REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

3 tickets in a year...can I lose my license?

If I had 2 speeding tickets (non-excessive) and 1 other ticket for an illegal left turn within 1 year, can I have my license suspended? I'm not too familiar with how the points system works, can someone please explain it to me?

Thanks
Advertisement
canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I think it depends on how many points you have and your license will be up for review.
Firmware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Are you a new driver?
Old 03-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
If you're a new driver, yeah you might lose it unless you choose to dispute. Which is probably the best option if u wanna delay to get ur class 5 cus it takes em around a year to set up a court date.

If ur class 5 then no u won't lose ur license. Your premiums might go up because u went over the 3 points alotted per year.
Posted via RS Mobile
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #5
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I have my class 5, haven't had a ticket til this year where I got a little careless and had a stretch of bad luck.

Got a speeding ticket 3 weeks ago, wondering if I should dispute or just pay it. If I run the risk of getting suspended I was considering disputing...
Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #6
fd3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Dispute it anyways, worst thing thats gonna happen is u pay it they reduce it
And well ur ticket is delayedd
Posted via RS Mobile
fd3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

What if I can't make the court date? I'm going to Asia this summer and if I'm not available, is there a way I can push the date back?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

If you can't make the court date, you automatically lose. When I disputed my tickets, it took me a year to recieve a court date, so I don't think you have to worry about the summer trip.

If your class 5, you won't lose your license. The points you gain from speeding tickets would probably make you pay premiums next year. I think its 2 points for a speeding ticket and starting 4 points cost premiums.
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:57 AM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
You are looking at 9 points in one year...each VT is good for 3 points. At that point I believe that you will very likely get a letter once you have passed the 30 day dispute deadline. That letter will almost definitely tell you that your DL will be suspended. Take a look at the sticky above about points and prohibitions/suspensions.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

I was pretty sure 9 points is a little low to be suspended.
That can be racked up in a single ticket or two if the officer is feeling extra picky. Would be silly to lose your license over one or two minor incidents.

Quote:
Drivers get a warning letter if they rack up nine to 14 driving demerit points, said Mark Jan Vrem, manager of media relations for the Insurance Bureau of British Columbia. After that, it's an escalating series of driving bans.

"Fifteen to 19 points will trigger a prohibition that runs from three to 12 months, 20 to 24 points the prohibition is from four to 18 months and 25 to 49 points is five to 24 months," Vrem said. "Also, if you get two convictions for excessive speeding (40 kilometres over the limit), that'll also trigger a driving prohibition that can range from three to 18 months."
9-14 = Warning Letter, and any additional is a ban?
15-19+ = Immediate Prohibition

Public Safety Minister loses driver's licence over speeding tickets :: The Hook
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Driver Improvement Program - Driver Behaviour and Road Safety - Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles - British Columbia

Do a little reading about what gets you prohibited. Lower threshold for new drivers too.

Driver Improvement Program
Policies and Guidelines
Driver Improvement Program Page 14
September 2010
4.2 New Drivers Intervention Chart – No Previous Prohibitions
Old 03-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
...on a mission....

The Superintendent of Motor Vehicles does not need a reason to suspend your license. This is where we should all be "wary" of y'all!!! That information on the OSMV website is only a "guide", not the rules. This is to the extreme, but if the OSMV found out you swerved just over the yellow line for instance, this office CAN consider you "a danger to the public" (common catch phrase from the OSMV) and suspend you license for what ever duration this office decides to. Ask any lawyer.....you can beat the MVA, but you can't beat the OSMV. The OSMV has no one to answer to...sure, you can take a decision to the Supreme Court of BC, but it is called a "judicial revue"....not a court case as we expect it to be, or where the Supreme Court of BC can overturn an OSMV decision. This is why, in the case I am familiar with, the license suspension was still made to be served.....even though we are waiting for a court date with the Supreme Court of BC!!!!
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 10:51 AM   #13
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Driver Improvement Program - Driver Behaviour and Road Safety - Office of the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles - British Columbia

Do a little reading about what gets you prohibited. Lower threshold for new drivers too.

Driver Improvement Program
Policies and Guidelines
Driver Improvement Program Page 14
September 2010
4.2 New Drivers Intervention Chart – No Previous Prohibitions

He said he had his class 5, so please reference DIP Policies and Guidelines 4.1 which mimics the outline I previously stated.

The beginning stage of the DIP is a warning letter up to 14 points.

New drivers are defined by the policy as those within the GLP (Class 7x)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simnut View Post
The Superintendent of Motor Vehicles does not need a reason to suspend your license. This is where we should all be "wary" of y'all!!! That information on the OSMV website is only a "guide", not the rules. This is to the extreme, but if the OSMV found out you swerved just over the yellow line for instance, this office CAN consider you "a danger to the public" (common catch phrase from the OSMV) and suspend you license for what ever duration this office decides to. Ask any lawyer.....you can beat the MVA, but you can't beat the OSMV. The OSMV has no one to answer to...sure, you can take a decision to the Supreme Court of BC, but it is called a "judicial revue"....not a court case as we expect it to be, or where the Supreme Court of BC can overturn an OSMV decision. This is why, in the case I am familiar with, the license suspension was still made to be served.....even though we are waiting for a court date with the Supreme Court of BC!!!!
While this is true, I'd imagine it is unlikely for adjudicators to step outside the boundaries of the guidelines except when there is extra pressure or extenuating circumstances in the case.
That is why they publicly state guidelines, adjudicators use them to guide their decisions while still having the authority and power to be arbitrary with abnormal circumstances

Last edited by Bainne; 03-10-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Bainne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #14
...on a mission....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bainne View Post

While this is true, it is unlikely for adjudicators to step outside the boundaries of the guidelines except when there is extra pressure or extenuating circumstances in the case.
That is while they publicly state guidelines, adjudicators use them to guide their decisions while still having the authority and power to be arbitrary with abnormal circumstances
Ummmm....wrong. I can give you many examples of where the OSMV does not follow the guide lines....even in NORMAL circumstances. The office cannot even interpret the MVA act correctly!!! Do some research on section 90.3 of the MVA, and then compare it to the "information" that is on the OSMV website regarding 12 hour suspensions. Tell me if you see a BLATENT error.
Simnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #15
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
You are looking at 9 points in one year...each VT is good for 3 points. At that point I believe that you will very likely get a letter once you have passed the 30 day dispute deadline. That letter will almost definitely tell you that your DL will be suspended. Take a look at the sticky above about points and prohibitions/suspensions.
Not necessarily. I had 3 tickets in the span of two months during my stupider days and I got a letter telling me I was under observation and to smarten the f up. I did, and never ended up loosing it. And it was over 9pts, one was an exessive.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

As Simnut said above the OSMV can do whatever they want about the levels they use to yank a DL. I know of one that was yanked for just one VT and the accompanying attitude.