REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)

solo travel to japan

i want to visit japan , but at the moment i dont have anyone to go with me. does anyone now any travel agency or tour groups that cater to solo travellers and are on the cheaper side
Advertisement
fonz70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

To me that doesn't sound like you're staying a long time.. Solo is probably the best, stay in town, take the JR railways and discover by buying a guide. That's most exciting.. the people are warm and nice, you just have to ask slowly.

You can easily get business hotels for under $60 a night with a great sized bed AND breakfast in a central area.
abdulclamwacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

solo traveling to japan is a great experience. not only because its one of the safest countries to travel to but everything is quite foreigner friendly even if you don't speak/read the language. id never recommend taking a tour there since its so accessible. i never even brought a guidebook or map there.

i was solo for about 2 weeks of my 1 month there. never had any problems. granted, the time i went i met up with a few friends that live in japan.

going again next week solo for 8 days. can't wait to be there again.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2012, 03:30 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
I'm writing this from the toilet of a capsule hotel right now solo is fun if you don't mind feeling isolated and unless you are the outgoing type who makes friends with everyone around you, you WILL get lonely.

You should not have to pay more than $50 a night for a hotel in Tokyo.
Posted via RS Mobile
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I'm writing this from the toilet of a capsule hotel right now solo is fun if you don't mind feeling isolated and unless you are the outgoing type who makes friends with everyone around you, you WILL get lonely.

Posted via RS Mobile
forgot to mention part about being lonely lol. yeah it does get lonely and but obviously ur daily interactions with locals will keep u sane. id recommend staying at a hostel if ur the type to get lonely. a lot of ppl there are in the same boat. saw quite a few strangers meet friends there. didnt really bother to do that though seeing as i had my own itinerary.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:

Posted via RS Mobile
50 per night. why so cheap. in vancouver, bc you have to pay at least 100 or more a night-and that for a cheap one
Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonz70 View Post
50 per night. why so cheap. in vancouver, bc you have to pay at least 100 or more a night-and that for a cheap one
it's not for everyone but personally i would just go solo and stay in hostels rather than on a guided tour. if you want someone to talk to just strike up a conversation with a non-asian looking person. that's what i did. they're pretty easy to spot. yeah you could find a hotel in vancouver for waaaaay cheaper than 100. OP you're not looking hard enough.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Travel is very popular here and there is a lot of competition if you know where to look. Saturdays are usually expensive. My hotel in ikebukuro was 4800 yen a night, and the capsule in Kyoto was 2800. Hotels are definitely preferred over a capsule, but I would stay in a capsule over a hostel every time.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #9
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
I know this sounds far fetched, but with the radiation, tsunami, natural disasters of 2011, how much of an impact does it have on the traveller? It's not so much the idea of undergoing a second tsunami, but the left over radiation from the crisis.

I've always had plans to go to japan someday, but the thought of this has always been something that has kinda given me second thoughts.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Travel is very popular here and there is a lot of competition if you know where to look. Saturdays are usually expensive. My hotel in ikebukuro was 4800 yen a night, and the capsule in Kyoto was 2800. Hotels are definitely preferred over a capsule, but I would stay in a capsule over a hostel every time.
why capsule over hostel? any reasons???

can u get around jp with very little speaking japanese and cant read or write jp.
what do u do? just get a ticket and book a hostel and get a map and just go from there. seems too adventurous and sponsteanous and little dangerous scary to me. you dont even now the country or anyone there
Old 03-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
無敵

Sorry to jack thread, but any decent hotels for around that price?
Going with 2 people doesn't really work well for hostel/capsule style.
Thanks~

@fanz70 You can definitely get around pretty easily in Japan without being able to speak/read/write(why would you need to write?).
There's tons to do over there even if you're alone, you might end up with new friends or a traveling partner if you are end up staying at a social hostel place. Just pick a few places that you must see and you'll encounter things you want to check out along the way. =D Ahh, you make me want to go right now.

muteki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyComplex View Post
Sorry to jack thread, but any decent hotels for around that price?
Going with 2 people doesn't really work well for hostel/capsule style.
Thanks~

@fanz70 You can definitely get around pretty easily in Japan without being able to speak/read/write(why would you need to write?).
There's tons to do over there even if you're alone, you might end up with new friends or a traveling partner if you are end up staying at a social hostel place. Just pick a few places that you must see and you'll encounter things you want to check out along the way. =D Ahh, you make me want to go right now.
if u got a group of 3, maybe look into renting out a place on airbnb. split it between 3 ppl and u could get a nicely furnished place in a central area. did the work for u as well...for example.

Tokyo Loft (Naka Meguro/Daikanyama) in Meguro
Shibuya`Times Square` 5 min on foot in Shibuya

japan is a lot more affordable nowadays than ever. if u want an affordable but small business hotel, heard good things about sakura hotel. i wouldnt write off hostels either. the hostels in japan are very well maintained and taken care of (this is for the better ones of course). id recommend k's house tokyo in kuramae. they also have a 2nd location in tokyo a few minutes away at asakusa.

and to restate it, japan is very foreigner friendly. u will have no problems getting around. it would not hurt to know a bit of japanese though.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
why capsule over hostel? any reasons???
capsule i'd do anyways just for the experience. it's uniquely japan.

Quote:
can u get around jp with very little speaking japanese and cant read or write jp.
what do u do? just get a ticket and book a hostel and get a map and just go from there.
yeah pretty much. i got by in japan knowing about 5 phrases?

Quote:
seems too adventurous and sponsteanous and little dangerous scary to me. you dont even now the country or anyone there
if you're not adventurous and spontaneous, now would be a good opportunity to work that muscle. as mentioned by others. people in japan are friendly. there are cops on almost every couple blocks in tokyo. you can ask them for directions. they're more than willing to help. as for dangerous, japan is one of the safest places you could travel to.
Farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
I know this sounds far fetched, but with the radiation, tsunami, natural disasters of 2011, how much of an impact does it have on the traveller? It's not so much the idea of undergoing a second tsunami, but the left over radiation from the crisis.
There is no radiation that is dangerous. Never was.

But the currency is completely ruined. When I first went there, 1000¥ was about $8. Now it's more like $15! Almost double! Prices are RIDICULOUS. You can't eat a "normal" meal for less than $15,so you would have to eat on a strict budget which means crap food, and missing out on the best thing about japan.
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-02-2012, 10:40 PM   #15

with the rise of the canadian dollar and the drop in the yen, its getting a lot better. i bought yen around 1 cad = 75 yen before i left canada around 3 weeks ago. right now its trading at about 1 cad = 82-83 yen. its almost on par with when i went in june 09 at 1 cad = 86 yen.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #16
Blood tests positive for LOL mod

Thanked 1,263 Times in 325 Posts
Quote:
I also had no problem staying in the capsules. It was a great sleep every time I did. Locals poked fun of me for it but I didn't see the problem.
To them it's like paying for a drunk tank with a single room

artofstance
Buy/Sell Rating
Proud member of G.R.A.P.E -- Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts
Mananetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 02:19 AM   #17
LYC
I don't get it

Use Japanese sites when booking hotels. Rates for the Japanese will always be cheaper. I usually use RakutenTravel: Japan's Hotel and Ryokan reservation mega site because its in english and its easy to use.

Lots of hotels have triple rooms. Me and my friends go into Sapporo quite a bit and usually pay around 3000-4000 yen per person in nice hotels. For example the Mercure in the main entertainment district was 9000 yen for 3 king size beds.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #18

for anyone looking to book activities in english in tokyo, take a look at findjpn on google. i would think it would be great for those going alone since at least u get some kind of interaction with ppl rather than being
Old 03-16-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
for anyone looking to book activities in english in tokyo, take a look at findjpn on google. i would think it would be great for those going alone since at least u get some kind of interaction with ppl rather than being
^ one of their activities: "shopping with japanese lolitas" lol
Old 03-16-2012, 10:18 PM   #20
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

i will be in japan from apr11-26 with a buddy if anyone wants to meet up.

hows busy are hostels/hotels/etc. during this time? busy enough that we have to book everything like a week in advance or can just show up on the day and stay the night. we are only doing like 2-3days each city.
reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #21

ALWAYS book in advance. Always
Posted via RS Mobile
This post thanked by:
Old 03-18-2012, 11:28 AM   #22
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

is a couple days enough or are we talking weeks in advance?
reza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #23
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I stayed in an apartment from Sakura House when I was in Japan for a bit more than 3 months. Way cheaper than hotel rooms, especially if you're there for awhile.

They have multiple hostels around Tokyo, I think. Good prices and quite clean.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by reza View Post
is a couple days enough or are we talking weeks in advance?
Weeks if not months, especially on weekends. Like I said, Japanese love to travel, and hotels book up fast during popular travel times.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #25
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
if you need some more information,this is a good site to check out,i used it once while i was in japan for a month......ended up getting some western food imported and shipped to my door in a box while there lol.

Select a category | EnglishFriendlyJapan.com