REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Question about radar speed gun (https://www.revscene.net/forums/664677-question-about-radar-speed-gun.html)

aznb 03-14-2012 10:38 PM

Question about radar speed gun

Do radar speed guns take pictures?
The other night I passed by a solo officer using a radar gun at a speedlimit change zone. I was basically the only car on the road and I'm not exactly sure if I was within speed limit. He didn't pull me over nor was there a flash.

Has anyone had speeding ticket mailed to them from a radar gun capture (no pullover)?

mqin 03-14-2012 10:53 PM

no they wont take pictures. Don't have to worry about that.

zulutango 03-15-2012 04:24 AM

Radar uses radio waves to compute speeds...hence the word "radio" as the first word in Radar. Radio waves don't capture images. Unless someone had a camera with them there as well, there would be no way that a Radar unit could physically take a picture. Intersection cameras are a different matter as they are cameras that take pictures.

Bainne 03-16-2012 12:53 PM

They called that Photo Radar and in BC it was kiboshed in 2001.

zulutango 03-16-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainne (Post 7851594)
They called that Photo Radar and in BC it was kiboshed in 2001.

To be technically correct...they did not abolish it, the laws still remain in place. Because of politics the liberals decided to stop enforcing it but it can be used at any time the Govt wishes to start it again. Recently there have been calls to use it on the Malahat but no Kodak moments yet.

Bainne 03-16-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zulutango (Post 7851775)
To be technically correct...they did not abolish it, the laws still remain in place. Because of politics the liberals decided to stop enforcing it but it can be used at any time the Govt wishes to start it again. Recently there have been calls to use it on the Malahat but no Kodak moments yet.

Interesting! Learn something new every day. I thought they had passed legislation doing away with it.

I guess that explains why the NDP can bring it back in so easily and are pushing to do so. Got to have some way to pay for all the social programs :p

sebberry 03-16-2012 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bainne (Post 7851830)
Got to have some way to pay for all the social programs :p

That makes no sense. Photo enforcement is so effective at reducing violations it doesn't bring any money in.

No, wait.. that's not it.

TornTech 03-18-2012 09:44 PM

The radar gun doesn't take a picture. If they see you speeding, they simply write down your license plate number.

zulutango 03-19-2012 05:24 AM

I guess that explains why the NDP can bring it back in so easily and are pushing to do so. Got to have some way to pay for all the social programs :p[/QUOTE]

Naaahhh...they would never do that. They will get all their money by taxing the evil rich. That will never affect us 99% ers in any way. :fullofwin: