REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #101
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Lotta good thats gonna do you on mar 8th when the fbi goes into your computer to fix a "virus" for you! How thoughtful!
Will the FBI shut down the Internet on March 8 because of computer virus concerns? | Mail Online
Advertisement
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #102
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death2Theft View Post
Ok you're right our forefathers were just playing cowboys and Indians at ww1 and 2, not defending our freedoms.
Posted via RS Mobile
Oh man, I've just been biting my tongue on you for a couple of days while you've just been digging your self into a deeper, more stupid hole. I figured that if anyone on this board was not gonna need help on schooling you, it was Taylor.

BUT this just takes some fucking cake man!

FIRST...when we talk "forefathers" we don't mean our grandfathers. We'd probably say "grandfathers". We refer to forefathers as those that began the country. Don't know about you, but it was my grandfather's generation that fought in WWII.

Noun 1. forefather - the founder of a family; "keep the faith of our forefathers"
father, sire
ancestor, antecedent, ascendant, ascendent, root - someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
patriarch - any of the early biblical characters regarded as fathers of the human race

SECOND...the forefathers of our country did nothing to fight for freedoms in the sense of taking up arms and killing some fine british folk. We said fuck it! Keep us in the loop. I'm not saying one is better than the other, as we both got to the same place eventually.

THIRD...our latest constitution was ratified in, um, 1982. The one previous to that was in the 60's. Neither era had anything to do with WWII. Neither of those had anything to do with the US constitution. Which by the way, could stand with a little updating itself, if such an idea wouldn't rupture the country at the seams.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #103
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I think he was speaking in more general terms. That is, our "forefathers" (really elders) fought in the great wars against totalitarianism and fascism which enabled us to live as we do today, that is as a free people. And now, there is a small group of people (neocons among them) who are trying to take that hard-won freedom away (and very successfully I might add).

For those who are interested into delving into this topic further, check out Aaron Russo's videos on Youtube. The totalitarian project that he asserts Rockefeller divulged to him is quite chilling to say the least. Though, you don't need Aaron Russo's retelling to see what is going on down south, it is quite plain to see.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:28 PM   #104
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gridlock View Post
SECOND...the forefathers of our country did nothing to fight for freedoms in the sense of taking up arms and killing some fine british folk. We said fuck it! Keep us in the loop. I'm not saying one is better than the other, as we both got to the same place eventually.
Grid, you can choose not to take a position on whether the American or Canadian approach to independence from the British is better, but I will.

The American approach:

Pro
- It gives them something to be patriotic about.

Con
- It establishes a series of negative trends that continue in America.
- Thousands upon thousands of people died.
- Loyalists were displaced from homes.
- Families were broken apart.

The Canadian approach:

Pro
- Established the Canadian traditional of peaceful resolution to conflict.
- Effective ongoing partnerships between Canadian and Brits.
- No ONE DIED.
- Allowed us to continue political ties to the monarchy (debatable).

Con
- It took longer, meh... is that even a problem?
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:11 AM   #105
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,982 Times in 1,135 Posts
Well, its not even a matter of one over the other as we didn't have the population in Canada that they did in the colonies to even get pissed with the Brits in the first place.

But, let's not go too far off course here as this has no relevance to the subject of those evil conservatives planning to enslave our digital asses online.
Gridlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 AM   #106
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS View Post
I think he was speaking in more general terms. That is, our "forefathers" (really elders) fought in the great wars against totalitarianism and fascism which enabled us to live as we do today, that is as a free people. And now, there is a small group of people (neocons among them) who are trying to take that hard-won freedom away (and very successfully I might add).
The left does as much to take away our freedoms as the right. The right does it with a police state, the left with taxes.

Thus why it is hard to quote "what our forefathers fought for" cause the country they fought for is not the country we live in today.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 AM   #107
First to fail !SG evar! Now i have yellow fever...

Thanked 2,431 Times in 475 Posts
Spoiler!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 368u1l.jpg (26.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg goodguy.jpg (26.2 KB, 0 views)
Redlines_Daily is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #108

Who is this "we"? I spoke of forefathers and as far as dictionary.com is concerned
fore·fa·ther   /ˈfɔrˌfɑðər, ˈfoʊr-/ Show Spelled[fawr-fah-ther, fohr-] Show IPA
noun
an ancestor

or

World English Dictionary
forefather (ˈfɔːˌfɑːðə)

— n
an ancestor, esp a male

'forefatherly

— adj

I dont know too many people who have grandfathers from ww1 kicking around but if you do good for you.

How many times have I mentioned that freedom must be defended and stood up for? I dont care to count. If you still decide to be a brick about it then for you.
Quote:
Oh man, I've just been biting my tongue on you for a couple of days while you've just been digging your self into a deeper, more stupid hole. I figured that if anyone on this board was not gonna need help on schooling you, it was Taylor.

BUT this just takes some fucking cake man!

FIRST...when we talk "forefathers" we don't mean our grandfathers. We'd probably say "grandfathers". We refer to forefathers as those that began the country. Don't know about you, but it was my grandfather's generation that fought in WWII.

Noun 1. forefather - the founder of a family; "keep the faith of our forefathers"
father, sire
ancestor, antecedent, ascendant, ascendent, root - someone from whom you are descended (but usually more remote than a grandparent)
patriarch - any of the early biblical characters regarded as fathers of the human race

THIRD...our latest constitution was ratified in, um, 1982. The one previous to that was in the 60's. Neither era had anything to do with WWII. Neither of those had anything to do with the US constitution. Which by the way, could stand with a little updating itself, if such an idea wouldn't rupture the country at the seams.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #109
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
How many times have I mentioned that freedom must be defended and stood up for?
Mention it as many times as you want, you don't know what freedoms you're defending and why.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #110
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Grid, you can choose not to take a position on whether the American or Canadian approach to independence from the British is better, but I will.

The American approach:

Pro
- It gives them something to be patriotic about.

Con
- It establishes a series of negative trends that continue in America.
- Thousands upon thousands of people died.
- Loyalists were displaced from homes.
- Families were broken apart.

The Canadian approach:

Pro
- Established the Canadian traditional of peaceful resolution to conflict.
- Effective ongoing partnerships between Canadian and Brits.
- No ONE DIED.
- Allowed us to continue political ties to the monarchy (debatable).

Con
- It took longer, meh... is that even a problem?
There isnt any "ongoing partnerships between Canadian and Brits".
Canada decided to end the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council's active role in Canadian decisions.
We only have a relationship TOWARDS the Queen. Not the British Government. And FYI, the American Independence helped shaped our constitution indirectly, thus, it should be a Pro.
Snugglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #111

Quote:
We went to war to defend our rights makes no diff to me. Freedom is something every citizen should be on the lookout to defend/fight/preserve. It's not something thats won once and never challenged again. Play semantics all you want.
Sorry for the repost,
We didnt have to defend our rights, we never had and hopefully, never will. Our "Rights and Freedoms" were created from our mistakes in the past. What is this "freedom" that you speak of?
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #112
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
Well, its not even a matter of one over the other as we didn't have the population in Canada that they did in the colonies to even get pissed with the Brits in the first place.

But, let's not go too far off course here as this has no relevance to the subject of those evil conservatives planning to enslave our digital asses online.
I almost forgot that's what this thread is about, it's digressed so far.

Of everything Steven Harper does, this pisses me off to a relatively limited extent. I'm vastly more opposed to his policies regarding prisons and mandatory minimums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snugglez View Post
There isnt any "ongoing partnerships between Canadian and Brits".
Canada decided to end the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council's active role in Canadian decisions.
We only have a relationship TOWARDS the Queen. Not the British Government. And FYI, the American Independence helped shaped our constitution indirectly, thus, it should be a Pro.
Not now, no. I was referring to the very close relationship that existed between Canada and Great Britian for many decades following confederation, which was beneficial for both countries.

I wouldn't consider American Independence having influenced our constitution indirectly a pro, because that's nothing more than a general case study by the writers of our constitution.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
I almost forgot that's what this thread is about, it's digressed so far.

Of everything Steven Harper does, this pisses me off to a relatively limited extent. I'm vastly more opposed to his policies regarding prisons and mandatory minimums.

Not now, no. I was referring to the very close relationship that existed between Canada and Great Britian for many decades following confederation, which was beneficial for both countries.

I wouldn't consider American Independence having influenced our constitution indirectly a pro, because that's nothing more than a general case study by the writers of our constitution.
The displaced British Loyalists had nothing to do with our constitution?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:30 AM   #114
Wanna have a threesome?

Quote:
The displaced British Loyalists had nothing to do with our constitution?
Is that what I said?

No.

I just don't think Americans deserve any credit for something that was an unintended result of the Revolutionary war.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:31 AM   #115

Quote:
Lotta good thats gonna do you on mar 8th when the fbi goes into your computer to fix a "virus" for you! How thoughtful!
Will the FBI shut down the Internet on March 8 because of computer virus concerns? | Mail Online
The FBI operates in Canada?
Old 02-22-2012, 08:48 AM   #116

Do you really think what happens in the states wont soon follow elsewhere?
Quote:
The FBI operates in Canada?
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #117

Quote:
Do you really think what happens in the states wont soon follow elsewhere?
Um, no not really.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #118
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Bill C-30 was officially shelved yesterday.

Government killing online surveillance bill - Politics - CBC News
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-12-2013, 07:48 PM   #119

Thanked 6,694 Times in 1,625 Posts
Wow, some fucking common sense.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote