REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #1
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
High Cholesterol

Lets discuss high cholesterol. Perhaps you or your mother just came back from getting tests done and her cholesterol is thru the roof. What would you tell her to do?

What causes high cholesterol? What are some myths about cholesterol? What are ways to help lower high cholesterol and maintain a good balance. Most people know things like omega3, but what else.

skinnypupp im looking at you
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
physical activity is a must. A natural diet is also very important
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
high cholesterol is when you eat foods with alot of LDL in it, low density lipoproteins. HDL, or high density lipoproteins,are the good lipoproteins. So do your research and get your mom to eat foods that are rich in these nutrients.

And I can't stress this enough. Physical activity is a MUST, it stimulates 'reverse cholesterol transport' which transports alot of the bad fats that clog up in your vasculature into the liver where they belong. Even if she can't do vigorous level exercise, make sure she is able to do some walking at least. Walking out in the fresh air when done in the right amounts, can do alot of good for the body, and I can guarantee you that. 150 minutes per week in bouts of 10 minutes or more is ideal. Often times, people will underestimate the benefits that exercise can bring into their lives. People gotta start to realize that exercise is a long-term cure to a long list of diseases out there and inactivity is the actual cause of disease.

Alot of the diseases out there are genetically predetermined. But with the right amount of exercise and diet, many of these genes won't be turned on until much later on in life if at all, and consequences will be much less severe.

Back when I was a kid, I had asthma and exercise was what helped me overcome this at a very young age. Because of exercise, I never had the need to use a puffer, and eventually, I would no longer have asthma.

Of course, stay away from high cholesterol foods such as seafood, etc.

A link to a list of foods that I'd personally recommend:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cholesterol/CL00002

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 03-01-2012 at 06:12 PM.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
high cholesterol is when you eat foods with alot of LDL in it, low density lipoproteins. HDL, or high density lipoproteins,are the good lipoproteins. So do your research and get your mom to eat foods that are rich in these nutrients.

And I can't stress this enough. Physical activity is a MUST, it stimulates 'reverse cholesterol transport' which transports alot of the bad fats that clog up in your vasculature into the liver where they belong. Even if she can't do vigorous level exercise, make sure she is able to do some walking at least. Walking out in the fresh air when done in the right amounts, can do alot of good for the body, and I can guarantee you that. 150 minutes per week in bouts of 10 minutes or more is ideal. Often times, people will underestimate the benefits that exercise can bring into their lives. People gotta start to realize that exercise is a long-term cure to a long list of diseases out there and inactivity is the actual cause of disease.

Alot of the diseases out there are genetically predetermined. But with the right amount of exercise and diet, many of these genes won't be turned on until much later on in life if at all, and consequences will be much less severe.

Back when I was a kid, I had asthma and exercise was what helped me overcome this at a very young age. Because of exercise, I never had the need to use a puffer, and eventually, I would no longer have asthma.

A link to a list of foods that I'd personally recommend:
Cholesterol: Top five foods to lower your numbers - MayoClinic.com
Jesus fucking christ. Do not listen to this poster.

First off, total cholestrol doesn't matter. What matters is your LDL levels, specifically, your HDL:LDL ratio. This is further compounded by the fact that there's harmless LDL and oxidized LDL which is associated with atherosclerosis.

For most people, what they eat will not affect their cholestrol levels.
The Cholesterol Myths - Section 3

If they are however obese, have Type-II diabetes and are hyperresponders, then perhaps a diet could affect things. Speaking of eggs (since everyone likes to harp on them for so bad for your cholestrol, they actually decrease your risk of atherosclerosis or are at worst, neutral:

Revisiting dietary cholesterol recommen... [Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
The impact of egg limitations on coronary hea... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
Biochemical effects of consumption of eggs con... [Ups J Med Sci. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of eggs on plasma lipoproteins in healthy... [Food Funct. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Eggs distinctly modulate plasma carotenoid an... [J Nutr Biochem. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Egg consumption as part of an energy-restricted hi... [Br J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
High intake of cholesterol results in less athero... [Metabolism. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI
Biochemical effects of consumption of eggs con... [Ups J Med Sci. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary cholesterol from eggs increases plasma HDL ch... [J Nutr. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Egg yolk improves lipid profile, lipid peroxi... [J Nutr Biochem. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary cholesterol provided ... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
Daily egg consumption in hyperlipidemic adults--effec... [Nutr J. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

tl;dr: Cut the refined carbs. Eat less. Lose weight. Exercise.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #5
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
No need to respond I see
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

haha, ofcourse skinny, ofcourse
Phozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM   #7

I'll just put this in an oversimplified way. Bottom line is, cholesterol level is not relevant in relation to heart disease. Ratio of smaller cholesterol to larger is what matters. And what causes the bad larger cholesterol to appear is not by eating foods with cholesterol in it, it is your body's reaction to sugar and insulin.

So the best way to improve your cholesterol (not decrease it) is t eat food that is high in good cholesterol. Just about any solid animal fat is good, as are eggs of all types, including internal gonads (uni for instance)

I can imagine that if you were to eat a human with bad LDL levels, it would be bad fr you. But I think just about every animal you can eat would have good stuff.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:13 PM   #8
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFonz View Post
Jesus fucking christ. Do not listen to this poster.

First off, total cholestrol doesn't matter. What matters is your LDL levels, specifically, your HDL:LDL ratio. This is further compounded by the fact that there's harmless LDL and oxidized LDL which is associated with atherosclerosis.

For most people, what they eat will not affect their cholestrol levels.
The Cholesterol Myths - Section 3

If they are however obese, have Type-II diabetes and are hyperresponders, then perhaps a diet could affect things. Speaking of eggs (since everyone likes to harp on them for so bad for your cholestrol, they actually decrease your risk of atherosclerosis or are at worst, neutral:

Revisiting dietary cholesterol recommen... [Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
The impact of egg limitations on coronary hea... [J Am Coll Nutr. 2000] - PubMed - NCBI
Effects of eggs on plasma lipoproteins in healthy... [Food Funct. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Eggs distinctly modulate plasma carotenoid an... [J Nutr Biochem. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Egg consumption as part of an energy-restricted hi... [Br J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI
High intake of cholesterol results in less athero... [Metabolism. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary cholesterol from eggs increases plasma HDL ch... [J Nutr. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Egg yolk improves lipid profile, lipid peroxi... [J Nutr Biochem. 2008] - PubMed - NCBI
Dietary cholesterol provided ... [Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care. 2006] - PubMed - NCBI
Daily egg consumption in hyperlipidemic adults--effec... [Nutr J. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI

tl;dr: Cut the refined carbs. Eat less. Lose weight. Exercise.
Thanks for the fail and for restating what I just fucking said. Next time, learn to read.

Go ahead and believe this dude. "What they eat will not affect their cholesterol levels".
And I never said total cholesterol levels mattered. Clearly, I mentioned LDL was the problem and foods with high LDL should be avoided. What you eat may not affect your cholesterol levels, but what you eat will affect your overall health which will eventually affect your cholesterol levels. Both my grandmas, Aunt, and close friend of mine weren't overly obese. Yet they controlled their diet, exercised and that was what significantly reduced their cholesterol levels. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. That is all.

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.

Last edited by instantneedles; 03-01-2012 at 07:31 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #9

You deserve the fails for saying "avoid high cholesterol food" which is wrong, and "such as seafood" which is even more wrong (seafood meat has almost no cholesterol usually) and another one for posting that outdated info link.
Old 03-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #10
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
You deserve the fails for saying "avoid high cholesterol food" which is wrong, and "such as seafood" which is even more wrong (seafood meat has almost no cholesterol usually) and another one for posting that outdated info link.
My apologies for not specifying the particular types of seafood, and for the type of cholesterol, but you can start failing DaFonz now for posting outdated links as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantneedles View Post
Thanks for the fail and for restating what I just fucking said. Next time, learn to read.

Go ahead and believe this dude. "What they eat will not affect their cholesterol levels".
And I never said total cholesterol levels mattered. Clearly, I mentioned LDL was the problem and foods with high LDL should be avoided. What you eat may not affect your cholesterol levels, but what you eat will affect your overall health which will eventually affect your cholesterol levels. Both my grandmas, Aunt, and close friend of mine weren't overly obese. Yet they controlled their diet, exercised and that was what significantly reduced their cholesterol levels. It doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. That is all.
I can read fine. You wrote:

Quote:
Dietary cholestrol has nothing to do with serum cholestrol which if you'd read my "outdated" links you would have seen.

Edit: Normal LDL is fine. It's oxidized LDL (that's caused by things like refined carbs) that cause issues. So your above point about not eating high cholestrol foods is stupid.

Your grandmas, aunt and close friend watched their diets and I'm willing to bet that they cut back on refined carbs and sugars.

Last edited by DaFonz; 03-01-2012 at 08:10 PM.
DaFonz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #12

Thanked 2,908 Times in 755 Posts
Thread Resurrection!

how many of you are on 'lipitor' to decrease the bad cholesterol?

i'm pretty sure I have to go on it this week after tonight's visit to my doctor.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acura604 View Post
Thread Resurrection!

how many of you are on 'lipitor' to decrease the bad cholesterol?

i'm pretty sure I have to go on it this week after tonight's visit to my doctor.
You better REALLY do research first. Because I'm not saying that it is, but a lot of people say that it basically irreversibly affects the rest of your life in a bad way.

If i were you, I would do everything in my power to not go on that drug. I would Eat nothing but good cholesterol foods to improve my profile... The fattiest grass fed, hunted, fished meat I can find and a stick of grass fed butter every day.

Do some research

How old are you? I thought MG1 was the only geezer here, and he's not even in the Liptor target range yet afaik
Old 08-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,818 Times in 2,505 Posts
my GP's been monitoring me for cholesterol for a while. he said sometimes, as in my case, it's genetics, but suggested i add high fiber items to my diet.

we're also working to hold off on any medication as long as i can. he suggested i stay away from 'bad cholsterol' as much as i can, which i pretty much already did. but i've been trying to eat oatmeal and granola for breakfast on weekends to help. hope you're GP comes up with a gameplan/suggestions to help fend off use of pills.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #15
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

There's really simple things that can be done. Timeless, really.

-fiber fiber fiber. Very important.
-diet, diet, diet. EXTREMELY important
-Move, move, move. Just as important as the last 2

Things like certain vegetables, fruits, and other products help a lot. (oatmeal, onions, garlic, salmon, any fruits really, etc etc.)

Try cooking with less oil. And when possible, with Olive oil.

Walk, jog. Work up a bit of a sweat. Any bit helps.

Sleep well. Sleep early. Stay away from smoking/alcohol.

I think just by doing those basic things, it can help a lot already. The rest of it, talk to your doctor.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallPeenHammer2 View Post
There's really simple things that can be done. Timeless, really.

-fiber fiber fiber. Very important.
-diet, diet, diet. EXTREMELY important
-Move, move, move. Just as important as the last 2

Things like certain vegetables, fruits, and other products help a lot. (oatmeal, onions, garlic, salmon, any fruits really, etc etc.)

Try cooking with less oil. And when possible, with Olive oil.

Walk, jog. Work up a bit of a sweat. Any bit helps.

Sleep well. Sleep early. Stay away from smoking/alcohol.

I think just by doing those basic things, it can help a lot already. The rest of it, talk to your doctor.
To add to what is overall good advice:

Stop eating out for the most part. Almost all restaurants use shitty vegetable oil to cook with - even the "healthy" ones

Stop using shitty vegetable oil when you cook. ELIMINATE canola, soy, safflower, etc. Instead use lard (make sure it's not hydrogenated) and coconut oil for cooking, olive, avocado, for when you aren't using much (or any) heat/

EAT LOTS OF FAT. But good fat. Like I said - grass fed beef, hunted game, free range chicken, fresh caught fish. This sounds expensive, but remember, you stopped eating at restaurants!

Stop eating wheat completely. No bread, no pasta. Rice, potatoes, etc is OK, but lower intake overall.

The end result will probably be higher OVERALL cholesterol, but your level of GOOD cholesterol will be through the roof. This is what matters. Liptor knocks everything out, including the good stuff which you NEED.

If your doctor suggests liptor even once, I would find a new doctor. That doesnt mean you don't need to improve your blood profile, just that it shouldn't be done with drugs. If your doctor is suggesting that you should eat less meat and more oatmeal, he is basically leading you down a path that inevitable leads to liptor use.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 1,265 Times in 618 Posts
Personally, with all the debating out there, I am a strong believer that watching / completely cutting out refined carbs and sugars is more important than watching your fat intake. The only "bad" fats are trans fats. There was a good youtube video of how the myth "eat fat, get fat" was established.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
Personally, with all the debating out there, I am a strong believer that watching / completely cutting out refined carbs and sugars is more important than watching your fat intake. The only "bad" fats are trans fats. There was a good youtube video of how the myth "eat fat, get fat" was established.
Exactly. And when I hear someone say "my doctor told me to avoid bad fats" I have a feeling that the doctor is giving him the opposite advice. "bad fats" = vegetable oils, trans fats. What people think are "bad fats" are high (good) cholesterol fats = meat

So by avoiding these "bad" fats, they are avoiding good cholesterol. And they will still be hungry, so what do they replace that caloric intake with? Usually more carbs. Or vegetables... all of which are cooked in what? shitty vegetable oil. Unless you're steaming everything.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #19
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
coconut oil for life
I go threw so much of that stuff a month it's crazy
Posted via RS Mobile
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote