REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 08-21-2012, 07:48 AM   #501
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Thanked 1,619 Times in 378 Posts
the problem with riding everyday,

you forget what they taught you quick.

I've developped extremely bad habits already.

you just get so used to it and comftorable, your not so paranoid
Advertisement
Glove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:13 AM   #502
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
practice the good habits a few days before so they are implanted in your mind

review that PDF that PRS sent you and make sure you know them with out thinking
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:55 PM   #503
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
i had mine 1:45, the guy didnt really let me ask many questions lol i think he knows the "art of stalling"
haha! Mine was a Chinese guy. He didn't introduce himself so I don't know his name.

I PASSED!!! with three demerits though
Oh well, I still passed!
alicelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #504
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Congrats!
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #505
Rider

nice

i had a young white guy who rides a 750
Old 08-31-2012, 04:05 PM   #506
Rider

My road test is late next month and I have a Ninja 250R currently, but PRS is recommending I use their bikes (e.g., Sherpa) as it is easier to ride and do slow maneuvers and turns, which I do agree.

My dilemma is that now I have my own bike, I should be more comfortable on it in comparison to the Sherpa which I only rode once during my lessons. But I do recall the Sherpa being quite easy to ride, even considering my height (5'5") in which I had to tippy-toe on it. I almost flat foot the Ninja but definitely lower than the Sherpa.

What are your thoughts?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:59 PM   #507
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

ride what you feel more comfortable on, the sherpa and your ninja are both 250cc
Old 08-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #508
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

My vote goes to your Ninja.

I rode my ZX6 all year then did my road test on my friend's 250 Ninja. After a whole year on my 600, riding his Ninja felt like riding a Sherpa. Spent an hour on it then took the road test and aced it.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:36 PM   #509

Passed my class 6 today!

that shit was EASY,

I thought I made so many mistakes, like I was second guessing myself the whole time and I even hit the horn when I tried to turn my signal off, and I panicked and stopped at a yield sign when a car was comin the other way.

The guy passed me anyway and said I rode very well, only gave me 2 demerits for accelerating to slowly.

Why was everyone scaring the shit outa me the whole time??

but I can ride at night now!!!

im goin to ride far tonight, just for the hell of it
Old 09-05-2012, 04:42 PM   #510
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glove View Post
Passed my class 6 today!

that shit was EASY,
Congratulations. Just always remember, it's the other guys driving on the road that you have to watch out for.
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #511
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^
grats! I passed yesterday and felt exactly the way you did during my test. Oddly enough, I also had two demerits for going too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by peazs View Post
My road test is late next month and I have a Ninja 250R currently, but PRS is recommending I use their bikes (e.g., Sherpa) as it is easier to ride and do slow maneuvers and turns, which I do agree.

My dilemma is that now I have my own bike, I should be more comfortable on it in comparison to the Sherpa which I only rode once during my lessons. But I do recall the Sherpa being quite easy to ride, even considering my height (5'5") in which I had to tippy-toe on it. I almost flat foot the Ninja but definitely lower than the Sherpa.

What are your thoughts?
Go with what you're comfortable with like others have said. Gotta be calm and relaxed when doing that test!
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #512
I bringith the lowerballerith

Just passed my knowledge test today and going for the Sep24 class...can't wait...

As for my future bike I always wanted something retro (cafe-racer like) so the Suzuki tu250 is perfect for me:

and possibly the Triumph Bonneville T100 in 5 years (currently its too rich for my blood lol)

Last edited by kanon23; 09-05-2012 at 06:34 PM.
kanon23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:21 PM   #513
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Noticed at prs they never really covered riding in the rain as a topic. Whatd you guys learn/know about riding in this kind of weather? Today was really my first time riding in the rain (It was a 40km commute lol).

Little things people have told me/common sense
-leave extra room between you and cars and scan far, far ahead
-avoid riding on painted markings
-avoid riding in the center of the lanes (oil gathers there)
-cautious when riding when rain first starts to fall (mix of oil/rain that hasn't been washed down yet
-ride as smooth as possible and minimize jerking during turning/gearing
Posted via RS Mobile
dn53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #514

Be a lot more conservative when you roll on the power exiting a turn. I've had my back-end slide out on a few occasions.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #515

Cautious or.. if you can just avoid the first hour after rainfall, more emphasis on rear brakes, and less lean angle. That's what I can remember off the top of my head from the slides/discussion. You can always go back and chat about it they're friendly people
Old 09-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #516
I am Hook'd on RS

Pretty much what Kayci mentioned in the post above. There may be more but I don't have my notes with me at the moment

And Congrats GLOVE I'm still bikeless. I need to find a freakin job.

Last edited by alicelc; 09-10-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #517

Thanks alice!,

my first day I got my clas 6, I rode at night for 3 hours, its awsome, it was fuckin cold though, but feels good not to be restricted.

I just bought the GF some gear, and we are practicing going together on the bike,

having a passenger is scary as shit, if they lean, they turn the bike, kinda fucked up, might not be as bad in a cruiser.

So when she starts panicking and getting figity around the corner, my wheel starts wiggling and jerkin and I gotta compensate, I kinda wish they covered that stuff in the course, were just practicing around my house and my neighboring blocks right now.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #518
I am Hook'd on RS

Be careful, Glove. When I was a passenger, I closed my eyes so I couldn't anticipate a turn etc. Not sure if it helped my grandma though...

Argh! It's nice today too! A perfect day to ride
Old 09-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #519
Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicelc View Post
Be careful, Glove. When I was a passenger, I closed my eyes so I couldn't anticipate a turn etc. Not sure if it helped my grandma though...

Argh! It's nice today too! A perfect day to ride
Helped your grandma? Sounded like your grandma was riding! lol
Old 09-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #520
Rider

Quick question for you all: When entering residential side streets, is it still 50km/h unless there's a sign?

In the PRS notes, it says when leaving a school zone area into a side street, proceed with 30km/h even if there's no sign, but if I am driving into a side street not knowing if there's a school nearby, what's the speed then?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #521
I am Hook'd on RS

@peazs - oh nono. My grandma was riding the scooter while I was sitting in the back; this was a long, long time ago.

Your question: In Surrey, residential streets are 50km/hr unless stated otherwise by a regulatory sign (black and white).

For your school zone question, I think the "proceed with 30km/h" when making a turn only applies when you're still in the school zone (haven't passed the second school zone sign). If you've already passed the second school zone sign, then you can accelerate to the posted speed.

Maybe give your instructor at PRS a shout; I sent Chris an email about right turns before my exam and he answered Very helpful. LOVE PRS staff

Last edited by alicelc; 09-10-2012 at 07:10 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #522
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangoo- View Post
Noticed at prs they never really covered riding in the rain as a topic. Whatd you guys learn/know about riding in this kind of weather? Today was really my first time riding in the rain (It was a 40km commute lol).

Little things people have told me/common sense
-leave extra room between you and cars and scan far, far ahead
-avoid riding on painted markings
-avoid riding in the center of the lanes (oil gathers there)
-cautious when riding when rain first starts to fall (mix of oil/rain that hasn't been washed down yet
-ride as smooth as possible and minimize jerking during turning/gearing
Posted via RS Mobile
dont brake hard with the front wheel turned
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #523

Quote:
Quick question for you all: When entering residential side streets, is it still 50km/h unless there's a sign?

In the PRS notes, it says when leaving a school zone area into a side street, proceed with 30km/h even if there's no sign, but if I am driving into a side street not knowing if there's a school nearby, what's the speed then?
The limit remains 50 as far as I know. 50 is quite fast to be going in a neighbourhood, though; the fastest I went on my road test in neighbourhoods was 40.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:58 AM   #524
Rider

Quote:

just ask the icbc person when the time for your test comes
Old 09-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #525

For the residential, just go at a safe/what you're comfortable with speed. Some streets will have a lot of driveways, some hidden. Some will be narrow with cars on both sides... you'll want enough time to react if something happens. Like BillyBishop said, you don't want to be blasting through neighbourhoods too fast. I went 40 on a few, 30 at one point, and 50 only when I had a clear view of everything.