REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 03-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Alright so here's how we'll do this.

If you're interested in doing this relatively soon (ie registering within the next two weeks), PM me and I will put you on the Committed list. Note: just to reiterate, to get the $75 off you don't necessarily have to go to the same class, you just need to register with us.

Each time we get enough people on the Committed list, I'll kick off registration, and the group sign-up will reset.

Otherwise, if you don't indicate that you're ready to go, I'll put you on the "interested" list, and you can PM me when you're ready.
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2012, 01:58 PM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by double0seven View Post
Anyone want to wait till july for me
I'll try! I might crack and register earlier. Done my exams on the 20th of April

edit: RabidRat, when you say register, does that allow me to register say sometime in May/June instead of within the next few weeks?
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #28
RabidMod

You mean can you register now for lessons in May/June? I think you can, but they'd require a deposit from you when we sign up, which is $468 according to the website. Balance is due on 1st day of class.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #29
Banned (ABWS)

Have fun guys! If they were able to train my wife to ride, they can train anybody!
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #30
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
do it do it doit!

i went to visit PRS today, and the classes are starting to pick up. Talked to Dat (one of the instructors) about random motorcycle stuff...

I definitely recommend PRS...I went there 3 years ago, and still, to this day the riding mentality that they teach you still remains.
i don't do the "clutttchhh annnnnd braaaaaaaaaaaake" any more though lol
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 AM   #31
Why'd you do that for?

i still do the tiger paws/claws LOOOL
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #32
RabidMod

kchong's now signed up as well, just need one more! =D
Old 03-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #33
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
You guys are going to have fun.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #34
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Who's going this Monday???
Posted via RS Mobile
-=SKYY=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #35
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Is anyone else signing up for this? Come on we just need one more!
Posted via RS Mobile
kchong is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #36
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I'm down depending on which month you guys wanted to go. I don't wanna be foreveralone at a class with people I don't know. If possible I wouldn't mind the night classes.
jaemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #37
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Intrested ( first i need to get my L)
Posted via RS Mobile
jisagunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #38
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaemc View Post
I'm down depending on which month you guys wanted to go. I don't wanna be foreveralone at a class with people I don't know. If possible I wouldn't mind the night classes.
kchong was thinking April / May, preferably April. April is probably best for me as well, May is going to be tricky.

Night classes work best for me too.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:53 PM   #39
RabidMod

God.. every time I scroll past CharlieH's Laguna Seca video, I die a little more inside waiting to take this course.. hahaha
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
Why'd you do that for?

haha...you still planning to keep the S when you get a bike?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #41
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk604 View Post
haha...you still planning to keep the S when you get a bike?
I haven't really decided, but I've been going back and forth on whether to sell the s2k for a more practical daily driver for years now. Maybe by next year if I'm good enough to upgrade to a 600cc bike, it'll be fun enough to replace the S. Maybe
Old 03-21-2012, 10:38 AM   #42
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
I haven't really decided, but I've been going back and forth on whether to sell the s2k for a more practical daily driver for years now. Maybe by next year if I'm good enough to upgrade to a 600cc bike, it'll be fun enough to replace the S. Maybe
You'll outgrow anything less than a 250cc by the time you finishing riding school. I would recommend an i-4 600cc off the bat.
Its REALLY tame below 7000rpm and completely torque-less. They are very forgiving bikes and have the power necessary up top when you need it.

Unless you're opting for a 500, it'll save you the trouble from upgrading a few months down the road when you get bored which I almost guarantee you, you will.

Just my 0.02,

what kind of bike were you planning on looking at?

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #43
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
good thing about a 250 is that it teaches you how to turn properly and make low speed maneuvers that a lot of people screw up with learning on a 600. had quite a few close calls on my gixxer when i started because i couldn't ride the damn thing properly at low speeds.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #44
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ +1

Learning for one week on PRS' 250s was enough for me to hop right onto a 600 and feel comfortable and in control. I can't imagine what it would've been like to learn on the 600 right off the bat.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #45
Why'd you do that for?

Quote:
i've been in your shoes...haha...your gonna regret selling it when its raining out/cold. Totally worth it when its sunny though.

I still feel the same way
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #46
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fT-z33wor View Post
You'll outgrow anything less than a 250cc by the time you finishing riding school. I would recommend an i-4 600cc off the bat.
Its REALLY tame below 7000rpm and completely torque-less. They are very forgiving bikes and have the power necessary up top when you need it.

Unless you're opting for a 500, it'll save you the trouble from upgrading a few months down the road when you get bored which I almost guarantee you, you will.

Just my 0.02,

what kind of bike were you planning on looking at?
I'll probably end up with a CBR125R and ride that around like a pussy .. I've been looking for Ninja 250's but it's crazy how much people seem to want for them. Looks like for the same money I could easily get an older 600, so it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I'd rather just get a GSXR and be done with it, but everybody keeps saying starting on a 600cc bike means 100% chance of death
edit: and then I come on Revscene and turns out half of you did it anyway LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #47
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
^

in the end 99% of it is really about how much you respect the power. you'll hear people saying how its this and that but none of it matters if you take it easy and don't ride beyond your skill level. one thing i will attest to is that the initial learning phase is quite a bit harder on a 600 mainly because of how the bike is set up. they have a very wide turning radius, an aggressive seating position and very sharp brakes. all of these factors come into play especially when you're going at low speeds and riding in the city.

when i started on my gsxr750 the hardest part was getting around in a parking lot. you're making maneuvers at 5-10km/h while dodging chinese ladies and balancing a 400 pound hunk of metal underneath you. needless to say i had a my share of embarrassing moments lol. however the training you'll receive at PRS should help a lot in getting the hang of low speed riding so i wouldn't worry too much about it. in the end you have to ask yourself how mature you can be on the bike because you need to toss all the ego out the window when riding these damn things.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #48
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,273 Times in 275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
^ +1

Learning for one week on PRS' 250s was enough for me to hop right onto a 600 and feel comfortable and in control. I can't imagine what it would've been like to learn on the 600 right off the bat.
He is taking riding school though, although think what CharlieH meant is continuing to hone up his slow speed maneuvers post riding school.

Quote:
I'll probably end up with a CBR125R and ride that around like a pussy .. I've been looking for Ninja 250's but it's crazy how much people seem to want for them. Looks like for the same money I could easily get an older 600, so it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

I'd rather just get a GSXR and be done with it, but everybody keeps saying starting on a 600cc bike means 100% chance of death
edit: and then I come on Revscene and turns out half of you did it anyway LOL
Who the hell told you that I started on a 750, as did charlie right after we finished our basic intro course (he took PRS, I went with ProRide). I mean mind you its not the more forgiving bike to start on, but the 100% death thing is laughable, over the top

It sounds like people filling your head with horror stories are thinking in the context of if were to not take riding school. Which is not in your case in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
^

in the end 99% of it is really about how much you respect the power. you'll hear people saying how its this and that but none of it matters if you take it easy and don't ride beyond your skill level. one thing i will attest to is that the initial learning phase is quite a bit harder on a 600 mainly because of how the bike is set up. they have a very wide turning radius, an aggressive seating position and very sharp brakes. all of these factors come into play especially when you're going at low speeds and riding in the city.

when i started on my gsxr750 the hardest part was getting around in a parking lot. you're making maneuvers at 5-10km/h while dodging chinese ladies and balancing a 400 pound hunk of metal underneath you. needless to say i had a my share of embarrassing moments lol. however the training you'll receive at PRS should help a lot in getting the hang of low speed riding so i wouldn't worry too much about it. in the end you have to ask yourself how mature you can be on the bike because you need to toss all the ego out the window when riding these damn things.
+1

2004 E46 M3
2001 WRX STi (sold)
2003 Supercharged 350z (sold)
1991 R32 GTR (sold)
2000 Civic SiR (sold)
1990 Civic Si-T (sold)
1986 MK1 Mr2 (sold)
2005 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2003 CBR 600RR (sold)
2007 Ducati 1098 track (sold)
2009 Kawasaki ZX6R (track build)
fT-z33wor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM   #49
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Just to echo what Charlie and the others have said, I'll throw in my 2 cents regarding the "cc" issue that comes up time and time again. I share the same sentiments as the others.

I started out with a 49cc scooter. Yeah, 49cc. I had no intention of ever getting into motorcycling - ever; thinking of all the dangers and the possibility of dying turned me away from it.

Fast forward 5 years later, my last scooter was a 150cc Vespa PX-150. 150cc of 2-stroke fury. But that didn't satisfy the need for speed. Not only was it a craving for speed but it was more so a safety issue. People in the GVRD are driving much more aggressively than ever. Cars are much more efficient and more people out there are in a rush to get to the next red light. 150cc was not sufficient to keep up with the flow of city traffic.

I finally ponied up to get a bike however, it was a small step up from my 150cc scooter. I picked up a 74 Yamaha RD200 (2-stroke) for a grand and change, rode around for a quick season, maybe 2 months and said, fuck this. I got the 500cc Yamaha SR500 I now have today (single cylinder thumper) and is more than sufficient for city rides and the odd ride here and there on the highway.

Going on the highway, I sometimes wished that I got a 600cc modern sport bike. When you take your course at PRS, they really drill it in to your head that safety and judgement always comes first. Having said that, you will naturally respect your bike and learn very quickly that the environment around you is always a danger.

The motor displacement is not the issue at hand and like the others have said, it is a big misunderstanding, especially with newbies like yourself. This is normal. I've been there and I learned the hard way. Do I regret not buying a 600cc sport bike to start? No. But do I sometimes wish that I did? Yes.

Bottom line - you will learn how to respect your bike and its potential. Worrying about the displacement factor should be the least of your worries now. The people who are telling you 600cc bikes are a death trap either don't know how to ride or have never taken lessons before. I won't speak for the other guys here on the forum but if and when I go on group rides, I will only ride with people who I know have taken lessons from a reputable school (i.e. PRS / Action etc.) I've been on rides with people who have never taken lessons and I learned quickly to never ride with these people ever again. I don't care what size their bikes are - they straight up suck. These are the people you should avoid and not listen to.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-21-2012 at 02:26 PM.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #50
Banned By Establishment

u can put me on the (interested list). might purchase a bike over the weekend.
z-33 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: