REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,803 Times in 3,899 Posts
DD: 1.6EL vs Protege 8th Gen

yes..another help me choose a DD car thread.

I'm finishing up school and looking to buy a budget commuter car. I like Honda but don't want high insurance costs for two door integras/civics etc

I have narrowed it down to 1.6EL and 8th gen Protege. Preferably the 98-00 1.6EL and facelifted 01-03 protege.

my requirements:
- manual
- clean title
- accepts 89 octane...incredible gas mileage
- preferably <200 k mileage and no rust

Did a general search and found these:
2001 Mazda Protege Reliability - MSN Autos
Common EL Problems

not going to read 200+ page EL thread..and not sure if American Proteges have issues that apply to canadian models as they are different specs.

looking for past/current owners to chime in on common problems, reliability, etc. Don't know which canadian make/model-specific forum to look for and not sure if they would still be active for these older models.

Thanks!
Advertisement
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #2
I STILL don't get it

I've got an 03 mazdaspeed protege that I picked up a few months ago. Haven't had any issues with it so far. The only common problem I can think of right now is that in these proteges it's sometimes hard to put into reverse gear, so occasionally I'd have to pop to neutral and clutch in again before i can get it in. The car seats feel pretty comfortable imo, but cabin noise seems a bit loud.

Mazdas247.com is still quite active.
pawdregry4g is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,050 Times in 551 Posts
dont quote me, but I think alot of cars needs you to double clutch to go into the reverse gear, is to make sure you dont accidentally mis-shift when you are moving foward

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Don't bother looking for EL specific problems, the only differences between it and a 6th gen civic are cosmetic.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawdregry4g View Post
I've got an 03 mazdaspeed protege that I picked up a few months ago. Haven't had any issues with it so far. The only common problem I can think of right now is that in these proteges it's sometimes hard to put into reverse gear, so occasionally I'd have to pop to neutral and clutch in again before i can get it in. The car seats feel pretty comfortable imo, but cabin noise seems a bit loud.

Mazdas247.com is still quite active.
I see..had to double check that the mazdaspeed has the same tranny as its lower trims. I don't mind loud cabin noise...I'm not driving a luxury saloon. I'll look into that forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindBomber View Post
Don't bother looking for EL specific problems, the only differences between it and a 6th gen civic are cosmetic.
I guess i'm now looking for common 6th gen civic problems as well..i take it that the internals are interchangable = cheaper parts?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
I drive and own a 99' 1.6EL,

It has 236,000km on it and it drives just fine. 45L tank gets me around 375-400km and I drive with a slightly heavy foot. No major problems, other than it wouldn't start after 3 months of sitting (needed starter). Reliability is just like any Honda, really good. Parts are cheap, easy to find cause it's just a Civic underneath. The 1.6EL is a Civic EX, if you're looking at specific engine parts. But cosmetic parts might take a bit of research like a front lip to a new hood, but there are some out there !

For a daily driver, it's pretty good especially for around city driving. More power would be nice, as I find myself shifting from 5th to 4th @ 60kph just to keep up while going up a incline.

Seats are alright (I got cloth) and they do what they do decently. The worse thing about this, is the cup holders, they suck ass and I end up using the side pockets as holders. You can always swap it out for a Civic one which is much better.

As for year to year differences, the 97-98 vs 99-00 have different grills and mirrors (one piece vs ones which fold). Other then that, I don't think theres any other differences.
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
degenerate extraordinaire

we had our 2000 1.6EL for 6 years, bought it brand new, didn't really have many problems

from the top of my head: we replaced the coolant hose... and had to replace a few of the shitty stock michelin tires
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
I find the EL to be pretty cramped and pretty gutless, I would go for the protege 5 + you get the hatch for extra storage, and the protege has pretty good handling from the factory.

also insurance for the EL is surprisingly high for what it is, its 2k plus for pleasure use with 30% discount.
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

EL/ civic = cheaper parts but more expensive insurance
Protege = cheaper insurance but more expensive parts

As posted above a protege 5 is very nice...however I don't see a lot for sale.
M Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 PM   #10

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
http://www.revscene.net/forums/64579...out-there.html

I had a number of comments here about my 2003 Protege 5. Fantastic car with awesome reliability. Never had any work done on it the whole time I had it, two oil changes a year and that was it.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #11

I bought a '01 Protege ES for my brother last year. You get a lot of car for the money (ES/P5 model) but there are some niggling minor issues..

- Plugged EGR
- Idle surges (check for cracks in the snorkel leading up to throttle body)
- Not sure if it's applicable on the 1.6L and 1.8L, but the 2.0L is picky with drive belts and it's probably best to use OEM as you get belt noise at idle, running the compressor, etc
- Gas mileage borders on the mediocre side for a 4cyl (2.0L), but it could be my brother's driving
- Top of the door panels pop out from the doors from constant heat exposure (poor design)
- Check for suspension clunks (worn bushings, endlinks)
- I remember reading about ignitor issues but that escapes me at the moment

Even with the manual, you'll probably want the extra power in the 2.0L from the P5/ES. This model also runs an odd tire size so best to size up to 205.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #12
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
dont quote me, but I think alot of cars needs you to double clutch to go into the reverse gear, is to make sure you dont accidentally mis-shift when you are moving foward
That's because the reverse gear probably doesn't have synchros. With my old CRX's, even when the car was at a full stop, I'd sometimes have to pop into first or second and then into R to avoid any grinding.
BillyBishop is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:16 PM   #13
KO7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Do the Proteges have rust issues like the Protege5? I would imagine so, might want to look into that.
KO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I guess i'm now looking for common 6th gen civic problems as well..i take it that the internals are interchangable = cheaper parts?
Yup, it's essentially a sixth gen si with a trim package.

If you order replacement parts from the dealership then go to Honda, as there is a premium for the identical Acura part. I would look into 01-05 Civics and ELs as well, very comparable to the other two cars and also becoming very affordable.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #15
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
funny, been looking at the same cars myself as i need a 4dr commuter! so in the end what do you guys recommend ? considering i have a 55% surcharge on my ins cus of my at-fault accident, would the mazda protege or mazda5 be a better choice?

Spoiler!

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 12:24 AM   #16
RS controls my life!

Thanked 1,466 Times in 190 Posts
Buddy's dad used the 1.6 el as a driving school car, lasted almost 400k with regular maintenance. Its a great car.
P.s. the EL in the B&S with B18c5 would be perfect IMO
Posted via RS Mobile
FRStan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 AM   #17

some really great discussion in here that's actually quite balanced between the el vs protege...keep them coming!

P5 seems like a fun car ..espeically from supafamous description in that other thread comparing it to the mazda3 but they are just slightly out of my price range.

I haven't got a quote yet but is the insurance for early 7th gen civic DX/LX sedan (01-03) very comparable to the 97-00 1.6EL? avs_racing mentioning the latter as 2k+ for pleasure with 30% off which is a bit discouraging for an old 4-door as a commuter (i have the same discount but it'll be for work and I know insurance can still vary). If the insurance for the civic is similar I may consider early 7th gen civic sedans since it's newer for the same price.

Right now I'm leaning more towards Protege LX/ES (2.0L trims) over the civic sedans.

con: less reliable than the honda? less fuel efficient, harder to find, parts probably pricier
pro: slightly better performance, better styling, not as run of the mill, better pricing

I haven't looked at the common issues for either cars in detail.

xplicitluder here's a good summary on the protege I found:Used Vehicle Review: Mazda Protégé, 1999-2003 - Autos.ca

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-04-2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #18
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
from what I remember the 1.7 el insurance is a bit cheaper than the 1.6 but I have to double check exactly how much.

the 1.7 EL is a bit more roomier than the 1.6 but also still very good on gas, it can easily get 5-550 per tank for mixed city and highway.

but yea the 1.6 has REALLY high insurance, it was only about 1-200 cheaper than a dc2 gsr with similar coverage, pleasure, and same discount rate
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 02:12 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
Do the Proteges have rust issues like the Protege5? I would imagine so, might want to look into that.
There's no rust on my brother's car even from scrapes, bumps and vandalism from the previous owners. There is some tiny bubbling behind the rear license plate on the trunk but that looks self-inflicted. A lot of the rust issues seem to center on the rear wheel arches and along the bottom edge of the trunk.

I don't know if this would be an issue for you or not but I find the red-orange instrument lighting on the Protege's dash to be absolute garbage. It's too dim and I constantly have to re-focus my eyes when looking at the damn thing. I would take the time to get some better bulbs in there.

The other things that come to mind right now would be the cat. The OEM units do not last long according to forum posts; from the service records on my brother's that unit was replaced twice.

As long as you can find one that's been maintained well they're fine. I checked out a few that had well over 300,000 well maintained kms on them and they ran great. The 1.6L would be more economical but I believe they're pre 2001s.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #20

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Never had any rust on my P5 but I was parked indoors most of the time

The ES has the same tuning as the P5 so the fun is all there. I think the LX might have the same tuning as well.

I would take a look at the cars on the island, they tend to be lower mileage for the same price
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 07:40 AM   #21
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,041 Times in 2,076 Posts
I owned a 2000 1.6 EL for a few years and loved it. Yes, they are kind of gutless but ultra reliable. I think i used to average 450-475kms per tank. Used to frequent clubel.ca, might want to check that forum out for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #22
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
the Proteges for that era are good for what they are. Power wise, it would have an advantage if you are looking at the 2.0 inline 4 versus the EL, which is limited to 1.6 stock. The Mazda's tq emphasis will get you thru City traffic effortlessly.

reliability wise, I would think both are almost equal as they are aged now. With proper care, these econo work horses can last quite awhile.

(personally I have a hard on for 1992 ish proteges for some odd reason. They handle quite well if you can manage to find a 1992/93 Protege GT. They were one of the cars that constantly took my abuse and kept on ticking. )
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 AM   #23
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,264 Times in 1,624 Posts
i have 4 friends who own a 1.6EL in stock form as their daily driver/winter beater. i also have another 2 friends who have a modified 1.6EL with 1.8L and 2.0L engines. i highly doubt their insurance is thru the roof because it's generally the coupes and hatches that have higher insurance and especially the 99-00 SiR's being the #1 stolen car in BC for the last decade.

i will be seeing them today so i'll ask what their insurance is like.

this question has been asked of 1.6EL's many times here on RS and the general consensus is to stay away from the automatic transmission EL's. the manual is fine and their reliability is close to bulletproof.

as usual, the difference between the honda civic sedan and the acura el is the motor and interior. here you're comparing the d16y7 (non-vtec, 106hp) vs the d16y8 (vtec, 127hp). the d16y8 in the 1.6EL is a LOT better than the d16y7. it's not a whole lot better but it is noticeably better. as for the interior, all the standard options are there: power windows, power steering, a/c, sunroof (premium model), heated/power folding mirrors, etc. premium model also had heated seats and leather interior that weren't options in the civic sedan.

the one interesting thing to note in the 1.6EL is the extra, lower DIN pocket and cupholder. while it's nice to have an extra DIN pocket, it makes the cupholder rather useless. you can only fit a medium tim horton's or medium mcd's cup (without the straw) in there. but, you can always swap this out with a cupholder from any 96-00 civic and lose that DIN pocket.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !NR View Post

(personally I have a hard on for 1992 ish proteges for some odd reason. They handle quite well if you can manage to find a 1992/93 Protege GT. They were one of the cars that constantly took my abuse and kept on ticking. )
Same here. Came across this the other day:
1993 Mazda Protege 4dr 5spm (1.8L) *Aircare'd *GAS SAVER*

OP, P5's are pretty expensive compared to the regular Protege's of the same years. Unless you need the space, stick with the sedan. Great city cars, more torque and cheaper than the Acura. That said, the EL's are proven to generally only require basic maintenance and should hold their value a bit better.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawdregry4g View Post
The only common problem I can think of right now is that in these proteges it's sometimes hard to put into reverse gear, so occasionally I'd have to pop to neutral and clutch in again before i can get it in.
My car had that issue since new, easy way to work around it is to shift into 2nd from 1st and then into reverse.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote