REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

If driving a company car....

so if you are driving a company car and driving dangerously lets say 100 in a 50 zone can the police call your work and tell them? isn't the ticket an allegation and them calling a persons workplace based off of an allegation and causing havoc especailly after the ticket is disputed and you are cleared how would that make sense?

also can the police officer tell that you have disputed the ticket as soon as you do it?
Advertisement
ws6ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

A ticket is a charge and you admit guilt when you pay it voluntarily or are ordered to by a JP if you lose in your dispute.

Now if you're doing 100kph in a 50kph zone you're going to have the vehicle impounded on the spot for excessive speed, regardless if you've been found guilty or not. When that happens I think your boss is going to find out when he asks where his car is...

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
I believe that all "charges" are able to be looked up under the freedom of information act.

Berz out.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:36 PM   #4

Okay so one more thing from the time you dispute how long until the officer knows that you disputed?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Ricer Mod

After the court date is set the court date will then be given to the officer. Could be up to a year away sometimes further. The courts like to coincide other dispute tickets with the officer so he's not wasting a bunch of time and they can do a bunch in a row.

Berz out.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #6

Okay so this was a plan cloths officer and he gave me the good old if u dispute it I'll give u a bigger ticket in court!

I'm just curious if he is allowed to actually call my work and tell them? Seems stupid to do but that's what he said he's going to do
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #7

I just don't want him to see that I disputed and therefore call in to dick me around
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Ricer Mod

He wouldn't be notified until the date is set however he could look it up on his own I assume if he were so inclined. Also I've heard of that threat before (saying if you dispute I'll actually change the ticket to so and so) but I'm not sure on the legality of that.

Berz out.
Old 02-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I don't see why they couldn't call your work. Some company cars have logos on them with the phone number. If the employee was driving around dangerously, most people would call the number on the car and report them.

That being said, your company car probably doesn't have their phone number/logo printed on the side of the car. Doesn't mean that you should be exempt from being called on for dangerous driving. Company car = representing company. Driving excessively fast/dangerous puts the company assets at risk, and the owner of the company would want to know about it.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #10

Yeah I'm thinkng theyw I'll call. He emptied out my pockets and found my business cards. That being said I don't have a permanent comp car I just took it because I just felt like ripping it a bit lol
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
I am grateful grapefruit

didn't he see the registered owner when he looked at the registration?
Old 02-14-2012, 04:12 PM   #12

Registered owner is a corporation...I could be the owner of the corporation
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ws6ta View Post
Yeah I'm thinkng theyw I'll call. He emptied out my pockets and found my business cards. That being said I don't have a permanent comp car I just took it because I just felt like ripping it a bit lol
Posted via RS Mobile
So you decided to take the company car out and drive 100 in a 50 zone and now you want to dispute, but are worried that the officer will call the company and let your boss know how you drive their car?
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
I have called the owner of the car in the past when the driving had been outrageous.The owner has a right to know what is ahppening to his/her property. When I did I asked the owner if they had any instructions for me or the driver.

Rental companies wanted the car towed from the scene, owners (including mum or dad) usally asked me to tell the driver to park it and wait until they got there. Company owners can be held jointly liable in civil court judgements so, in my experience, most bosses would want to know what had happened.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #15
I subscribe to Revscene

I just avoid doing business with the company if I recall one of their vehicles being driven poorly.

This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I have called the owner of the car in the past when the driving had been outrageous.The owner has a right to know what is ahppening to his/her property. When I did I asked the owner if they had any instructions for me or the driver.

Rental companies wanted the car towed from the scene, owners (including mum or dad) usally asked me to tell the driver to park it and wait until they got there. Company owners can be held jointly liable in civil court judgements so, in my experience, most bosses would want to know what had happened.
As the "boss", I appreciate knowing when my employees are abusing the equipment. Usually it's pretty easy to tell... yellow marks on the side of the quarter panel is a good give-away.

I like firing people.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:40 PM   #17

I actually don't have a boss before this turns into a flame ws6ta thread but I am just finding out for a CLOSE friend so I'm posting about it. . But yeah that's the situation decided to get into a company car and rip it now wondering about consequences.

Things happen people act stupid ticket is good enough I don't think the cop should call but time will tell. Then again look at it the other way and as a company owner I'd want to know as well.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
I subscribe to Revscene

When did this happen?

Old 02-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #19
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post

Now if you're doing 100kph in a 50kph zone you're going to have the vehicle impounded on the spot for excessive speed, regardless if you've been found guilty or not.
Not necessarily, i got a written warning last August for doing 120 in a 70 on the Mary Hill Bypass and I was also given a verbal warning on the coquihalla in july for doing 60 over. I do have a fairly clean record as well so i dont know if that had something to do with it.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
I subscribe to Revscene

The impound penalty is mandatory. You either weren't going those speeds or the officer recorded your speeds incorrectly.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:54 PM   #21
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,100 Times in 259 Posts
I dont know what to tell you, ill take a look for my written warning. But the written warning i got was 121 in a 70 Mary Hill Bypass. Believe it was RCMP that issued it. And as for the other one why would he tell me i was doing 60 over if i wansnt.

Found my written warning, it does not have a speed listed on it. All it says is WARNING: Speed Against Highway Sign $196.00.
When i came around the corner they were there set up with a speed gun, he even showed it to my and told me what i would be facing if he had taken my vehicle.
Previous
1977 Firebird 5.7
1987 Iroc-Z 2.5
1998 Firebird 3.8
1992 BMW 325i 2.5
1994 Dodge Ram 5.2
1996 Dodge Ram 5.9
1996 Cavalier Z22 2.2
1997 Mustang Cobra 4.6

Last edited by firebird79_00; 02-14-2012 at 07:06 PM.
firebird79_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,284 Times in 420 Posts
Quote:
Okay so this was a plan cloths officer and he gave me the good old if u dispute it I'll give u a bigger ticket in court!

I'm just curious if he is allowed to actually call my work and tell them? Seems stupid to do but that's what he said he's going to do
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
I just don't want him to see that I disputed and therefore call in to dick me around
Posted via RS Mobile
Quote:
Posted via RS Mobile
and then...

Quote:
I actually don't have a boss before this turns into a flame ws6ta thread but I am just finding out for a CLOSE friend so I'm posting about it. . But yeah that's the situation decided to get into a company car and rip it now wondering about consequences.

Sky_High is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #23

Lol I wrote it in "I" format so that I wouldn't have to keep saying "and then my friend" or "captain x" etc not that I care you can think its me that did this all I just care for the actual information. This stuffs all anonymous anyways who really knows who the hell "ws6ta" is. I could just be a lordco driver scared that I did 80 in a 30??

Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,060 Times in 1,180 Posts
Quote:
Lol I wrote it in "I" format so that I wouldn't have to keep saying "and then my friend" or "captain x" etc not that I care you can think its me that did this all I just care for the actual information. This stuffs all anonymous anyways who really knows who the hell "ws6ta" is. I could just be a lordco driver scared that I did 80 in a 30??
Well, you could be anonymous if you drove a Honda Civic, but you don't! So of course many of us have an idea who ws6ta is...

Adding to the fact that you don't exactly have the cleanest driving record out there, it isn't far fetched to assume that you did take a company car out for a "spin"...
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:13 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
The impound penalty is mandatory. You either weren't going those speeds or the officer recorded your speeds incorrectly.
The impound is mandatory only if an excessive speed ticket is issued.

There's the strong possibility that he was speeding but the officer was missing some elements to prevent him for issuing the ticket. No tracking history, just got there and had not tested the radar/laser yet, unable to get a distance on the vehicle, some officers like to get 2 laser readings before stopping a car. There's lots of possibilities

I'm pretty sure Firebird79 knows if he was moving closer to 120 or 70kph.