REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 PM   #1
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Red light runners in Richmond up 600 percent

How about we put a red light camera at every intersection and use the proceeds to pay for our roads?

Massive 600 per cent spike in tickets issued

BY ALAN CAMPBELL, RICHMOND NEWSMARCH 15, 2012 6:03 PM

Remember drivers, these red lights mean stop.
Photograph by: Jennifer Steck, Getty Images/iStockphoto
The number of Richmond drivers getting caught running red lights at dangerous intersections has reached epidemic levels.

Figures released by ICBC on request of the News revealed a shocking 1,394 local motorists were issued tickets for running red lights last year — a massive spike of more than 600 per cent from 2010.

It’s understood that much of the incredible rise can be credited to the installation of more “intersection safety cameras” at accident hot spots around the city.

However, the five extra cameras were only put in place in November last year, indicating that the majority of the infractions happened only in the last six or seven weeks of the year.

The startling figures barely raised an eyebrow with Cpl. Kevin Lin, from Richmond RCMP’s road safety unit, who sees crazy driving on the city’s roads every day.

“No, I’m not at all (surprised),” said Lin.

“I knew that, because of the locations the cameras were placed, that it would probably produce numbers like this.

“At the newer (locations) we are there regularly for collisions and those intersections are known for their problems.”

In 2009 and 2010, Richmond had just four intersection cameras, with a total of 242 and 230 tickets issued respectively to drivers running red lights. Last year, the number of cameras jumped to nine after the launch of a province-wide safety program initiated by the B.C. government, police and ICBC.

There were a total of 30,803 red light tickets issued across B.C. last year, a leap of around 50 per cent from the previous year, compared to Richmond’s 600 per cent increase.

Aggressive driving is the main reason for the meteoric rise, according to Lin.

“People simply do not want to wait for the lights,” he said.

“It really hasn’t come as that big of a surprise, as intersection crashes are a huge issue in Richmond.

“We try very hard to focus our efforts on those intersections all the time.”

If the police catch you, it’s a $167 fine plus points on your license. If the camera catches you, it’s the same fine, but you usually escape points because it’s the registered owner who gets the slap, as opposed to the actual driver.

Lin said the best advice he can give to law-abiding drivers is to be “extra cautious” and be aware that there are people who are going to take chances and not always stop when they should.

But of the impatient culprits?

“They will get caught at some point. They will either get caught by the cameras or by us; but they will get caught,” he added.

Illegal u-turns at major intersections in Richmond are another big problem for Lin’s department.

“A huge misconception in Richmond is the no u-turn at a controlled intersection, especially on No. 3 Road,” he said.

“There are a few courtesy signs telling people that, but when they’re stopped by us, they complain that there wasn’t a sign. But there are no u-turns at a controlled intersection anywhere in B.C.”

The figures released by ICBC also showed that the numbers of fines issued in Richmond for distracted driving — namely, being on the phone — multiplied by more than 70 per cent last year to 1,493.

And the number of tickets issued for emailing or texting while driving in the city jumped to 70 from 41 in 2010.

Intersection safety cameras in Richmond are at: Cambie and No. 5 roads; No. 3 and Blundell roads; Gilbert and Blundell roads; No. 3 Road at Westminster Highway; No. 5 Rd at Westminster Highway; Garden City Road at Westminster Highway; Alderbridge Way at Shell Road; Garden City and Cambie roads and Garden City Road at Alderbridge Way.

Read more from the Richmond News here.

© Copyright (c) Richmond News
Advertisement
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM   #2
PRINCESS

I wish they made u-turn cameras too
Hate when dumbasses u-turn on 3 Rd when there are on-coming traffics, thinking their shitty driving skills & luxury SUV'scan fit in to one lane. But they don't and almost collide with vehicle onthe other lane and scares the fuck out of people who's not doing anything wrong.
Posted via RS Mobile
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Of those 1394 ticketed, how many were tagged incorrectly (ie late lefts, yellows)?
Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts

Richmond
Old 03-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I'm usually for all the cop checks and things they implement to make our streets safer. I noticed with intersections with red light cameras that a lot of people 'gun it' when the light hits yellow... even more so than normal. In cases where the driver will run a late yellow or red regardless of a camera being there, it ends up making it much more dangerous especially when you have someone turning left the other way. If an accident happens it will be at a higher velocity.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Of those 1394 ticketed, how many were tagged incorrectly (ie late lefts, yellows)?
If it was done by cameras, you'll be able to see the car clearly over the line before the light turned red. Officers screen those before the tickets are issued.

If you were turning left, you still must have entered the intersection before the light turns red. Just because you're turning left, it doesn't mean you're allowed the run the light.

I don't drive into Richmond on a daily basis, but still go down twice a week to west richmond for a class with my dboat team - and I see people running full reds often.

I have no sympathy for people running reds. I think they should put up cameras on every intersection. Maybe then will people stop running the lights. I don't care if it's a cash grab.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
Putting up red light cameras would be great, but what if the driver sees a red light, and they SLAM on the brakes to avoid the ticket and there's no way for the car behind him/her to stop safely and BAM ! Rear ended, assuming they were not tailgating or doing outlandish speeds. It would be difficult for the driver behind to argue with ICBC it's not his/her fault.

Lots of pros/cons from putting cameras at every light it'll be hard to make the switch and it'll come down to the cost of the cameras as well.
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #8
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise240 View Post
Putting up red light cameras would be great, but what if the driver sees a red light, and they SLAM on the brakes to avoid the ticket and there's no way for the car behind him/her to stop safely and BAM ! Rear ended, assuming they were not tailgating or doing outlandish speeds. It would be difficult for the driver behind to argue with ICBC it's not his/her fault.

Lots of pros/cons from putting cameras at every light it'll be hard to make the switch and it'll come down to the cost of the cameras as well.
You act like this doesn't already happen. I've seen many people slam to avoid running into an intersection on a red light.

If you're following distance is reasonable and you're paying attention, there's no reason you should hit the person in front of you.

If you do hit the person in front of you, it's pretty easy with ICBC. It's entirely your fault for rear ending the other car. Case closed.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,324 Times in 264 Posts
I never said it doesn't, but it'll increase the rate of it happening.

Yes, that's very true if your in a lighter car, but I see many larger vehicles on the road which can't stop as sharply.
Paradise240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:

if you see a red light, you are already waaaaaaay too late. If you see a yellow light, you need to gauge how far you are and if you're able to stop safely; nobody is asking you to slam to a screeching halt. If you can't do that safely (this is a very basic driving technique), you shouldn't be on the road.

I drive through an intersection with a red light camera like how I drive through every intersection. I don't pay more attention to the lights just because there's a camera. I don't recall once where I came up to an intersection and slammed to a halt because I was worried the camera would catch me.

When I approach an intersection, I always scan my rearview mirror to see how close the person is behind me. If he/she is tailing me, I slow down or tap the brakes so they know I might be stopping at the light. Defensive driving 101.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Quote:

Yes, that's very true if your in a lighter car, but I see many larger vehicles on the road which can't stop as sharply.
It doesn't matter if you're driving a semi with a trailer, it's up to you to keep a safe following distance. Plus if you were behind the other car, you would see the yellow and know you're not going to make it. You would already be stopping.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
Wanna have a threesome?

Thanked 5,054 Times in 1,657 Posts
Quote:

The only valid reason for that larger vehicle to not always maintain a following distance which allows for the vehicle to come to a complete stop is if they another vehicle cuts in front of them, but even then, a comfortable safety margin to allow for this circumstance should exist. Driving a large vehicle carries the responsibility of recognizing it is not a small car and requires additional caution to operate, including paying attention to the ignorant other drivers on the road.
MindBomber is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2012, 08:06 PM   #13
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,266 Times in 1,624 Posts
This shit happens downtown ALL the freaking time. I'm more surprised when people DON'T turn/cross intersections DURING and LONG AFTER a red light.
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #14
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
more cameras mean more richmonders gonna rear end each other..

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Can someone enlighten me why we have a red light camera besides it being a cash cow?

These speeders who try beating the light will know where these cameras are. (They stick out like a sore thumb)

While the average joe who had a lapse in judgment and gauged their distance wrong takes the brunt of the fines.

The majority of us can agree that when this does happen it's unintentional.
Ludepower is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #16
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post
Can someone enlighten me why we have a red light camera besides it being a cash cow?

These speeders who try beating the light will know where these cameras are. (They stick out like a sore thumb)

While the average joe who had a lapse in judgment and gauged their distance wrong takes the brunt of the fines.

Most red light cameras are placed at intersections that have a history of accidents caused by people who run red lights. If the cameras deter people from running red lights (like you suggest because the cameras stick out like a sore thumb), then this will bring down the number of accidents (which are a lot more dangerous than people getting rear-ended).

And I'll be honest, in the 12 years I've been driving, I don't ever recall having a lapse in judgment and running a red light. There have been times where I might have run a stale yellow, but never a red.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #17
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Finally, some punishment for the retarded driving in Richmond. In the intersection by St. Edwards and Bridgeport, there is almost a guarantee some impatient asshole would run a stale red (i.e. the opposing lane left turn arrow light is green).

Not to mention the retards who go 50km/h and guns it when they see a yellow
Geoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 AM   #18
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Did the cars have this:

Duff Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-16-2012, 06:07 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludepower View Post

In other words: DRIVERS WHO ARE NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO THE ROAD. Maybe a nice ticket in the mail is what they need to snap them back to reality.

Remember that red light cameras DON'T ACTUALLY ACTIVATE UNTIL THE LIGHT IS RED. If you're snapped on one of these, it means you ENTERED the intersection ON A RED LIGHT. No lapses in judgement for you in that case, you're a straight-on fucktard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
I've heard the excuse by "someone" I know saying...

"Oh the light must be broken." And the person would run the red light.. she did this when I was in the car and I freaked!! There were no cars around but never-the-less I had the face of...
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #21

I was in a cab in Richmond once and the cabbie blew through a red light... I was like, "ARE YOU FUCKING CRAZY?!", and he says, "No, it's okay, I learn to drive from my brother, he go through red lights all the time."

Then we came up to a green light and the cabbie stopped and I was like, "WTF man, it's green!", and he says, "Yes, but my brother might be coming the other way."
Quote:
Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #22
WHAT? NO FOOD?

Thanked 1,134 Times in 231 Posts
^ This is mind blown but kinda funny at the same time

Nevertheless I'm probably gonna prohibit myself from taking a cab.

Last edited by Santofu; 03-16-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #23

It's a JOKE (and a very old one).
Quote:
Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #24
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts

But I'm Asian too
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:12 AM   #25
Official Texas Ambassador

Thanked 5,671 Times in 1,324 Posts
On the other side of this discussion:

Does running red lights happen a lot in Asia?
She taught me right from wrong and always told me to stay positive and help others no matter how small the deed - that helping others gives us meaning to carry on. The sun is out today and it's a new day. Life is good. I just needed a slap in the face.
El Bastardo is offline   Reply With Quote