REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 02-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
ND Filters

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone here uses ND filters (either straight or grad, screw-on or plate).

I was thinking about getting a ND filter for my 10-22, but I'm not sure where to start. I was looking into getting a 2-stop screw-on ND from maxsaver, and maybe a grad-ND plate.

Any idea how much a grad-ND plate would be locally? And I guess a 77mm 2-stop ND filter?
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
ddr
Snapping away

i'm sure single ND filters would be sharper but i'm in the market for a vari-ND. lightcraft or singh-ray ...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
I am grateful grapefruit

When I got my Vari-ND, there was a warning saying it won't work with a UWA. I tried it, and it creates a big discrepancy of the ND effect between the edges and the middle.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
ddr
Snapping away

interesting... good to know. i guess now the thread can be totally on topic for the OP
Old 02-25-2012, 12:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
When I got my Vari-ND, there was a warning saying it won't work with a UWA. I tried it, and it creates a big discrepancy of the ND effect between the edges and the middle.
I didn't think it would have the same inconsistencies as using a CPL on a UWA. Were you using a screw on? Or one of the Cokin/Lee plates?

There's always Lightroom and the gradient/ND tool I guess- but I figure it's one less step in post if I had the filter in the first place.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #6

Seeing as this thread is kind of dead, I figured I'd make a last ditch result for some answers-

B&H and Adorama seem to be sold out of Lee filters more or less. Any places locally that carry the plate filters from Lee/Singh-ray? It looks like Broadway/Lens&Shutter don't carry plates. Last time I was in Leos they didn't seem to carry any at the time.

Senna, does Beau carry them?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:09 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i use a 10stop ND (B+W) from time to time (if there's uhh ample time to do long exposures), and have a 2 stop soft grad plate (cokin). i don't have much of a UWA, just 24mm on a FF and there's vignetting (?) when using either plate or the 10stop.

kerrisdale carries a line of the cheaper cokin plate filters
moky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
I didn't think it would have the same inconsistencies as using a CPL on a UWA. Were you using a screw on? Or one of the Cokin/Lee plates?

There's always Lightroom and the gradient/ND tool I guess- but I figure it's one less step in post if I had the filter in the first place.
basically a vari-nd is 2 CPL's put back to back. when you rotate one, it creates the ND effect.

It was a screw on - one that jordanlee recommended. cheapo one off ebay that actually works quite well.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
ddr
Snapping away

so did it have inconsistencies because it was low quality? or that's just how vari-ND's work on UWA's?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr View Post
so did it have inconsistencies because it was low quality? or that's just how vari-ND's work on UWA's?
that's how vari-nd's work on UWA's.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. Can't demo it at night.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
basically a vari-nd is 2 CPL's put back to back. when you rotate one, it creates the ND effect.

It was a screw on - one that jordanlee recommended. cheapo one off ebay that actually works quite well.
Interesting. If I see correctly, it's just a filter that has "multiple densities"?

It would make sense to see those discrepancies in a UWA, considering a CPL by itself shows it let alone two.

I did a bit of snooping, and with my particular setup it looks like I can get away with Cokin-P/85 type filters for what I want. This thread cleared things up:

10-22 EF-S & Grad Neutral Density Filter_ sample

The filters can be bought from www.2filter.com, based out of New Hampshire. I'll hear from them tomorrow to see how much shipping is to Canada, otherwise it'll be the old Blaine pickup.

Edit: Just get it from B&H. A bit more expensive, but easier to order from.

Last edited by m3thods; 03-01-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #12
I am grateful grapefruit

sorry, I did some reading, and a vari-nd is a linear polarizer with a CPL mounted on top. by rotating it, they both cut out opposite spectrums of light, thus creating the ND effect.

I don't find a CPL by itself does too much banding on a UWA unless you point it at the sky. but I never did too much testing with that.