REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #1
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
Confessions of a Frugal Shopper

Well, sort of............

This thread is for people who are looking for ways to save money. Not everyone is a Hyde or renn.sport and have money coming out of their ying/yang. It's more for struggling students, single parents, cheap Asians, Scotts, you name it. Not a freebies thread, because there's an awesome one for that.

This will be for the announcement of deals and sharing hidden secrets for saving money. Saving money on everyday shit.

I'll start off with something I took advantage of today.

Superstore is having a TV Sale. May not be screaming deals, but deals nonetheless. Starting yesterday and going on for three days, when you buy a television, you get 20 times the PC points. I bought a cheap 32 inch Samsung that was already reduced by 100 bucks and got 20 bucks or so in PC points. On top of that, because it totaled more than $250.00, I got a 25 dollar gift card, which is this week's bonus. The TV is for the kitchen, so a 720p 32 inch was perfect. I have two 52 inch TV's elsewhere in the house for watching the Canucks win the Stanley Cup this year

Then off I went to Canadian Tire to use my $5.00 off coupon that was in their flyer. It's a scratch and save card with a minimum of $5.00 for free. I talked to the gal at the Coquitlam branch and she already had two customers who won $100.00 each!!

The Grandview Hwy location had three such winners according to just one cashier. The place was buzzing. I should have posted this earlier, but there's about three hours left for this one day promo.
Advertisement
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
and if you know good deals on food post here http://www.revscene.net/forums/662675-food-sales.html

Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
MG1

Samples of other deals recently......

Safeway had a coupon for $1.50 0ff 4L milk of any kind. It ended yesterday, but deals like this come every so often.

Superstore had Uncle Bens Entrée Instant Rice packages on sale for $2.00 each (reg 2.79). It was a price match. On top of that, they had 75¢ off coupons, making each one only $1.25 each. This is the stuff that takes 2 minutes in the microwave. Not the lower priced ones where you have to actually cook it. My favourite flabours are the Risotto ones and Curry Chicken. There was a limit of 3 packages, but the coupons didn't. So, I went to a few different cashiers to make it worth my time. The packages had an expiry date of 12/12. Sadly, the price match ended on Friday. Coupons are still good for another week, though. So while the price match was on, the stuff sold for less than half the price.

If you're looking for pop (Coke products). No Frills has them for $1.00 each. If you don't live near a No Frills, use ther flyers and get price match at Superstore.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha v2 View Post
and if you know good deals on food post here http://www.revscene.net/forums/662675-food-sales.html

Damn, I'm sorry, man............ I don't go into any other part of RS. Well, except for *ahem* car audio thread.

........as for meat, No Frills has tenderloin pork for less than 3 bucks a pound (less than half the regular price).
Old 03-03-2012, 05:35 PM   #5
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
for awhile (about a year) i barely paid anything for my old spice body wash/deodorant + random things like toothpaste and floss..

at london drugs yoy can coupon stack as long as the coupon is for the same product and has a different barcode..

so for example if you had a coupon for $3 off if you buy 2 bodywashes.. and you have a coupon that says $1 off one bodywash.. you can use one of the $3 coupons and 2 of the $1 coupons

and sometimes online sources of coupons will give you the exact same coupon as the printed flyer source.. (but different barcode!) so that's 6 coupons for 2 items.. you still have to pay tax, and some coupons state you cannot stack.. so read the rules to avoid embarrassment

happy couponing

i stopped though.. cuz its a pain in the pass to collect them
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
MG1

^we do what we can to make ends meet........ a dollar saved is a dollar earned.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
a tip: don't join bargain-hunting communities like redflagdeals

you spend money on useless shit you don't need...and try to justify the purchase with silly rationales
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

you spend money on useless shit you don't need...and try to justify the purchase with silly rationales
agree........ I don't even read their stuff anymore. Kind of like a feeding frenzy, hype type of site.

I get more useful info right here on RS.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post

Hot deals!!!

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
This title intentionally left blank MOD

RFD is useful if you have self control. I usually have a few things I'm on the lookout for, so when I see them come up on RFD, it can be advantageous.

The people who hoard or buy something just to save money... those are the worthy ones.

Thanks for starting the thread, MG1!

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #11
MG1

Yeah, there's a fine line between hoarding and saving. You need lots of freezer space and keep an eye on rotating stock and keeping track of when things go on sale. With no Frills, I'm starting to get a feel of when and how often shit goes on sale. For example, I love Pom Wonderful Pomegranate Juice. I drink the stuff regularly, but not much. It has a limited shelf life once opened. Ths is why the small bottles suit me. The large 1.7 litre bottle they sell at Costco will spoil, as you have to drink the stuff within 14 days of opening. The small bottles were on sale last week at No Frills for 2 bucks each. Cheaper than Costco. The bottles have best before date of June 10th.

With No Frills and Superstore, their websites give a preview of next week's sale at midnight Wednesday. That gives you Thursday to shop for sale items that will end that day, as new prices start on Friday. Buy the stuff at last possible moment to get it as fresh as possible.

Most of the time, No Frills have two week sales, so knowing the change in prices makes good sense.

Canned goods. You need to know shelf life of items. Like canned salmon, for example. It is edible for a long ass time, but taste and quality deteriorates after a certain number of years. I bought a few cases of Sockeye Salmon for an incredible price (just over $1.40 for 1/2 lb can). I'm a little worried right now, because the kids used to like the stuff, but not so much these days. I have about 16 months before it starts to lose flavour and texture. Must be more creative with salmon recipe's. LOL

Last edited by MG1; 03-03-2012 at 07:20 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,043 Times in 2,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Canned goods. You need to know shelf life of items. Like canned salmon, for example. It is edible for a long ass time, but taste and quality deteriorates after a certain number of years. I bought a few cases of Sockeye Salmon for an incredible price (just over $1.40 for 1/2 lb can). I'm a little worried right now, because the kids used to like the stuff, but not so much these days. I have about 16 months before it starts to lose flavour and texture. Must be more creative with salmon recipe's. LOL
Salmon Pouf. Salmon, peas, corn, green onion wrapped in phyllo then oven baked. Throw some Franks in a can of mushroom soup for sauce = magic. I use leftover salmon for this recipe normally as my freezer is usually stocked with salmon but I'm sure canned would be fine.

We should start a leftovers thread in Food and Fine Dining if there isnt one already...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?

Last edited by punkwax; 03-04-2012 at 06:46 AM.
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #13
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatar View Post
RFD is useful if you have self control. I usually have a few things I'm on the lookout for, so when I see them come up on RFD, it can be advantageous.
exactly. i was on the lookout for a small 32" for my sister and i saw them have a deal at best buy for a panasonic for $229. it was good timing.

now i'm on the lookout for a cheap 32" LED for myself in a similar price range :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
for awhile (about a year) i barely paid anything for my old spice body wash/deodorant + random things like toothpaste and floss..
where did you get the coupons from and do they still have them?

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Scratched a $50 for Canadian Tire on Sat, bf got a Sherwood hockey stick, we got a 32cm TFAL frying back for $19 (reg price $65), 24 double roll Charmin, and a bag of Miss Vickies minus $50 = $8.77 hella good deals, I think most people would've just scratched a $5 or $10
BaBiE_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #15
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

One of the biggest things you can do to save money is to limit your driving. Although I love driving, I take public transit most of the time and only drive for pleasure. This alone has saves me tones of money every year which I plow back into my investments-which makes me even more money.

Another thing is to think long term and not short term with your purchases. For example, most people think saving a few bucks up front is smart but in most instances, it's probably not the best move. I try to think of everything in terms of ROI (return on investment) and not just sticker price. For example, I am very happy to pay a few hundred bucks extra for a nice Gore-Tex Pro jacket that will protect me from the elements and keep me comfortable for 10+ years over a cheaper jacket that will offer less protection/comfort and will only last me 2-3 years. With this strategy, I also save untold amounts of time/money by not having to commute/shop so much.

Lastly, by far the best strategy to saving money is to not spend at all. As the author of "The Ultimate Cheapskate" says, always think of your return-on-non-invesmtent. Think of not just the money, but the amount of work you will have to do to earn the bucks to buy that jacket or whatever that you don't need anyway. Do you value the jacket/purse more, or your time more (which, as Emerson says, "is the stuff life is made of").

Last edited by LIKEABOSS; 03-04-2012 at 07:04 PM.
LIKEABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Save money = Craigslist for certain items like Canucks tickets, car parts, other toys that would otherwise be retail prices. Also, Ebates is another good place to save money for most online shopping.

Other than that, try to eat out less. It adds up a lot.
Posted via RS Mobile
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
I save by not going out.......
Also if you play computer games form time to time steam will offer like free weekends for certain games for you to try. I usually play those.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #18
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Maybe I'll get flamed, but:

Being a frugal cheapskate is great, but there has to be a balance between spending and saving money. If you stay at home on the weekend and do nothing but play video games to save money instead of possibly spending some to experience new things or connect with people, or most importantly, spending time and energy that could earn you new income, I think that's an issue.
Posted via RS Mobile
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,688 Posts
Agreed. Balance in life is also important besides saving money.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,259 Times in 439 Posts
In regards to RFD, I don't know if you guys know of their alert feature?
You pretty much just put in a key word and any time someone posts a deal with your key word you get an email.

RedFlagDeals Topic Alerts
(You have to be logged in for it to work)

This has saved me time looking through the forums.
I needed a cheap monochrome laser printer and I just put in "laser printer" and I would get alerts for them.

Ended up buying one for $30 because of the alert as I don't check RFD daily any more.
And this way, you won't get suckered into buying something you see as a good deal.
TheKingdom2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I get my gas in the states. I cross the border with 3 25l Jerry cans. It works out to a 7 dollar savings each and 20 dollar savings in my pathfinders gas tank. I save about 40 bucks a trip.
Posted via RS Mobile

I also buy groceries while I Blaine if it's cheaper.
saveth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #22
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx703 View Post
In regards to RFD, I don't know if you guys know of their alert feature?
You pretty much just put in a key word and any time someone posts a deal with your key word you get an email.

RedFlagDeals Topic Alerts
(You have to be logged in for it to work)

This has saved me time looking through the forums.
I needed a cheap monochrome laser printer and I just put in "laser printer" and I would get alerts for them.

Ended up buying one for $30 because of the alert as I don't check RFD daily any more.
And this way, you won't get suckered into buying something you see as a good deal.
excellent tip..didnt realize RFD has this function as another site i follow has it.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #23
Prince of the Apes

Thanked 3,046 Times in 672 Posts
openboxco is a great place to find some cheaper electronics. Usually returned stuff or showcase products that never sold. I got a 42" sony bravia for 300$ a couple years back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post

Being a frugal cheapskate is great, but there has to be a balance between spending and saving money. If you stay at home on the weekend and do nothing but play video games to save money instead of possibly spending some to experience new things or connect with people, or most importantly, spending time and energy that could earn you new income, I think that's an issue.
Posted via RS Mobile
Eh, i've been doing just that for the past 6 months because im forced to not because I choose to.
[23-08, 13:17] nabs i've gripped ice boy's shaft before
Quote:
[26-08, 13:50] Jesusjuice is this a sports car forum? why are there so many hondas?
bloodmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 8,510 Times in 799 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post

where did you get the coupons from and do they still have them?
Mailout Coupons - Extreme Couponing Canada

Printable Coupons - Extreme Couponing Canada

i mainly did the P&G mail-in coupons and flyer coupons but this site looks like they go ape shit for coupons.
Okami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 11:06 PM   #25
MG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post

Posted via RS Mobile
There are lots of things you can do for free.

Like......... Kits Beach i nthe summer.......... j/k

community centres, libraries, events at shopping malls, and.......... RS car meets, LOL. As long as they aren't troll meets.