REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #1
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
laser jammers - legal or not legal

From what I understand, it is legal to buy, legal to sell and legal to install a laser jammer or shifter in a car or truck in BC. So if it is illegal to actually use, who is resonsible for the ticket? The operator of the vehicle or the shop or person that installed it?

Keeping in mind that the owner of the vehicle was made aware of its illegality prior to the installation of the unit, how would a dispute pan out?

Any information is appreciated.
Advertisement

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:26 PM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I don't see how it's any different than other products being sold that are for "Off Road Use Only". When a person is caught using such a product (headlight/taillight covers, hid lights, led strip, etc...) it's the person that gets the ticket, not the installer or the retailer.

If the operator of the vehicle has been made aware of the illegality, it would be the operator who would be responsible for the ticket. If you are concerned about protecting yourself, in the future get a written acknowledgement from the customer prior to install saying that they are aware it is illegal to use the product for the purpose of ......

I'm sure you can figure out the exact writing to use in the Acknowledgement.
Uncle Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
I thought "laser jammers" had been proven ineffective?

MythBusters Episode 18: Beat the Radar Detector
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

laser jammers - legal or not illegal

wouldn't not illegal= Legal.... So your title is laser jammers - legal or legal.....

And yes they are illegal
Prolowtone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

.....none say nething about high end jammers...
They used like home made diy things....
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:55 PM   #6
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Is there a specific section in the big old law book that somebody has a link to?
It'd be nice to have something concrete to point to for future reference.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:00 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

Lol those are crappy techniques! Of course they won't work. A real jammer is a high tech device that blinds laser guns rendering them unable to get a speed reading. Super illegal. What people usually do is use it in combo with a detector. When they get laserer, brake and then turn it off
Posted via RS Mobile
optiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #8

:

http://www.revscene.net/forums/64701...or-works.html#

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
You might want to do a search on the topic of Laser jammers...case law in BC for using one...a criminal code conviction for obstructing a Police Officer when you get caught. The Police Laser tells the operator that it is being jammed. I was involved personally in one seizure and conviction. As the Laser gets your speed reading in 1/3 of a second you might consider how you can detect the Laser reading and slow down below the limit in less than 1/3 of a second?
Quote:
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #9
The Lone Wanderator

Thanked 4,367 Times in 1,137 Posts
I think the issue here is that orgasm donor works with a shop and probably has a customer who wants a laser hanger installed, but is worried about lability issues if his customer gets a ticket; who is liable, him or customer and what would be needed to ensure he can prove the customer was informed of its illegal status.
Posted via RS Mobile
Graeme S is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of 4G Jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
BlaineByrnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:24 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineByrnside View Post
The activity of the animal beings has become acutely active everywhere on this earth. Bodies do not get time to booty a blow for a while. With the accretion use of altered gadgets of Gps Jammer, the possibilities of accepting the aboriginal of blow accept absolutely finished. The adaptable phones or the corpuscle phones are some of these accessories that accumulate the bodies consistently in blow with the alfresco world. The adaptable building are additionally accessible about everywhere these canicule and due to this the accessibility of the Cell Phone Jammer has become alike added quick and authentic. Today, you cannot break out of ability of these adaptable building as their signals can bolt your about anywhere. The bearings of bodies who accord to altered business professions has become actual analytical of 4G Jammer as their authorities bolt them anywhere any moment.
:

Spoiler!

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 AM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:

To use a quote from my troubled youth.........."that's some good s**t you're smokin there dude!"
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #13
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
i highly doubt the installer would be held liable as long as you inform the customer

why not write up a document stating that he acknowledges and understands the illegality of operating a lazer jammer and that he does not hold (your shop) liable for any future problems, financially or criminally, then get him to sign and date before starting any work? we do that at my workplace anytime a customer asks us to do something within our power, but could wind up biting us - things like rust
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 11:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Tic Tac, is that you?
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 05-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #15
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

My 9500ci works perfectly
JordanLawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #16
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,911 Times in 3,872 Posts
Holy thread bump batman.

That said, don't most shops have disclaimers at the bottom of the bill?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote