REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Relationship & Gender Discussion (https://www.revscene.net/forums/relationship-gender-discussion_17/)
-   -   engagement ring - besides a diamond (https://www.revscene.net/forums/663935-engagement-ring-besides-diamond.html)

sas 03-01-2012 01:29 PM

engagement ring - besides a diamond

I've already purchased a diamond ring (for show) primarily but it would be nice if I could give a ring that I thought was cool. Problem is, I have absolutely no knowledge when it comes to jewellery.

Any ideas? Ladies- what would you want besides a diamond? A diamond is just so typical.

FerrariEnzo 03-01-2012 01:51 PM

the idea comes from the heart..

not every women has the same taste...

take her to the mall, walk past a jewelry store and pick a random ring and say hey this looks nice... LISTEN to what she says, she gona say its ok... should be more like this.. or i dont like it.. then be like :badpokerface: i like it or :rukidding: its freaking $$$$$... or :fuckthatshit: and pull out a ringpop and say this is all i can afford :okay:

and just remember what she likes.. go back later

Presto 03-01-2012 02:34 PM

Congrats on your engagement, OP! I'm a bit confused. Did you give her a diamond engagement ring, already? Are you looking something to supplement that, or replace it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 7815327)
Any ideas? Ladies- what would you want besides a diamond? A diamond is just so typical.

Diamonds may be typical, but there is a wide range of them. Society, and by extension, ladies, expect a diamond ring. The only thing they'd want besides a diamond, is more than one. :D

TheNewGirl 03-01-2012 02:42 PM

Actually I always really, really liked a ruby set against white gold personally. With a wedding band that sets a diamond on either side if it.

But honestly, unless you know her taste REALLY well ask her to marry you then take her to pick out the ring. OR take her best friend with you if you want to pick one out for her.

sas 03-01-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

take her to the mall, walk past a jewelry store and pick a random ring and say hey this looks nice... LISTEN to what she says, she gona say its ok... should be more like this.
I've tried this route - she's not too responsive (rather we save the $$) and doesn't want anything which ironically, is why I want to supplement her diamond ring.

Quote:

Congrats on your engagement, OP! I'm a bit confused. Did you give her a diamond engagement ring, already? Are you looking something to supplement that, or replace it?
Thanks! To clarify, this is to supplement. I already gave her a diamond ring but that was more protocol than anything. It doesn't mean anything to me and I guess that irks me given that I do want the ring to represent our relationship to some extent. A blingin $$ ring doesn't work for me. I'm really not in touch with Asian cultural beliefs and saving face.

BTW, I found my wedding band at YVR as I was flying out. $18 on sale! I think it's stainless steel too. My wedding gift from her is an eleiko barbell..

freakshow 03-01-2012 03:19 PM

I would try to think of other creative ways to get her input on other styles, and don't rush getting it, since you want the supplement to be truly meaningful.

Also, about your first post, I wouldn't necessarily get the ring that you think is 'cool'. You really have to get to know her taste.

I almost bought a delorean last year because I thought it was so cool. My wife (fiancee at the time) said "please don't pick me up in that.."

JHatta 03-01-2012 03:49 PM

two diamonds. :troll:

sas 03-01-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Also, about your first post, I wouldn't necessarily get the ring that you think is 'cool'.
Yes - I agree. I saw an awesome carbon fiber ring but had enough sense to hold off. Good advice on, 'not rushing', it.

sas 03-01-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

two diamonds.
Hey you laugh but I asked family and close friends and the majority recommended an, 'Upgrade', or a larger carat. In essence, more diamonds.

SB7 03-01-2012 04:23 PM

Onion rings, homer simpson style
Posted via RS Mobile

asian_XL 03-01-2012 08:32 PM

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090521/studyball.jpg

miss_crayon 03-02-2012 01:32 PM

How about a pearl ring? Classy, elegant and very girly.

Girl 03-02-2012 02:02 PM

Totally depends on her taste, whats something special to you and her? I dunno inscribe something on a simple band in Elvish or something *Girl's geeky LOTR side coming out*

MeetHanz 03-02-2012 02:34 PM

I always thought that this was pretty cool:
Welcome to the Wedding Ring Experience web site

The closest one is in seattle though. Maybe there's a local one?

Verdasco 03-02-2012 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss_crayon (Post 7816526)
How about a pearl ring? Classy, elegant and very girly.

and old. girls do not want to look old :heckno:

i say a more shiny jewellery/fancier one imo :fuckyea:

Ri2 03-03-2012 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Verdasco (Post 7817039)
and old. girls do not want to look old :heckno:

i say a more shiny jewellery/fancier one imo :fuckyea:

i've seen some beautiful pearl rings before. if it's set tastefully, it can be right for any age group :)

personally, i love sapphires or canary/fancy yellow diamonds. they're just beautiful! i've tried on a few rings before and nothing too bold looked right on me. something simple suits me a lot better.

dinamix 03-03-2012 02:42 PM

dont be a cheapass. get her a big diamond. theres no substiitutions

Girl 03-03-2012 03:41 PM

Ok IMHO you spent the dough on a friggin' diamond ring, now it's time you get her something that has sentimental meaning and value. Who cares if it's $30 or $300. Meaning behind a gift is priceless. And if that's what you're going for, then you just gotta dig deep and think of something that's truly awesome. I mean you can get her that ruby, pearl, sapphire ring on your first year anniversary or your 50th.

And if all else fails, get her a nice ring (bring a girl friend or metro guy friend) and get her a ring with her birthstone (the setting is the most important), engrave it and she'll be happy.

OR

get a literal rock set on a ring and give it to her ;) LOL

rien 03-03-2012 06:40 PM

This is cute.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_570xN.246286148.jpg
OUI Ring 14K Gold Filled with CZ by StreetBauble on Etsy

miss_crayon 03-04-2012 09:47 AM

^cute, I bought the same ring (silver and no fake stud) for $10 at Charlotte russe? In the states. You can probably turn this into a DIY project if you wanted!
Posted via RS Mobile

sas 03-05-2012 03:24 PM

Quote:

cute, I bought the same ring (silver and no fake stud) for $10 at Charlotte russe?
Was this recent?

miss_crayon 03-05-2012 10:29 PM

A year ago? They still might have it since they recycle cute little things at the store. And I wore it today and there IS a small stud
Posted via RS Mobile

impactX 03-12-2012 04:13 AM

hmm CF Ring... I would hate to have the ring not fit.

Wanton0 03-13-2012 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sas (Post 7815390)
I've tried this route - she's not too responsive (rather we save the $$) and doesn't want anything which ironically, is why I want to supplement her diamond ring.

Thanks! To clarify, this is to supplement. I already gave her a diamond ring but that was more protocol than anything. It doesn't mean anything to me and I guess that irks me given that I do want the ring to represent our relationship to some extent. A blingin $$ ring doesn't work for me. I'm really not in touch with Asian cultural beliefs and saving face.

BTW, I found my wedding band at YVR as I was flying out. $18 on sale! I think it's stainless steel too. My wedding gift from her is an eleiko barbell..

I'd follow her response and save the money. All you need is a wedding band which does not have to be bling.

Both of you can do so much more with the money saved like go on a nice honeymoon or living expenses.

murd0c 04-03-2012 05:43 PM

I've always been a big fan of Emeralds. If I ever found someone that I felt they were worthy enough to Marry I would get a Emeralds in a heard beat with a platinum band.