REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Is it possible to be sued over a claim that had already been settled (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663556-possible-sued-over-claim-had-already-been-settled.html)

lilaznviper 02-22-2012 10:43 PM

Is it possible to be sued over a claim that had already been settled

Is it possible to get sued for an accident 2 years ago that was settled through icbc? Friend got a letter saying he is being sued for an accident that happened 2 years ago, but it was settled with icbc 2 years ago.

Sky_High 02-22-2012 11:10 PM

I thought the longest, from the original date of accident was 2 years, aka 24 months?

How nearr that "2 years ago" are you? under or over?

ruthless 02-23-2012 12:41 PM

The case may have been settled from your friends side but not the other individual. Your friend may have settled his case with ICBC but the other party may still have ongoing injuries and issues that are still at hand, and probably did not settle the injury claim.

We got one of these as well but ICBC told us not to worry and they will be representing us on their behalf, providing a lawyer, and doing everything else. Lawyer called us initially and that was the last we heard of her until we received the letter from them saying the case had been settled. The worse case scenario would be having to go into court and giving a statement. The other party settled within the month I believe outside of court with ICBC and that was it.

Ruthless & Associates Inc.

Quacks 02-23-2012 06:47 PM

Yup, they have 24 months to pursue legal action. I caused a collision in 2007 and got notification of legal action against me in 2009 (I think about 21 months have elapsed in my case). The letter just told me to call the lawyer retained by ICBC and when I did, she just asked me if I had other 3rd party insurance (kind of scared me a bit since I had 1 million in third party liability insurance at the time).

^ Haven't heard anything else since that letter in 2009. Do they always mail out notices of settlement once they've reached it?

ruthless 02-23-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacks (Post 7807186)
Yup, they have 24 months to pursue legal action. I caused a collision in 2007 and got notification of legal action against me in 2009 (I think about 21 months have elapsed in my case). The letter just told me to call the lawyer retained by ICBC and when I did, she just asked me if I had other 3rd party insurance (kind of scared me a bit since I had 1 million in third party liability insurance at the time).

^ Haven't heard anything else since that letter in 2009. Do they always mail out notices of settlement once they've reached it?

Don't know if they always do but I would expect them to, I know we received one. Maybe the dispute is still going on...