REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Custom bookcases

So I just bought a townhouse and I really want to install a couple of floor to ceiling bookcases beside my fireplace. Im mechanically inclined but when it comes to home renovations I wouldnt know the difference between a claw hammer and mc hammer. So I wanna know what it's gonna typically cost to have someone build and install it for me. or is it really easy to do and I'm just too lazy.

Basically I want it to look exactly like the pic. Color and everything. My unit is very similar. has the fireplace already. Just need the bookcases. Any kind of help Would be appreciated. Thanks!

Quote:
Advertisement
accordpoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
pm matlock I know he does this kind of stuff... or i think so give him a message anyways
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #3

Hey thanks! Anybody else have any input?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,079 Times in 368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
pm matlock I know he does this kind of stuff... or i think so give him a message anyways
Actually, not exactly. Thanks anyways, Jimmy. Haha.

I'm an electrician by trade, so anything electrical I could do for you, but otherwise I'm no carpenter. (I do misc handyman stuff at home for myself, but I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting money for it)

For the type of work involved in your pictures you would probably want a real carpenter with access to the special types of veneer materials required to build those bookcases.

Best of luck.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #5

I've been quoted $3000. Is that reasonable?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

$3000 for custom cabinets it a great deal.
Does that include paint too?

Otherwise find something at IKEA and then simply add trim around it - way easier than building the whole thing start to finish.
shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #7

Yes including paint. I was thinking it was gonna be around 2-3k. I looked at ikea and none of their cabinets have that quality fit and finish that I'm hoping to accomplish. a couple of guys on rs pm'd me with contractors they know so I'll give them a call tomorow and see what thy say.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
$3k is a bit higher than I would have expected the quote to be, but not by much at all. I would happily pay a contractor who does an exceptional job that amount, because it's quite a bit of work between cutting, painting and install.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #9

The saying "you get what you pay for" comes up when I'm thinking of doing it myself. Lol it's gonna be a focal point in the room and I don't want to mess it up I take possession in march but not going move in until April so I'll have time to shop around. I hate it when they make the show home soooo nice so you want to make it look just like it
Old 02-20-2012, 07:21 PM   #10
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock View Post
Actually, not exactly. Thanks anyways, Jimmy. Haha.

I'm an electrician by trade, so anything electrical I could do for you, but otherwise I'm no carpenter. (I do misc handyman stuff at home for myself, but I wouldn't feel comfortable accepting money for it)

For the type of work involved in your pictures you would probably want a real carpenter with access to the special types of veneer materials required to build those bookcases.

Best of luck.
damn saw your facebook was like I'm sure he can.....
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-20-2012, 09:29 PM   #11
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by accordpoop View Post
The saying "you get what you pay for" comes up when I'm thinking of doing it myself. Lol it's gonna be a focal point in the room and I don't want to mess it up I take possession in march but not going move in until April so I'll have time to shop around. I hate it when they make the show home soooo nice so you want to make it look just like it
With building cabinetry it would be very difficult to come out ahead doing it yourself, because you need quite a few very expensive tools. A decent table saw or track saw alone is a quick $750. That's before you even factor in the difference in quality of the pro versus diy attempt. It's things like tile, painting, laying pre-finished hardwood that you can come out ahead doing your own labour.

When you take possession don't be shy about pointing out any minor deficiencies that you want repaired, most builders are really good at following through with minor fix ups. I've worked with builders who don't even use the same contractors to build the perfect show home, as they do the production units.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #12
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Hey you must living at Blume..i bought and moved into there as well.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Also have you tried contacting the decorator who does up the showroom? We did that to get a quote but I can't remember it now. Call Tara Desmond and she can give you the number.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #14
RS controls my life!

Do it yourself! Looks pretty basic. Doesnt have moldings or anything fancy.

Last edited by hopalong; 02-26-2012 at 09:26 AM.
hopalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
Hey you must living at Blume..i bought and moved into there as well.
Nice to know ill have a rs neighbor

Flipped through my contacts and found an old high school friend that does kitchen cabinets now. Ill give him the measurements and I'll just get the materials I need from him And he'll cut them up in his shop. We'll install it over a case of beers nd shoot the shit about the good ol days
This post thanked by: