REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Miscellaneous Tech & Tools

Miscellaneous Tech & Tools THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Got an ATV or snowmobile you need to fix? Or are you wondering what the hell a crowfoot socket is for? Come on in and ask away!

Old 02-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Bleeder - clutch

I want to work on my clutch (removing a valve) and need to bleed the clutch afterwards. I've never bled brakes before, nevermind a clutch, so what are my options?

I can get someone to help me with "buddy method" and close the valve after each clutch press, yet I'd rather just do it myself if I can find a tool that will allow me to for a decent price (or free if someone can lend me one, or even give me a hand since I've never done this before).
Advertisement
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

you can't use pressure pumps (pressure bleeder kits) on hydraulic clutches. you must get a buddy to assist you with this one. pressure bleeders are only good for bleeding brakes. oh and don't forget to bleed first, then remove valve!
norph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
Banned By Establishment

you could gravity bleed it if you're not getting a ton of air in the system (like when you replace an M/c). open the bleeder and let it drip out. this is also a good way to bleed calipers on high mileage cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by norph View Post
you can't use pressure pumps (pressure bleeder kits) on hydraulic clutches. you must get a buddy to assist you with this one. pressure bleeders are only good for bleeding brakes. oh and don't forget to bleed first, then remove valve!
why can't you?
nickmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmak View Post
you could gravity bleed it if you're not getting a ton of air in the system (like when you replace an M/c). open the bleeder and let it drip out. this is also a good way to bleed calipers on high mileage cars

why can't you?
Never tried it, but I was only going by the instructions on the kit's manual. I have a pressure bleeder and only use it for my brakes. I get a buddy to work the pedal when I bleed my clutch.
norph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

it's not actually too difficult to do... before you even start removing the lines to your valve that you want to remove, make sure you have the correct size flare nut wrenches! otherwise called "line wrenches"

also, open the clutch bleeder before you start... make sure you can get fluid out of there first... no sense doing the job if the bleeder is seized.

remove/replace the valve/orifice and then let your clutch gravity bleed... then use a stick to push your clutch pedal down all the way and wedge it against your seat or something to keep the pedal down... then close the bleeder... remove the stick and see if your clutch pedal feels normal... it should feel just like it did before the work...
fng@regencyauto.com
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote