REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 02-28-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Personal training

Hey guys, I thought of posting in the sports and fitness section, but I figured I might be able to get a better response here. Anyone here do personal training? I'm planning on getting certified in a year or two, but I'm still in the midst of confusion on how the job market actually works. How would I build a clientelle from scratch? How would I market my services? Could I start of working for a gym as an employee and if so how would I approach this?
Advertisement

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #2
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Friend started out at fitness world front desk and went from there...now he makes stacks
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Did he have any training or degrees?
yellowpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
i train with a personal trainer right now. he says the secret is having low/flexible prices to maintain clients all throughout the year. his high prices are new years - summer and slows down for fall winter.

he is also a bodybuilder that competes. so he's not all book smarts. i like that-
i find that guys at fitness world or XYZ gym are all book smart.

my only issue is, my guy isn't as reliable. he's good but he could be more organized.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #5

^how much do you pay him?
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #6
Treasure Chest MOD

I teach martial arts/self defense classes sometimes that involves alot of stretching, cardio, and other fitness components. I'm not a bodybuilder, and I don't look very big, i'm only 5'7, but I'm a pretty fit and muscular guy, have toned muscles (pecs, abs, delts, traps, quads, calves, although they aren't very big but they are all toned and very visible). So I wouldn't say I'd be all books and what not. I just don't know how well I'd be able to sell myself if I don't have the large and massive bodybuilder figure..

When I do get my license though, I'd be willing to offer really cheap rates for you guys? LOL

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
i train with a personal trainer right now. he says the secret is having low/flexible prices to maintain clients all throughout the year. his high prices are new years - summer and slows down for fall winter.

he is also a bodybuilder that competes. so he's not all book smarts. i like that-
i find that guys at fitness world or XYZ gym are all book smart.

my only issue is, my guy isn't as reliable. he's good but he could be more organized.
Do you know this guy through a gym? Or are you a private client?

Old 02-28-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Best bet would be to make friends with the personal trainers and staff at your local gym and from there the management can see that your are dedicated and outgoing and that type of bullshit which makes you stand out from the crowd. Then all you have to do is ask if there is any potential openings.

MY FEEDBACK
jimzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowpower View Post
^how much do you pay him?
intro sessions worked out to $25/hr and I wanted another month so he cut me a deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Do you know this guy through a gym? Or are you a private client?
through a local gym/referral.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #10

Damn $25 an hour is so damn cheap lol i always thought the majority of personal trainers were atleast $50.

How many hours do you do at a time?
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #11
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I had a private personal trainer that I found while he was working out at my gym and I ended up paying around $1000 for 4 months 3 times a week also included my meal plans! BUt this guy was a crank monkey but he had a very good way of teaching me! He told me that it's very tough in the business to make money cause to many people do it and its hard to keep clientS!
tarunpatel03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
G0d damn $1000 for 4 months?, i was thinking of being a part time pt too but i'm teaching taekwondo atm..

If personal trainers are jucing money out of you then you're better off getting another one or just being your own personal trainer
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:13 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Yeat it works out to about $50 a session but mines was more than an hr and he made meal plans which worked for me
tarunpatel03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:31 PM   #14
MiX iT Up!

Quote:
Damn $25 an hour is so damn cheap lol i always thought the majority of personal trainers were atleast $50.

How many hours do you do at a time?
1hr , 3 times a week , 12 sessions - intro
1hr , 2 times a week, 8 sessions - month 2

*he charged me less than what the math works out to

I also got a meal plan - it was too generic for me. Am not using it.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:51 AM   #15
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

I have tons of motivation so I know that's not the problem, I think the only issue I would have is biting my tougue the whole training session if I had some dbag(always flexing in the mirror, jersey shore haircut, full matching under armour attire) to train. I would start off by posting a picture of yourself on kijiji and offer personal training at a reasonable rate & if you are good word of mouth can make you huge. Gl
sevewone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
do trainers even make that much? my friend wants to pursue in a human kinetics degree just for being a personal trainer.. do they even need one? lol
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #17
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Don't mean to jack this thread, but i too am looking towards personal training as a career for a school project. I'm sort of interested, at this stage its all still kind of new, with all those questions instantneedles asked.(hehe, i m 15)

Is there anyone who knows a personal trainer and can ask him if i can ask him a few questions for an "interview?"
Please and thank you.
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #18
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdasco View Post
do trainers even make that much? my friend wants to pursue in a human kinetics degree just for being a personal trainer.. do they even need one? lol
You won't need one to become qualified to do work as a personal trainer. All you need is a personal trainer license. However, from what I know, I find that with this job, the more qualified you are, the more credible you are. So with a human kinetics degree, you possess an ample more knowledge than a personal trainer who doesn't. It's all about making onself more approachable and more competitive in the fitness industry.

Last edited by instantneedles; 02-29-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevewone View Post
I have tons of motivation so I know that's not the problem, I think the only issue I would have is biting my tougue the whole training session if I had some dbag(always flexing in the mirror, jersey shore haircut, full matching under armour attire) to train. I would start off by posting a picture of yourself on kijiji and offer personal training at a reasonable rate & if you are good word of mouth can make you huge. Gl
not sure if serious

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Just got a "free trial" at Steve Nash Sporfs Club. They charge $75+ an hour. That's pretty insane considering they have university/college kids running that place.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #21
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
$75..

phozy i know a guy from fw, only decent trainer there lol
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM   #22
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Did he have any training or degrees?
He actually, got the job in highschool through work experience lol then they kept him there
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #23
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
Just got a "free trial" at Steve Nash Sporfs Club. They charge $75+ an hour. That's pretty insane considering they have university/college kids running that place.
Posted via RS Mobile
i remember when i had a free pass at steve nash, i saw one of their trainers standing there drinking bbt while texting on his phone. this all while the guy he was training was working his ass off doing a tough looking circuit
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM   #24

^ I agree those personal trainers at gyms seem like phonies, I would much rather be a private personal trainer
Old 03-02-2012, 11:42 PM   #25
Treasure Chest MOD

Well id think that if everyone could believe that way, we wouldnt have the need for personal trainers. Although not the only reason, i know alot of people get personal trainers to really help motivate them to workout and to also help them save some time without having to do all the research on their own.
Posted via RS Mobile