REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 AM   #1
I don't get it

Badminton drop-ins

I have always liked badminton but my skills were never on par with this liking. I'm intermediate at best. I got more time now so I figured I could play to get a workout and meet people.

A friend and I want to play and I see drop-ins available everywhere at community centers and badminton clubs in Richmond. Unfortunately, my friend has less time than me to play so it will mainly just be me looking for a court and people to play with.

My only question is how welcoming will things be if I showed up at one of these drop-in's alone. I been to places like Yumo and ClearOne with a group of friends and more often than not, everyone seems so pro so I'm a bit worried if I can even get chance to play at all. And most people only play with the friends they bring? Last time I went with friends, it was a bit intimidating to see courts full of guys and old folks smashing right and left.

I can't ask other friends as they firmly prefer to play with people at their skill level. Anyone here casually play?
Advertisement
butter_sashimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by butter_sashimi View Post
I have always liked badminton but my skills were never on par with this liking. I'm intermediate at best. I got more time now so I figured I could play to get a workout and meet people.

A friend and I want to play and I see drop-ins available everywhere at community centers and badminton clubs in Richmond. Unfortunately, my friend has less time than me to play so it will mainly just be me looking for a court and people to play with.

My only question is how welcoming will things be if I showed up at one of these drop-in's alone. I been to places like Yumo and ClearOne with a group of friends and more often than not, everyone seems so pro so I'm a bit worried if I can even get chance to play at all. And most people only play with the friends they bring? Last time I went with friends, it was a bit intimidating to see courts full of guys and old folks smashing right and left.

I can't ask other friends as they firmly prefer to play with people at their skill level. Anyone here casually play?

You're having an experience that I used to have when I started learning the sport. Perhaps if you took badminton lessons to improve your game and meet new people you can have more badminton buddies to play with. I recommend doing that.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
Treasure Chest MOD

Thanked 1,602 Times in 704 Posts
Yeah, I've always wanted to do drop-ins but the same reason that's stopping you is the same reason that's stopping me... I've played at clear one with a few friends a couple of times last year i think, and it was indeed pretty intimidating to see a whole bunch of pros wacking to and fro... They stopped going for awhile, so naturally, like you, I'd find it awkward to drop in alone with my amateur skills haha

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
instantneedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
I don't get it

Thanks for the replies!

Rather than taking lessons, I been told by friends who did improve their skills that they did so from just simply playing casually. But it's ironic that they are now the same people who give off that discriminating vibe of elitism.

Anyways, I have looked into taking lessons. And amazingly, community centers only offer lessons to beginners. Other than that, its drop-ins and court rentals for advanced players (free for alls play). Where do you go after your graduate from being a beginner? Play with friends? This just sends me into a circle. I looked at the badminton clubs and geebus, lessons are pricey, so I'm still debating and searching around.

Surely amateurs are still around.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 PM   #5
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
You're having an experience that I used to have when I started learning the sport. Perhaps if you took badminton lessons to improve your game and meet new people you can have more badminton buddies to play with. I recommend doing that.
To get out of that experience, did you just end up playing with friends who were at your skill level or did you take lessons yourself? If so, where?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #6
Summertime Sadness

Thanked 2,911 Times in 648 Posts
RS noob-ish baddie meet?

[15-01, 11:33] ICE BOY i'm going to wrap my dick in a crepe and make you suck the filling

[[09-10, 11:34] ICE BOY liquor in the front, poker in the rear
LSF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2012, 04:04 AM   #7
I don't get it

^ That doesn't sound too bad
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #8

I took badminton lessons at the Vancouver Racquet Club:

Vancouver Racquet and Fitness Club, Badminton and Squash Facilities British Columbia, Canada
Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
RS noob-ish baddie meet?
Quote:
^ That doesn't sound too bad
Is it BYOR ?

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I know Britannia has drop ins on Monday nights at 730. I believe you pay $4.25 or something, there are many people from various skill levels that play.
Posted via RS Mobile
candyholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
degenerate extraordinaire

most drop in places, including community centers vary from intermediate to advanced (and maybe near pro?)

it is really intimidating for beginners to find a place to play, especially drop ins where you are usually forced to play against people you don't know.

they need to start a place where it's strictly for beginners
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:32 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

If you wanna play with beginners, go to bonsor/bcit

Bonsor every wednesday and sunday 8-10pm
BCIT every Tues and Thurs 8-10:45pm
The drop in fee is about $7
Old 03-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Treasure Chest MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSF22 View Post
RS noob-ish baddie meet?
Is this actually goin down? lol

There are no principles, there are only events. There is no good and bad, there are only circumstances. The superior espouses events and circumstances in order to guide them.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Bump...

Anyone know where to find deals on badminton shoes or indoor court shoes? Tad's on Granville sells the Yonex SHB 102 for $110, same shoe at Sportschek for $140.

I tried ebay and amazon, it works out to be more expensive than $110.

I thought getting it shipped within US would be cheaper, but no luck.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
^
I bought a pair a few years ago at Crystal Mall (across from the Beard Papa inside). Not sure if it's still around though, since I haven't went back for as many years.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #16
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Check Yumo Pro Shop Canada | Badminton Goods located in Richmond, British Columbia Brands: Yonex, Victor, Apacs, Mizuno but tads have some of the greatest pricing.

If you are interested for drop in call me up sometime. (PM for number). If you live in south surrey. Head to their recreation center. But if you are looking for a buddy to hit with just call me up. Though it's good to play alone sometimes cause you can watch other people play and see what they do. Also gives you the skill to ask and communicate with other people.

I would be either green or red shell referring to Badmintology.

Just checked yumo for you. Here's the link.

http://www.yumo.ca/?s=102&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search&post_ty pe=product

The price is 90$ no tax have to pay in cash though.
tdeweyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
I don't get it

Burnaby and surrey is a bit too far from where I am. Vancouver and Richmond are ideal. Lessons at centers specializing in badminton are pricey or not available at this time =\

It looks like I have to muster up the guts and approach a drop-in.

We should have a noob meet lol
Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Burnaby and surrey is a bit too far from where I am. Vancouver and Richmond are ideal. Lessons at centers specializing in badminton are pricey or not available at this time =\

It looks like I have to muster up the guts and approach a drop-in.

We should have a noob meet lol
Count me in but I have an individuals tournament this Thursday so not that day. Richmond Pro or ClearOne/ClearTwo. I believe it's like $5 drop in but I don't know how long it is. Phone to check up.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglydewey View Post
Count me in but I have an individuals tournament this Thursday so not that day. Richmond Pro or ClearOne/ClearTwo. I believe it's like $5 drop in but I don't know how long it is. Phone to check up.
+1. Count me in for an RS badminton meet if it happens.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:49 AM   #20

Sounds good so everyone should meet in Richmond for the RS Badminton Meet Up.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

I'd be mind coming to a RS badminton for noobs.. actually just picked up badminton and would like to play more.. but fyi im super noob.. (still learning how to clear properly and grips)
MelonBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
I am Hook'd on RS

i'd be down!
94supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #23
Treasure Chest MOD

Count me in on this...

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 PM   #24
G
Banned (BBM)

I'd be down too!
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #25

Anyone want to get this rolling (plan it) or should I just do it? No age limit no level limits? Any particular days?