REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #201
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
this is why you always look where you want to go. lack of skills and brains means shit like this will happen. the guy literally went straight when the corner came because he got scared and just stared at the gravel/grass

Brand new Yamaha R6 crash - YouTube
LMAO I love how the bike flies right off the corner and and crashes at 1:45, and the guy holding the camera has zero reaction to it.

"...........buh-lah"

Advertisement
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM   #202
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenDuang View Post
Yours could have been set at a lower setting? I read gixxer forum I can get it a little lower and I'm short so it will help!

naw, the sag on my rear shock was set to factory specs. i'm 5'10 165lbs and i was able to flat foot on the gixxer, but not any of the other jap bikes.

heading out to seattle now. pacific raceways tomorrow morning hehehe

edit: fT-z33wor and i will try to make it back for the meet tomorrow. hope to see some of your bikes there!
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:55 AM   #203
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i'll be there but not on a bike

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #204
RabidMod

Just got my full Class 6 yesterday!! =D

Almost failed.. took three tries to do a U-turn hahaha. The street they picked was frickin narrow, I should've taken out a sherpa but got lazy and just took my 600.

Other than that, I thought it went well. Yeah it was raining, yeah it was Richmond, and yeah he kinda screwed me by taking me to a highway onramp marked Construction Zone - 20kph the whole way, and then suddenly 100kph traffic.. lol. It ended kinda early though and I never had to parallel park so I figured I'd failed. At the end he asked me to pick any spot in the ICBC parking lot and back in, and of course I picked the one spot that was on an incline - he looked like he had fun watching me struggle with that one .

I shut my bike off and started taking off my gloves but he motioned for me to keep them on. So by that point I was preeetty sure I'd failed. He put down the clipboard upside down, breathed deep, and sighed like he was all disappointed, and started talking about how I really needed to continue practicing low speed maneuvers, especially U-turns. Gave me this speech on how he'd been riding for 25 years and how it was really important to be able to control your bike at low speeds etc.

And then, flips the clipboard over - "Congratulations you passed."

... fucking troll
Old 04-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #205
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Grats! Examiner sounds hillarious...except for the 20kph highway section.

Just finished the ride around Surrey today. Feels like relearning the rules of the road again.
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM   #206
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Spoiler!
Congrats!

I've been putting mine off since last June... finally going to do it next week, also in Richmond haha. Do you remember the route?
I'd do the Sherpa, but I don't know Surrey as well as I know Richmond..
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #207
Banned By Establishment

If you do the test in Surrey at the one by PRS, just remember everytime they tell you to turn, expect a school zone or playground zone.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #208
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Actually.. am I crazy or do all japanese supersports seem like they're about the same size regardless of displacement?

I sat on an GSXR 1000 then a GSXR 600 at Holeshot the other day and they felt about the same. Their CBR1000RR looked about the same as their CBR600RR as well. I also sat on an R6 then an R1 at Daytona last week couldn't tell too much of a difference.
The GSXR's sit the lowest compared to the other companies
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM   #209
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Just got my full Class 6 yesterday!! =D

Almost failed.. took three tries to do a U-turn hahaha. The street they picked was frickin narrow, I should've taken out a sherpa but got lazy and just took my 600.

Other than that, I thought it went well. Yeah it was raining, yeah it was Richmond, and yeah he kinda screwed me by taking me to a highway onramp marked Construction Zone - 20kph the whole way, and then suddenly 100kph traffic.. lol. It ended kinda early though and I never had to parallel park so I figured I'd failed. At the end he asked me to pick any spot in the ICBC parking lot and back in, and of course I picked the one spot that was on an incline - he looked like he had fun watching me struggle with that one .

I shut my bike off and started taking off my gloves but he motioned for me to keep them on. So by that point I was preeetty sure I'd failed. He put down the clipboard upside down, breathed deep, and sighed like he was all disappointed, and started talking about how I really needed to continue practicing low speed maneuvers, especially U-turns. Gave me this speech on how he'd been riding for 25 years and how it was really important to be able to control your bike at low speeds etc.

And then, flips the clipboard over - "Congratulations you passed."

... fucking troll
Congrats...it took me 3 tries to finally pass the road test. First time, I had a brain cramp and either forgot to do shoulder checks or didn't turn my head far enough. Second time, the examiner said I took too long to get up to speed and basically didn't look confident on the bike. So I went riding every chance I could for the summer and finally passed on my third try. Practice in this case does make perfect.

I was worried about u-turns too lol...especially with a 600cc sportbike. I practiced them religiously before my last road test.
zelloss is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-28-2012, 02:42 PM   #210
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
i miss my 400 standard, u turns were a breeze.... wondering how the 400 sport is going to be ...

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #211
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
Congrats!

I've been putting mine off since last June... finally going to do it next week, also in Richmond haha. Do you remember the route?
I'd do the Sherpa, but I don't know Surrey as well as I know Richmond..
Yeah I wind up in Richmond almost on a daily basis so it made a lot more sense for me haha.

He took me down Cambie, making our way towards Jacombs. Looped around in a series of left and right turns at the intersections, and ducking into a couple of business parks and residential areas on the way, some of them kinda narrow with cars parked on both sides to the point that I definitely couldn't maintain 50, but he didn't seem to care.

When we got to Jacombs we just went down toward IKEA and made a left where AJR used to be, then a right to Bridgeport. Made a right again to the onramp to Knight Bridge, then over to the right, merging onto Hwy 91 down to Alderbridge. Made a left onto Garden City, then a right onto Lansdowne, and this is where I figured I'd failed - there's a crosswalk right next to Kwantlen and some crazy fucker darted onto it, so I ended up coming to a stop in the middle of the intersection =/. Anyway kept going down Lansdowne and made a left into a back alley to get back to the ICBC licensing center.

That said, they prolly have tons of different routes so this might not have helped at all. Some things to keep in mind though:
-the examiner mentioned before we started that he was checking to see that when you made your right turns, do not go straight from Lane Position 3 to Lane Position 1 at the end of your turn. Instead, go from 3 to 3, shoulder check, then go back to 1. "Otherwise, you'll get smoked by wide left-turners". makes sense.
-careful with left turns not to cut too close to the inside. I came close to cutting the solid yellow line one time and even though I never touched it, he dinged me anyway.
-after turning, bring your bike back up to 50 promptly. I got marked down for "speed maintenance" at least once on my sheet because of that (they warn you of this like a million times at PRS too haha).
-remember to cancel your signals. the examiner seemed genuinely surprised that I never left mine on, made a point of saying I was "good at that" lolol
Old 04-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #212
Rider

Bought all my gear last year, starting class on the 3rd of May.

Arai Vector Schwantz
Icon Overlord jacket
Spyke Two piece leather (handy down)
Alpinestars GP Plus Gloves
Alpinestars SMX5 Boots

Very excited! woot!
Old 04-29-2012, 04:52 PM   #213
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
That said, they prolly have tons of different routes so this might not have helped at all. Some things to keep in mind though:
-the examiner mentioned before we started that he was checking to see that when you made your right turns, do not go straight from Lane Position 3 to Lane Position 1 at the end of your turn. Instead, go from 3 to 3, shoulder check, then go back to 1. "Otherwise, you'll get smoked by wide left-turners". makes sense.
i always go from 3 to 1 on right turns
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #214

Quote:
Spoiler!
Thanks, I hit up all the locations you mentioned just a few hours ago.
The 30km/h construction zone straight to 80km/h on the highway surprised me haha I've actually never taken that on-ramp before. Didn't know that the construction speed was in effect there.

One question that come to mind while riding was, if we're asked to pull over, we don't have to park it at 45 degrees, right? Just need to pull off to the side of the road with signal?

I'm going to go ride alongside a friend in a car to see how accurate my speedometer is before I go for the road test; my bike is 18 years old haha.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #215
RabidMod

No problem! Hopefully you get something similar then.

They might've removed it by now, but when I was at that onramp next to IKEA, there was actually a white "20kph" sign.

Hmm. Regarding whether you need to do the 45 degree parking, I guess the final say will be the ICBC manual (which I have still never opened haha). But the PRS study notes clearly say to do it so I guess we might as well.

Yeah getting someone to drive behind you so you can confirm the speedo is probably a good idea.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #216
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

isnt anyone else up to sign for the round 2? It looks like we need 1 more to get a 50$ discount....get it quick before summer starts!
DemonsBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #217
RabidMod

Ah I hate to say this but nickgailloux couldn't wait and signed up on his own, so we're down to 1/3 again for the group sign-up.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #218

Lol I like how this thread jumps through so many topics, then back to the group sign-up haha.

In keeping with that trend... I'm going to hit the s2s for the first time, leaving Richmond in less than 30min if anyone wants to join. I don't care if there's traffic or anything, just want to acquaint myself with the highway
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #219
RabidMod

If you do this again next week I can come
RabidRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #220

re: not caring about traffic... scratch that, I was stuck downtown trying to get to the Lions Gate for a good 30min. I definitely want to avoid that next time.
When I was coming back, I was going ~100km/h behind another car going around a curve when a cop came around the opposite direction and turned his lights on the instant he passed me - scared the crap out of me so I slowed down right away to the 80 limit. I thought he would make a U-turn but I never saw him again. (The curve had one of those yellow 50km/h signs, but those aren't regulatory.)

CharlieH, I saw you heading south on Oak while I was heading north just before 57th! Not sure if you saw me, I was in all black except for my rainbow chrome visor and blue backpack.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #221

oOoOoo yeah i saw you at the last moment, didn't have a chance to throw the V haha. i was heading to delta for the firearms safety course
Old 05-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #222

So it turns out my LDL expired on May 1st, not June 1st like I thought it did.

Knowledge test and MST round two coming up. Damn.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:47 PM   #223
I don't get it

so 17 year old here planning on buying my friends barely used 250 ninja . is prs worth the money and where is it located ? hopefully it's near public transit ..
PUPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPPY View Post
so 17 year old here planning on buying my friends barely used 250 ninja . is prs worth the money and where is it located ? hopefully it's near public transit ..
yeah theres a bus that stops like a block from PRS. take the course and don't let your ego get you killed.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #225
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundless View Post
So it turns out my LDL expired on May 1st, not June 1st like I thought it did.

Knowledge test and MST round two coming up. Damn.
That sucks dude.

At least you'll kill at the MST haha.