REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Credit myths

Okay guys so I went to go apply for a visa. I already have one with my current bank, but I signed up to a new bank that is better for my needs.

I was speaking with the person working, and she told me that you can get your credit screwed if you don't return books to the library. I had a book I lost, that I borrowed from the library about 2 years ago.

I spent some time actually digging it up and I found it, went to the library, and the girl told me this isnt true. The libraries do NOT share their information with any other organizations.

So who is wrong here? The woman at the bank clearly told me another customer was declined a line-of credit or a loan of some type because her credit was poor, due to a book she hadn't returned.

Also just found night at the roxbury, which I rented from rogers over a year ago. :P Let me know guys! I dropped a bunch of money at the library for a re-stocking fee, since they thought I lost the books.

Any other things out there that can affect this? Unpaid parking tickets at UBC? Etc?

Thanks
Advertisement
sebTeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You CAN Get a flag on your credit IF the library had over due fines that they sent you to a collection company for. But the library themselves does not report your book borrowing activities to the credit agencies.

That said, the teller you were talking to would not have known that the collections flag had to do with an overdue book, she would only know the person had been declined because they'd had a delinquent account go into collections with some company. So they were totally shitting you.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:53 PM   #3

Hmmmm, so is there a way I can ask the library? I didn't have any collections people approach me..... I should be good?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You can just get copy of your own credit report (there's various services that provide this or you can ask at your bank) and then you will know for a fact what's on there rather then guessing.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

you don't ask a barber for financial advice, why would you trust a banker with credit collection info?
go straight to the source and call up transunion or equifax and get a free credit report
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #6

I dont feel like paying. I am not going to be taking a loan out any time soon, was just going to hope to get some free advice here.

I didnt trust the banker with anything, she just advised me that library could affect credit
Old 02-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Here's what you need to know.

Not all debt is measured equally. Unpaid parking tickets, library books, cell phone bills and the like that have gone to collection agencies either have very little or no ability to impact your credit score. That's why you'll notice none of us are concerned with paying impark tickets even if they send their collection agency after us.

If you miss or are late on a credit card payment, loan payment or mortgage payment then it has a large impact on your credit score. As does carrying a balance equivalent to a high percentage of the total credit limit on a credit card for an extended period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevtuner View Post
you don't ask a barber for financial advice, why would you trust a banker with credit collection info?
go straight to the source and call up transunion or equifax and get a free credit report
Credit unions and banks work very closely with credit bureas and can give advice regarding credit score issues, the problem is Sebteggy was probably speaking to someone just above the teller level and was misinformed. It's like anything else, you just need to be speaking to the right person at the branch.

Hopefully you opened the new account at a credit union, so much better than banks.

Last edited by MindBomber; 02-08-2012 at 07:57 PM.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
If you miss or are late on a credit card payment, loan payment or mortgage payment then it has a large impact on your credit score. As does carrying a balance equivalent to a high percentage of the total credit limit on a credit card for an extended period.
what will happen if i racked up $20,000 on my visa, missed the payment for a month, then paid the full amount 2 months later?

also, same situation as above, but instead, i pay off the full balance say 1-2 days past the due date?
Ruff Ryd@s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryd@s View Post
what will happen if i racked up $20,000 on my visa, missed the payment for a month, then paid the full amount 2 months later?

also, same situation as above, but instead, i pay off the full balance say 1-2 days past the due date?
Always pay your credit card bills and loans on time, at least the minimum amount. I have seen credit reports before and the information includes how many credit cards and loans/mortgages the person has, the amount of each payment (most recent payment), and how many time they have missed a payment (don't know if it distinguish minimum payment or full payment though).

It doesn't show your library card, your tv bill, or your Brazzer account. So don't worry about those if you missed one or two payments occassionally.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruff Ryd@s View Post

Credit bureaus look at long term trends to see if you rely on credit to survive, carrying a balance equivalent to a high percentage of your limit indicates that you do. Maxing out the card then paying the card off completely a month later does not have a serious negative impact.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirevtuner View Post
Or do you...

wealthybarber.jpg
Old 02-13-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,458 Times in 588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebTeggy View Post
I dont feel like paying. I am not going to be taking a loan out any time soon, was just going to hope to get some free advice here.

I didnt trust the banker with anything, she just advised me that library could affect credit
TransUnion Canada: Consumer Disclosure

https://help-en.equifax.ca/app/answe...WUUzYllFUWs%3D
shawnly1000 is offline   Reply With Quote