REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2012, 08:43 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Chipped Front Windshield and ICBC

I have 2x ninja stars (one centre, one really close to the edge on the bottom right corner) on my front windshield

My insurance has $300 deductible

If I claim it, will my ICBC rate go up? Im on the first year of 40% discount.

Also I heard Broco is the best place to get it replaced. Broco in Coqu to be exact. What about the Richmond Branch? are they just as good as the coqu branch?

Thanks!
Advertisement
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #2
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Windshield claims do not affect discounts. I believe a windshield claim is $200 deductible

Also not sure that they will replace the windshield unless the chip/crack is severe. They will likely try to repair it to keep it from spreading. And this will be on your own dollar since ICBC doesn't pay for chip repairs anymore.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Windshield claims do not affect discounts. I believe a windshield claim is $200 deductible

Also not sure that they will replace the windshield unless the chip/crack is severe. They will likely try to repair it to keep it from spreading. And this will be on your own dollar since ICBC doesn't pay for chip repairs anymore.
My Windshield needs to be replaced. If the chip is within 5 CM range from the edge which my bottom right corner, is within 5CM range. So definitely needed to be replaced
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Like UFO mentioned, your discount will not be affected. I think windshield claims are $200 though if you paid for comprehensive.

I went to Broco on Marine Dr/Heather in Vancouver and it was quick and hassle free.
Kayci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
Deductable is based on policy. Mine is at $300, I could have it at $500 to save a few bux a year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
Do u get an OEM factory glass when you replace? Or it doesn't matter quality wise
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #7

Haven't got my windshield replace?

There is a difference between OEM factory glass? and regular glass?
Old 03-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #8
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,833 Times in 1,836 Posts
Is the rich broco right across canadaline by cambie and no3? If so i went there. No proor experience for windshield replacements. So i say they did a good job. I think it only took 2hrs.
TOS'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOS'd View Post
Is the rich broco right across canadaline by cambie and no3? If so i went there. No proor experience for windshield replacements. So i say they did a good job. I think it only took 2hrs.
ya behind Domo Gas Station and next to Tim Horton
Old 03-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #10
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

broco in coquitlam is good, but i get my glass work done at B&D autobody and glass on clark drive just north of first avenue... their glass installer is really really good...
fng@regencyauto.com

Last edited by narfy; 03-07-2012 at 11:36 AM.
narfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Some people claim OEM glass is thicker than some of the aftermarket glass that is available. IIRC, some people on the CIvic or Integra forums were saying their aftermarket glass cracked in the winter when they turned on their heaters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #12

So I went to broco in richmond. Didn't pay for the OEM replacement thing in my insurance, so I had 3rd party glass installed.

It's been through some cold temperatures since I frequently hit up the mountains for snowboarding. It's been totally fine even with my heaters on full blast warming up the windscreen.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #13

what!?! there is extra option of oem replacement?

my comprehensive doesn't cover it?

so I guess i'll get an aftermarket one?
Old 03-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Deductable is based on policy. Mine is at $300, I could have it at $500 to save a few bux a year.
My comprehensive deductible is at the minimum $300. So if I get a side window smashed, it is $300. But windshield deductible is only $200 despite being more labour intensive to repair and the piece of glass being more expensive also.

OEM glass is usually more expensive. When you buy your car new, there is usually the option to purchase extra coverage to replace damaged body parts with OEM components only.

ICBC | Glass or windshield claim
Quote:
Paying the deductible

For windshield damage caused by flying objects such as rocks or gravel, the deductible is $200 (if you bought Comprehensive coverage with the minimum $300 deductible).

You pay the Comprehensive deductible to the repair shop.

The deductible is the amount you have to pay towards repairs or costs before your insurance kicks in to pay for the rest.

Windshield repairs

Sometimes a windshield can be safely repaired instead of replaced.

Comprehensive insurance doesn’t cover the cost of repairing a damaged windshield. However, it usually costs less to repair a windshield than to pay a deductible.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I have the similar situation, but where's a good place in Vancouver?
see.lai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Bump.. yes recommendations/ suggestions please.

Got a chip on the I5 and turned into a crack coming home...

tia
BaBiE_Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #17
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
if you wait till after summer (august/sept) broco has a 2 for 1 / free 1 chip repair promo. got mine done at richmond last year. pretty fast , 30-40mins from what i remember. they also warranty against spreads.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,064 Times in 555 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have this super tiny chip on my windshield, do we have any place in Vancouver that will fix that for free?

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:16 PM   #19
10psi aint enough...

I think I posted the same thread last year about window chips.

The icbc rep told me that back in 200x, icbc would cover your expenses for window chips but they dont now. Everything is paid by you.

So I took my car to speedy glass on east 12/kingsway and got them to fix the damage, costed under $100... Think it was $97.xx or so, also backed with lifetime guarantee as long as you own the car.

Dropped off with no appt., luckily they were free and took them under 45mins, good customer service, staff was very friendly, and they cleaned the front windshield spotlessly.

Still cheaper than icbc deductible of $200 or whatever...
Yah, its upsetting when theres a crack and its not your fault...good luck buddy!
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
retired

If you do a windshield claim through a Glass Express shop, such as Broco, Speedy etc, most of the time, you are going to receive an aftermarket windshield. (Unless you have OEM replacement policy)

It's funny how it works, sometimes, the aftermarket windshield costs more then the OEM one.

Best way to possibly get an OEM glass, is to bring it to a bodyshop to deal with the claim, as they would generate the claim accordingly.

Whenever I do these claims, I always check OEM first, and compare my prices.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #21
Banned (ABWS)

Lot's of OEM's use PGW.

I had mine done at this shady brown shop up in Surrey for $150 with PGW glass.

The weatherstripping has come off though.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:09 PM   #22

When I got mine done at Broco, they replaced it with Pilkington Glass. Not sure what online reviews say, but as stated in my earlier post, its been fine with the change in temperature etc. And the weatherstripping is still all perfect.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:12 PM   #23

Had mine done at Broco Burnaby.

The first one was a PGW and there's a distortion I noticed the next day. Brought it back in and they agreed and ordered another PGW for me. Second PGW came and they inspected but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Put it on the car and there's a distortion in the exact same spot so they were thinking it's that batch of glass. They tried looking for another brand for my car and located one in Montreal and got it shipped here. Turns out it's another PGW and they didn't bother putting it on. Finally they ordered an OE one and covered the price difference and it's been perfect since.

I paid my ICBC deductible and got a courtesy car every time it was getting replaced and they were courteous the whole time and didn't charge me extra. Highly recommended.

EDIT:
Another time (that was years ago) got a chip repaired at Speedy Glass (Kingsway & East 12th Ave.) My windshield cracked a couple days later and they agreed to refund the amount I paid for the chip repair. Booked an appointment for a windshield replacement for 8am on Saturday. Got there and they weren't even opened! They open at 8:30 on Saturday and for some reason booked me in at 8am. Waited for them to open and obviously wasn't pleased. Got the car back late afternoon and the windshield seems a little off at the moulding. Also wiper arms weren't even put back into the correct resting position (above 2 inches above where it should be). Will never go back there.

Last edited by littledog; 04-03-2012 at 11:17 PM.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark0821 View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread but I have this super tiny chip on my windshield, do we have any place in Vancouver that will fix that for free?
Broco any location

sometimes if the chip is so small they fix it for free =)

I got it free from them before, but it really depend on their mood and task
Old 04-03-2012, 11:46 PM   #25
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

yeah I've heard of some really good reviews from Broco in coq from friends who have been there.
If not I've personally been to the speedyglass up at north van, on brookspank ave, (right across from park and tilford gardens). Anyways the guys there seems really knowledgeable, honest and nice. When I went there to get a chip looked at on my previous vehicle because winter was just around the corner and stuff they examined my chip only to have informed me that the chip was already filled (by previous owner I'm guessing) and that they felt I should just leave it, however they offered to squeeze more gel in at my own risk (for free!) if I really wanted to try. In the end I left without trying it and the guys did a very good job vacuuming the interior of my vehicle without me actually purchasing any of their services.

oh and I believe that the windshield replacement costs will be whatever your deductible is, and at speedyglass they offer to sell insurance when repairing your windshield, so if it breaks during the process and you have the insurance purchased. They will replace your windshield.
mqin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: