Strongly disagree

AAnthony 02-01-2012 04:42 PM

Read the supplement thread, it's not hard to find....

tiger_handheld 02-01-2012 05:47 PM

guys suggesting that I go read through the supplements thread - I did.
There is a tonne of info on there but nothing that specifically answers my questions. Some guys talk about endorphins and pills etc.. none of that applies to me yet / i dont know anything about stuff.

if you guys can suggest some good choices for a first timer - that be great.

SkinnyPupp 02-01-2012 05:48 PM

You are a NOOB, don't worry about supplements. Especially when you haven't stated your goals.

That said, the only supplements that I think EVERYONE with a not-so-great diet (IE the average diet) should take are:

-A good multi (Situation is wrong, there are good and bad ones) Brands: Orange Triad, MusclePharm, NOW

-ZMA (most people with a shitty diet are low in zinc and mag. Mag is especially important as we age, so start now. Plus it helps promote sleep). You usually only need 2 caps a night, not 3. Brands: Anything, ZMA is patented and all formulations are identical

-Fish oil (bottled it best, but caps can be taken away from home) Brands: Ascenta or Carlson for liquid, NOW for capsules

-Vitamin D (your multi won't have enough, and you won't be getting enough. Add 1000 iu daily in the summer, 5000 in the spring/winter months) Brands: Anything that uses D3

-Iron (for women, especially during their period) Brands: Get something that is CHELATED. NOW is good and has other good Womeny things added

If you're working out add these

-Protein (obviously. Take 2 scoops a day to easily add 50g of protein to your daily intake) Brands: Totally personal preference, but for whey I like Optimum and for blends I like Cytosport

-Pre-workout stimulant (any pre workout with caffeine - Assault, White Flood, SuperPump are good)

-Creatine - 5g a day. Your pre-workout might have it already, so you only need to take pure creatine every other day. Brands: Anything that uses CreaPure. Universal, Biotest, Prolab

And that's IT. For now.

ed99 02-01-2012 06:06 PM

A good multi I had been using is opti-men. I totally recommend it.

tiger_handheld 02-01-2012 06:07 PM

holy shit.
thats a lot of things to take. do you guys all take that?

My goals are to:
Build muscle
increase stamina

by the way , I'm a dude. I noticed you went on about Iron and periods .. lol

SkinnyPupp 02-01-2012 06:12 PM

That's just my general supplement advice

You don't need to take anything in the first list if your diet is great. Just take the second list to help your muscle and stamina goals.

Excelsis 02-01-2012 06:15 PM

UPDATED AND NEW MULTIVITAMIN INFO THREAD....Now with MUSCLEPAHRM...NOW...and SAN - Bodybuilding.com Forums

ehh after reading bunch of articles on opti men vitamins i think it's better not to take them

Phozy 02-01-2012 06:26 PM

Id say orange triad is the best, judging by reviews and its ingredients. Though i dont think the full dosage(6 pills) is necessary

SkinnyPupp 02-01-2012 06:42 PM

Yeah with any multi I usually just take half a dosage. I'd rather get half a dosage of GOOD vitamins than a full dosage of crap.

RRxtar 02-01-2012 08:02 PM

i swear to god ON has the best marketing team behind them. opti-men, by serveral sources is not a good multi. and their protein is like twice the price of other proteins. yet they are everyones favorite company.

back on topic:

I would recommend:

FIRST OF ALL: get your DIET in order. it doesnt matter what supplements you take in if you arent eating what you should be eating.

Once that is in check, for a beginner, everyone should be taking:

A good whey protein. I take Kaisen Whey Isolate from Costco. $39 (or $32 on sale) for 4.4lbs
A good omega3/fish oil. I take HealthBalance concentrated Omega3 from Costco. $28 for 240 pills
A good multivitamin. I just started taking Orange Triad from any supplement store. $45 for 270 pills.
A good greens supplement. I take greens+, may start taking vegigreens. $60 for enough to last a few months.

most people neglect the multi and greens as they dont make you lift more or run farther. they are for overall health, and are probably more important than any other supplement now adays.

tiger_handheld 02-01-2012 08:08 PM

^ my diet is crap. it'll be a challenge for me to change. im trying but it's not going so well and thats why i take a multi.

Recon604 02-02-2012 11:39 AM

I am using Centrum Forte Multivitamin... anyone know if this stuff is good? my piss is really yellow n smells

http://www.natvd.com/en/online-shop/.../ct8797-2.html

tiger_handheld 02-02-2012 04:17 PM

just bought Quattro for protien and orange triad for multi v-

SkinnyPupp 02-02-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshu604 (Post 7783095)
I am using Centrum Forte Multivitamin... anyone know if this stuff is good? my piss is really yellow n smells

Centrum Forte Multivitamin, Value Pack 300 tablets|Multi Vitamins - Natural Vitamin Direct Inc. - Canadian Natural Vitamins & Health Supplements - NatVD.com

No

hal0g0dv2 02-02-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kshu604 (Post 7783095)

Centrum Forte Multivitamin, Value Pack 300 tablets|Multi Vitamins - Natural Vitamin Direct Inc. - Canadian Natural Vitamins & Health Supplements - NatVD.com

not the best

gdoh 02-03-2012 08:18 AM

multi vit - orange triad
whey - muscle pharm combat
pre - assault and/or glycergrow
omegas and fats - UDO Oil
BCAAs - xtend

and i take greens+ or greens from controlled labs and bee pollen and hemp hearts

edit - what do you guys look for in a protein when choosing one to buy

Ducdesmo 02-03-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRxtar (Post 7782463)
FIRST OF ALL

Once that is in check, for a beginner, everyone should be taking:

A good whey protein. I take Kaisen Whey Isolate from Costco. $39 (or $32 on sale) for 4.4lbs
A good omega3/fish oil. I take HealthBalance concentrated Omega3 from Costco. $28 for 240 pills
A good multivitamin. I just started taking Orange Triad from any supplement store. $45 for 270 pills.
A good greens supplement. I take greens+, may start taking vegigreens. $60 for enough to last a few months.

most people neglect the multi and greens as they dont make you lift more or run farther. they are for overall health, and are probably more important than any other supplement now adays.

I completely agree with this. That is my exact daily setup (although different brands). Carlson fish oil, Vitamineral Greens, Muscle Milk, and a One a day multi.

kevin7352 02-03-2012 09:01 AM

i honestly dont understand the point of a good multivitamin when you just piss most of it out 2 hours later. srs.

edit: i've thought about this over and i would like to correct my statement by saying that whatever portion of the multi vitamin you do absorb, it is high quality food.
also the difference in eating brown rice, broccoli, and chicken breast vs big mac, fries, coke. you shit either way, but whatever is absorbed is high quality.

tiger_handheld 02-03-2012 12:06 PM

^ whats the point of any supplement then?

*serious question.

gdoh 02-03-2012 12:12 PM

ill take a wild swing at that

supplements are to make up for what you dont get from eating regular food, i think you want get as much from real food and then the rest from supplements