REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-16-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Why'd you do that for?

Demolition & Cementing

Hey All,

Family just moved in to a new place last summer and we were looking to expanding our parking area in the backyard. It is currently sitting with a single wooden car port drilled down to a cemented area. We have a large grass area and is looking to convert some of the area to cement to provide a larger cemented area.

We've had a few quotes from contractors to have it done around 6-7000$, with them doing the following work:
- Demolishing old car port
- Removing scraps of old car port
- Expanding entrance area (currently only enough room for a single car to go in/out)
- Prepping area for cement, and also providing water ways to sewers.
- Removing the existing concrete stairs/gate/wall on the left hand picture there)
- Cementing
- Removal of tree (about 4-6inches in diameter)

Is this a reasonable fair price for the current amount of work? Keep in mind that it is an older home in Burnaby. Small inside, but larger yard.

Thanks in advance!

Updated:
Here's a front view of the car port about to be removed, PLUS the concrete gate piece that has 2 small stairs that will be all flattenned. The cemented flat area will reach about one step to the left of the gate, allowing more room for multiple vehicles. We're also planning to do a gate after finishing, but figure it'd be much easier and cheaper to do things seperately.
Advertisement

Last edited by rk604; 02-18-2012 at 05:29 PM.
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:48 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
got any pics?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Why'd you do that for?

updated!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,165 Times in 594 Posts
my dad's company has done a few of these, I remember specifically I demolished one exactly like yours all by myself with nothing more than a hammer and crowbar, had to use sawzaw to cut through some bigger pieces then loaded the scrap up for the garbage depot, it only took a few hours doing it by myself... that looks to be roughly 2 maybe 3 garbage depot loads in a normal size cargo van

so I guess what they're charging a lot for then is the cementing and digging, I don't think all that is a few grand though, and also there isn't much to spend in materials on this type of job it's about $200+ roughly for disposal fees, and anywhere between $500 and $1000 in materials, so basically you're paying 5-6 grand on labor, which is a tad bit high especially when the majority of the labour is not that difficult, like I said took me a few hours myself to do

that's my honest answer to you since I'm in this business
Old 02-17-2012, 10:48 PM   #5
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
I find the quote fair, but it's a bit hard to judge without more details and a walk around the area.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-17-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Why'd you do that for?

If we had the tools and the time, I honestly wouldn't mind hackin and bashing and something. Unfortunately we don't, and investing in one will only end up in more storage space in the end.

Got a name and number to your dad's company?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-spec View Post
my dad's company has done a few of these, I remember specifically I demolished one exactly like yours all by myself with nothing more than a hammer and crowbar, had to use sawzaw to cut through some bigger pieces then loaded the scrap up for the garbage depot, it only took a few hours doing it by myself... that looks to be roughly 2 maybe 3 garbage depot loads in a normal size cargo van

so I guess what they're charging a lot for then is the cementing and digging, I don't think all that is a few grand though, and also there isn't much to spend in materials on this type of job it's about $200+ roughly for disposal fees, and anywhere between $500 and $1000 in materials, so basically you're paying 5-6 grand on labor, which is a tad bit high especially when the majority of the labour is not that difficult, like I said took me a few hours myself to do

that's my honest answer to you since I'm in this business
Old 02-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
are you looking to have the trees removed to widen the whole parking area?

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-22-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

that's atleast a couple hundre dollars in disposal....the guy will probably bring in a small bin for the day to dump it all

as for the stairs, if you want those removed, then a jack hammer will be required

there will be base material required to properly prep for the new concrete pad

couple meters in concrete will easy cost a regular guy $700+

then the added plubing to put in a drain and connect to either an exisiting drain or where ever he was going to dump the water

$6000 might be a bit much but everyones out to make a living
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
$6000+ is expensive.
The most expensive thing the contractor is paying for is the concrete..
Other then that your money will be going to labour.

Disposal, concrete base, and equipment rentals should only be around $1000.
Lets go with a high number... $1000 for concrete.. Acouple of PVC pips to connect a new drain in.. it shouldn't be more then $4000, IMO.

But hey, like everybodys saying.. the contractor has to make a living, your just paying the price for someone else to do it.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
I don't get it

do it yourself first. demo is easy. once you tire of it then call in the professionals to finish the job. it's very rewarding to do home improvements
suzuka84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #11
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
To be honest, I believe 6000 for the job is a decent price

People fail to realize that the disposal part alone would be easily $1000.
because you're going to need 2 separate roll off bins for your job. You'll need a 10 yard concrete bin, and a 30 yard demo bin. Those bins alone will be easily $800-$900 if you do not go overweight.
If you dont want to rent a bin, you can load up a pickup truck and make multiple runs to the transfer station. The true disposal fee for all of that is in the $300-400.00 range. you'll also need to factor in the truck rental cost and your time.

Once you finish demolishing the structure and concrete pad which would most likely need a skidsteer with a jackhammer attachment. You could get it cheaper if your contractor is just going to sledge it with a couple of guys. The trees will have to be removed including its roots system. This has got to be the best part, pulling roots!

Once you get all the fun smashy stuff out of the way, you will need have the area dug down to accommodate the road base/crush rock and then have it graded so water properly drains. Roadbase is cheap, you can get buy for approximately $5/tonne but the trucking fee will be around $100-150. Crush rock is expensive at $35/yard and you will also have to pay delivery on that.

after all that you can start your pour and once your concrete is dried, you will need to seal it. With all materials considered, the contractor is hovering around $2500ish in expenses before labour and equipment rental costs.

and remember, contractors aren't out to make an hourly wage they are a business and you need their expertise to have everything done properly otherwise you'll have a cracked pad after a year or 2.

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #12
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-40six View Post
are you looking to have the trees removed to widen the whole parking area?
Yes. Our current entrance is about 1.5-1.7x the width of a car. Looking to widen the entrance to about 2-2.5x. It's a bit difficult because of the cements stairs on the left hand side. Plus we're removing parts of the trees on the left hand side that's NOT shown in the picture here
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuka84 View Post
do it yourself first. demo is easy. once you tire of it then call in the professionals to finish the job. it's very rewarding to do home improvements
I agree...except I'm a student, also working full time. Just trying to get a little more info for my parents, as they are the type to just spend without doing a bit of research. I will take your advice and start demolishing the wooden pieces, as well as the trees if possible. At least that'll reduce the cost a bit.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Why'd you do that for?

Thanks everyone for your input!
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-01-2012, 02:27 AM   #15
Rs has made me the man i am today!

If you'd like to try another contractor you can contact my friend Tony Rodriguez who owns Firmbuilt Construction at 604-992-4690 or Firm Built Construction Ltd. Home he does great work and has been in the industry for over 15 years.
Posted via RS Mobile

Last edited by catalin; 03-01-2012 at 02:40 AM.
catalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Why'd you do that for?

I'll take a look, but we've gotten quotes from a few contractors, so we have a general idea of how much it cost. Don't think the rents want to contact more contractors to go through the quotes again.

Thanks though!
Posted via RS Mobile