REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Fashion & Shopping (https://www.revscene.net/forums/fashion-shopping_34/)
-   -   Anyone know where to buy formal clothes? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663210-anyone-know-where-buy-formal-clothes.html)

MilkToast 02-16-2012 10:39 PM

Anyone know where to buy formal clothes?

I'm not talking about Louis Vuitton suits or anything. But I'm talking about vests, wool cardigans, loafers, pants, stuff like that that are nice and not too expensive.

MindBomber 02-16-2012 10:39 PM

The Bay.

FN-2199 02-16-2012 10:42 PM

Le Chateau. Tip Top. The Bay.

Specifically, H&M. I've gotten a whole dressy outfit from there for pretty damn cheap.

Have a walk through Metrotown and have a blast.

evil_jigglypuff 02-16-2012 10:46 PM

Mexx outlets at Queensborough Landing and Grandview Corners. Banana Republic outlet at Grandview Corners.

insomniac 02-16-2012 11:01 PM

H&m cheap and stylish. They have trendy stuff but quality isn't the greatest. Doesn't matter as long as you take care of your clothes. $20 loafers, pants, solid color dress shirts, can't argue.
Posted via RS Mobile

Tapioca 02-20-2012 12:08 PM

I would suggest Banana Republic for your basics like wool sweaters and slacks (the retail stores only - the outlet stuff is crap.) Just watch for their sales - markdowns on top of markdowns which happen all of the time.

Club Monaco has good fabrics, though their clothing is catered to urban, hipster types and not necessarily professionals. However, they do have nice coats once in a while.

You can get away with skimping on sweaters and pants, but you really have to spend money on shoes. I used to buy Aldo shoes in my early 20s, but their workmanship and leathers have really gone downhill since the late 90s. For shoes that won't break the bank, I would suggest Cole Haan. They're tough to find locally, so head down to the States. You can easily find a pair of classic penny loafers or Oxfords for $200 which will last and can easily be re-soled. Moreover, they're owned by Nike and many shoes feature Nike Air technology for extra comfort.

And remember - women always judge a man by his shoes.
Posted via RS Mobile

woob 02-20-2012 01:55 PM

High end shoes: Allen Edmonds, Tods, or Alden. Get some shoe trees and polish and take of them and they will last you a decade.

areyounoob 02-20-2012 02:38 PM

For loafers you can check out Gravity Pope.
Their Bass penny loafers :fullofwin:

Matlock 02-20-2012 02:51 PM

I just recently bought a pair of Blundstone Chiseltoes. They are awesome boots which you can either dress up or down. Very durable and comfortable.

$180, but totally worth the money and they really do last forever. They look good with either my jeans or with my suit. They pretty much go with anything.

To tell you the truth, I also have a pair of steeltoes made by Blundstone for work and they have been through all sorts of shit. I would definitely recommend this brand to anyone.

http://fototime.com/%7B00FBD844-F1B4...t/DSC_0388.jpg
Not my picture.

azn_beef 02-20-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7803189)
I would suggest Banana Republic for your basics like wool sweaters and slacks (the retail stores only - the outlet stuff is crap.) Just watch for their sales - markdowns on top of markdowns which happen all of the time.

Club Monaco has good fabrics, though their clothing is catered to urban, hipster types and not necessarily professionals. However, they do have nice coats once in a while.

You can get away with skimping on sweaters and pants, but you really have to spend money on shoes. I used to buy Aldo shoes in my early 20s, but their workmanship and leathers have really gone downhill since the late 90s. For shoes that won't break the bank, I would suggest Cole Haan. They're tough to find locally, so head down to the States. You can easily find a pair of classic penny loafers or Oxfords for $200 which will last and can easily be re-soled. Moreover, they're owned by Nike and many shoes feature Nike Air technology for extra comfort.

And remember - women always judge a man by his shoes.
Posted via RS Mobile

I couldn't have worded that any different.

miss_crayon 02-20-2012 02:55 PM

For a woman, I buy all my work clothes from Banana Republic. It CAN get pricey but they have sales all the time. Sign up for their newsletter and guaranteed coupons on the weekly.

StylinRed 02-20-2012 03:46 PM

eddie bauer? sears? the bay?

Lands End Canada | Casual Clothes, Outerwear, Swimwear, School Uniforms & More <for online few ppl i know swear by them and also heard about it on cnn :crazy2: site doesnt look bad

Tapioca 02-20-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by areyounoob (Post 7803309)
For loafers you can check out Gravity Pope.
Their Bass penny loafers :fullofwin:

Gravity Pope has a good selection, but their prices are ridiculous (even when they have sales.)

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the Bay Downtown is a hidden gem during sale season (late June, mid-July and after Christmas.) They carry high-end stuff and sometimes you can get lucky with a 50% markdown on top of another markdown. Sometimes, you'll also get lucky on Browns' online store.

But, otherwise, hit the Seattle Premium Outlets and the Cole Haan outlet. Buy 2-3 pairs for less than $500 and you'll be good to go.

LIKEABOSS 02-20-2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matlock (Post 7803321)
I just recently bought a pair of Blundstone Chiseltoes. They are awesome boots which you can either dress up or down. Very durable and comfortable.

$180, but totally worth the money and they really do last forever. They look good with either my jeans or with my suit. They pretty much go with anything.

To tell you the truth, I also have a pair of steeltoes made by Blundstone for work and they have been through all sorts of shit. I would definitely recommend this brand to anyone.

http://fototime.com/%7B00FBD844-F1B4...t/DSC_0388.jpg
Not my picture.

Those shoes look good. Any local stores carry them? Thanks. :D

kwy 02-20-2012 08:16 PM

Zara. I'm a skinnier guy, so that place is like heaven for me.

rb 02-20-2012 09:06 PM

Winners. Downtown Winners has the best selection for dress shirts, ties, suits, shoes, etc.

artmotion 02-20-2012 09:24 PM

Try out Custom Suits & Mens Suits | Indochino I heard they do really awesome work and it's pretty affordable. And like Tapioca and miss_crayon mentioned, Banana Republic is great. Check out the outlet for really good deals around the American holidays.

finaldestinyx 02-28-2012 02:03 AM

if you are a more slender person, try zara! they have slim fit everything! asian guys galore :D

busdriverman 02-28-2012 12:33 PM

try zara

the prices are not too ridiculous and they fit nicely if you are slim

cho 02-28-2012 12:47 PM

+1 to zara got some nice cardigans there for not too expensive

unit 02-28-2012 01:29 PM

brooks brothers

Matlock 02-28-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIKEABOSS (Post 7803628)
Those shoes look good. Any local stores carry them? Thanks. :D

I bought mine from Australian Boot Co.
1968 4th Ave W Vancouver, BC V6J 1M5
(604) 738-2668

When I bought my second pair they gave me a discount! Awesome.

Tapioca 02-29-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cho (Post 7812830)
+1 to zara got some nice cardigans there for not too expensive

I would have recommended Zara 2-3 years ago, but in order to keep prices low, they now use blends in the majority of their clothing. In my opinion, polyester should only be used for athletic clothing. Natural fabrics such as wool and cotton simply wear, feel, and look better.

It's like buying shoes from Aldo or Steve Madden - sure they're fashion forward, but they'll look like crap in 6 months.
Posted via RS Mobile

bcrdukes 02-29-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 7814356)
It's like buying shoes from Aldo or Steve Madden - sure they're fashion forward, but they'll look like crap in 6 months.

Not to mention, they also fall apart in 6 months. :heckno:

kwy 02-29-2012 05:11 PM

Clothes from Zara are definitely a little flimsy, but if its dress wear you're probably not wearing it every day-unless you work in an office or something. I wear a suit maybe 4-5 times a year.