REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

What do you think this is worth....?

Hi guys, I'm thinking of selling my jazz to upgrade to a inexpensive bike. My friend has a 01 ZX6R with around 60k and he's put 30 on himself. Its in generally good condition.

I've only really seen one bike with a similar mileage and model and it was listed on craigslist for 3000. What do you guys think is a fair price for my friends bike?

I hope I've added enough info
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Why'd you do that for?

Honestly, it's hard to put a price for a bike imo. The vancouver bike market is quite odd...it's usually a little higher than what the bikes actually worth. If your friends wanting to give you a good price then position it lower than what craigslist shows. If not, then just base it off other bikes on the market (vancouver.craigslist.org, autotrader, etc...)
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Is it just me or do Kawasaki's take a bigger depreciation hit as opposed to the other Japanese marques like Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki?

That and people who sell their Kawasaki generally have a hard time selling it because nobody really wants them in general.

I'd say offer your friend $2000 because you're really doing him a favour in this market, especially in Vancouver.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R Ninja

Was this the bike that was listed for $3000?
Honesty, that is a lot of KM on a bike.
I would offer him roughly $2000 as well, maybe even less.

Think about it this way, if you buy the bike and plan to sell it out in the future, how much money will you get for it? What is the maximum difference in loss you would accept?
maxxxboost is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #5
Why'd you do that for?

I think it's also brand recognition. Honda is well known for its reliability, as well as performance in their bikes. Not saying that Yamaha and kawis are bad or anything, but I've heard horror stories about kawis.

I'd probably look for a different bike. With that much km on the bike, it's hard to put a price tag on it. Plus, you wouldn't want things to be awkward between you and your buddy if the bike breaks down
Posted via RS Mobile
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
^
+1

If the bike was well taken care of, sure, go for it but realisitcally with long-term factored in, who is going to buy your ZX6R with let's just assume 70,000km on it?

I would buck up and look for something else with lower mileage.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

bump,

bike actually has 29xxx
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "

Last edited by Leopold Stotch; 04-29-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #8
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Old Zx6r has horrible transmission box..i would be real careful about buying. Most zx6r that i know has 2nd or 3rd gear problem. (usually failing second gear by the time it hits around 40k)

Old bike like that you are looking at a lot of maintainese..

I would offer him 1500$. If he is willing to give you stuff like gears and such maybe 2000$. I still would get a bike shop to check it out.

If you really want a reliable older sports bike...i would suggest 2001 to 2004 CBR F4i. or you could get a 1999 -2000 CBR F4. Solid freaking bikes..goes forever without issue. Old gsxr are fairly reliable too. YOu can find those around 2000$
Mr.Ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
1) i never buy bikes from an old friend unless I know him really really well and that if the bike has anything wrong that he'll be more than happy to "assist" me in getting it fixed
2) Kawai are the type of bikes that's "you buy it cheap, you sell it cheap" I don't know why but they just ain't the same price range from honda / yahama etc.
3) i wouldn't buy any bikes that are older than 2005. To be honest it's because maintenance is tough and it's hard to get parts. Even if you dont' need any of that, the reliability is an issue. If it does happen, do you blame your friend or do you "oh well, i get what i pay for
4) get what you can afford and again, i would stick with R6 and also CBR 600 RR (2003 +) CBR f4I and F4 are solid too but again, ur price range is about 3000 ish so ...
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ping View Post
Old Zx6r has horrible transmission box..i would be real careful about buying. Most zx6r that i know has 2nd or 3rd gear problem. (usually failing second gear by the time it hits around 40k)
The trannies are known for having weak 2nd and 6th gears. My bike (94 ZX6E) skips once in a while when using heavy throttle in second gear. It's not a pressing issue because it doesn't pop into neutral on its own (yet) but I'll be pulling it apart and replacing the damaged gears at the end of this season.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I have two buddies with Zx6r and both are having 2nd gear issue where it pops back to neutral under stress. One of the lost his 3rd gear as well.

well i bough a 2000 CBR F4 in 2006 for $2600 bucks with 14,000km on it. So i would think he should be able to find one now for $2000 (however km would obviously be higher now)

I have no issue with buying older bikes as long as the previous owner does a good job maintaining it. Most common problem is non-regular oil change, improperly lubed chains, and bad suspension set up. Also transmission issue if the previous owner was "a noob".
Mr.Ping is offline   Reply With Quote