REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Manufacturer Tech Forums > Euro Tech Resources

Euro Tech Resources All Euros (VW, BMW, Benz, Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) Tech info
THIS ADSPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT

Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

advice needed for BMW veterans.

This is my first BMW so im not too familiar with it, if i can get some of you BMW veterans' advice that would be great.
The car is 2008 328i 28500km

So on cold start ups, the engine rpm shoots to around 1200 rpm then slowly drops to 600 rpm, like every other car, but when the rpm is dropping the rpm bounces and car shakes a little bit, once it gets to 600 rpm everything is fine, theres no rpm bounce or shake at 600 idle rpm. Theres no engine light or warning light. Car runs fine. The rpm bouces at start up only occurs occasionally. when it does happen it only happens breifly. I don't know if it's misfire or what, but is this normal, or should i bring it in?

Even though i have CPO if i bring it in and it is normal they gonna charge me 200$. Do anyone have a BT tool that can read 2008 328i error codes?
Advertisement
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #2
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
What you describe sounds normal to me. As your car warms up the revs drop slowly until it settles at idle.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy View Post
What you describe sounds normal to me. As your car warms up the revs drop slowly until it settles at idle.
thnx for your reply, what about the rpm bouncing while its warming up, is that normal too? or do you think it's misfires.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:43 PM   #4
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Check the mass airflow sensor and or throttle body.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #5
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Get the car scanned, if there is really a misfire it will show up at GT1 or something similar (they are common among enthusiasts). If you are really concerned leave the car at one of the BMW specialized shops eg Nixon etc.. let them test the car during different times of the day.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkttsang View Post
This is my first BMW so im not too familiar with it, if i can get some of you BMW veterans' advice that would be great.
The car is 2008 328i 28500km

So on cold start ups, the engine rpm shoots to around 1200 rpm then slowly drops to 600 rpm, like every other car, but when the rpm is dropping the rpm bounces and car shakes a little bit, once it gets to 600 rpm everything is fine, theres no rpm bounce or shake at 600 idle rpm. Theres no engine light or warning light. Car runs fine. The rpm bouces at start up only occurs occasionally. when it does happen it only happens breifly. I don't know if it's misfire or what, but is this normal, or should i bring it in?

Even though i have CPO if i bring it in and it is normal they gonna charge me 200$. Do anyone have a BT tool that can read 2008 328i error codes?
My car did that until the Vanos solenoid failed, and my car died in the middle of the road. If its a CPO and still under warranty they'll charge you like $50 deductible if they have to replace the solenoids.
pb.kidz is offline   Reply With Quote