REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

any point of reporting hit and run without plate#?

some goof thought he should squeez into the left turn lane while i was going straight even though he wouldnt be able to fit, this was at a complete stop waitin in line for the red light... little did he know i was in a 5speed and rolled back a tiny bit and hit his right front fender....

i looked at the damamge and seems like its just a scuff.. hopefully it will buff out... im just not sure if i should report it or not though, i have no plate number... maybe he had no time to stop and just speed off... i pulled into a parking lot after the incident and thought he would follow but he just took off.... if it buffs out i wont mind...

right now i dont think i should report it cuz i dont got plate number... but just wanted to know from other people if i should? im sure he has my plate numbers and maybe he will report it?
Advertisement
gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

Seeing as you rolled backwards into the other vehicle, you would likely be found at fault.
Posted via RS Mobile
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

The way you stated the incident, this would be your fault.

Just hope that you aren't getting a mail/call from ICBC. But seeing as it was a tight fit, he probably thought he hit you.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

http://www.revscene.net/forums/57838...situation.html

Are you the red car as seen in the above? I assume it was a bit of a hill since you rolled back. I thought there was a 30cm leeway allowance for rollbacks.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM   #5
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Seeing as you rolled backwards into the other vehicle, you would likely be found at fault.
Posted via RS Mobile
So some schmuck decides to wedge himself in so tightly that you don't have an inch or two to roll back and it becomes the fault of the guy in the 5 speed...

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post

Are you the red car as seen in the above? I assume it was a bit of a hill since you rolled back. I thought there was a 30cm leeway allowance for rollbacks.

if you look at the pic in that link... i would be the red car... this was in STAND STILL traffic and obviously this guy followed me too close and tried to wedge his self in while in STAND STILL traffic..... i rolled back only a tiny bit and it hit him right away.... this was at joyce and vaness going northbound.... just befor vaness and i was going down joyce.... the hill is not that big but of course if you follow so close you will roll back a tiny bit...

people seriously need to learn how standard transmissions work and not follow so damn close... icbc should really put this on the test....

i guess for now i wont report it and ill just let him report it if he wants... im glad my car is only worth 1500 otherwise i would be pretty mad...
Old 03-17-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Need my Daily Fix of RS

http://img200.imageshack.us/i/leftturn.jpg/

btw just so you all know there is no left turn light as like in the picture so obviously theres no point of wedging into the left turn lane cause you will have to wait anyways.. this was just at rush hour about 6:30 pm friday night
Old 03-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Need my Daily Fix of RS

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

btw just so you all know there is no left turn light as like in the picture so obviously theres no point of wedging into the left turn lane cause you will have to wait anyways.. this was just at rush hour about 6:30 pm friday night
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
I'd say it would be the persons fault behind you. We are taught you're supposed to leave enough room to see the tire of the car in front of you. This person obviously didn't.
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #10
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Usually in a situation like this I would either:

1.) Move up a little so the car behind can get into the left turn lane
2.) Use the handbrake to avoid rolling back and hitting the car behind.

True he is probably not very bright to put his car in such a vulnerable position. Plus I always thought it's your fault for rolling back and hitting the car behind. But I would rather avoid hitting him (even if you think you are right) so you don't have to deal with ICBC.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Unsafe pass for the driver behind, reverse while unsafe for the driver who rolls back. Both are at fault if ya wanna get technical.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:06 AM   #12
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

what about 162 (1)??

"A driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the vehicles and the amount and nature of traffic on and the condition of the highway."
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 AM   #13
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

no plate = 50/50.

If you had a plate, then 100% him. Given that he ran off.

One is supposed to be a certain distance from the car in front of him/her. If not enough and gets hit by rollback, then really, usually the fault of the person behind.
BallPeenHammer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #14
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
what about 162 (1)??

"A driver of a vehicle must not cause or permit the vehicle to follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of the vehicles and the amount and nature of traffic on and the condition of the highway."
The OP says they were stopped...kinda hard to have speed if they are not moving, except him.

Caution in backing vehicle
193 The driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to move backwards into an intersection or over a crosswalk, and must not in any event or at any place cause a vehicle to move backwards unless the movement can be made in safety.

Last edited by zulutango; 03-24-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:58 PM   #15
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The OP says they were stopped...kinda hard to have speed if they are not moving, except him.

Caution in backing vehicle
193 The driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to move backwards into an intersection or over a crosswalk, and must not in any event or at any place cause a vehicle to move backwards unless the movement can be made in safety.
there was no intersection where the accident took place.... it happened where the left turn lane was beginning to form.. its kinda hard to not roll backwards on a hill in a manual transmission vehicle.. yes its easy to not roll back too far if you are experienced, i rolled back only a tiny bit... right after i let off the brake and was about to go, it hit him...
Old 03-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretzky View Post
there was no intersection where the accident took place.... it happened where the left turn lane was beginning to form.. its kinda hard to not roll backwards on a hill in a manual transmission vehicle.. yes its easy to not roll back too far if you are experienced, i rolled back only a tiny bit... right after i let off the brake and was about to go, it hit him...
Here is what the law says..."Caution in backing vehicle

So it doesn't have to be in an intersection to have the law apply.
A minimally skilled driver should not find it hard to stop a manual transmission car from rolling back on a hill takeoff. That is what the parking brake is for. Build the engine against the brake then let the brake off as you let the clutch out. Car will not slip back. If this is difficult then you need to practice.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
I thought cars had a certain amount of rollback space that if they hit someone it wouldnt be their fault?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #18
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
I thought cars had a certain amount of rollback space that if they hit someone it wouldnt be their fault?
exactly what i thought also...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #19
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Here is what the law says..."Caution in backing vehicle

So it doesn't have to be in an intersection to have the law apply.
A minimally skilled driver should not find it hard to stop a manual transmission car from rolling back on a hill takeoff. That is what the parking brake is for. Build the engine against the brake then let the brake off as you let the clutch out. Car will not slip back. If this is difficult then you need to practice.
if you think about it i wasnt the one who caused it to roll back, it was gravity... i didnt think i would roll back but i guess the hill was small enough to make it roll back a bit...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #20
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Subaru HillHolder brakes FTW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:50 PM   #21
Need to Seek Professional Help

If the guy was stopped a bit too close to you and you are on a hill, just use the e-brake next time. Preventing an accident is better than dealing with ICBC with he said she said kinda thing.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #22
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
if you think about it i wasnt the one who caused it to roll back, it was gravity... i didnt think i would roll back but i guess the hill was small enough to make it roll back a bit...
Darn that gravity!!!!! Unfair that it made my car roll back. I never thought that gravity would make things roll down hill. Maybe if I had heard of this place it would never have happened?

Old 03-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #23
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
How long you been driving a standard? You should know by now that even a seemingly flat road can still cause your car to roll back cause the pavement itself is not flat.
If you knew the guy was that close, you shoulda been quicker with your feet to prevent the rollback. I know when I drive and I see a lot of space, I'll be more casual with the clutch and let the car roll back a bit and not care, but if someone was wedged that close, I would be quicker on the clutch to prevent rollback. I'm sure this isn't the first time you're on a road that you don't think it would rollback but it did rollback.
One of the things you need to be able to do on a manual if you take your road test in manual is to be able to start on a hill without rolling back. Generally, they allow you to roll back a little, but there would be at least one time where the examiner would tell you that you have to start without any rollback and you'd have to know that he's hinting at you to use your e-brake.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:56 PM   #24
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
So some schmuck decides to wedge himself in so tightly that you don't have an inch or two to roll back and it becomes the fault of the guy in the 5 speed...
Yeah, it is the fault of the guy in the 5 speed. It is your responsibility to ensure you don't roll back if it'll cause you to hit someone. Of course,the schmuck is an idiot for doing so.

To the OP, the guy probably ran cause without witnesses, most people in your position will just turn things around and say that guy rear ended you and then he'd be 100% at fault. It's happened to a few of my friends where the car in front backed into them and when he noticed there were no witnesses, told ICBC that my friend was the one who rear ended them.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:29 AM   #25
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
How long you been driving a standard? You should know by now that even a seemingly flat road can still cause your car to roll back cause the pavement itself is not flat.
If you knew the guy was that close, you shoulda been quicker with your feet to prevent the rollback. I know when I drive and I see a lot of space, I'll be more casual with the clutch and let the car roll back a bit and not care, but if someone was wedged that close, I would be quicker on the clutch to prevent rollback. I'm sure this isn't the first time you're on a road that you don't think it would rollback but it did rollback.
One of the things you need to be able to do on a manual if you take your road test in manual is to be able to start on a hill without rolling back. Generally, they allow you to roll back a little, but there would be at least one time where the examiner would tell you that you have to start without any rollback and you'd have to know that he's hinting at you to use your e-brake.
over 5 years, but its an on and off thing, switched to an automatic for a bit and now back to standard... i was pretty darn sure it was the person following to close fault, i've been told 5 years ago when i learned stick that if someone follows you to close on a hill and my car rolls into them its their fault for following to close.. if this is not true though then i for sure am going back to automatic after this car... too many people in this city and it keeps growing each year, which means more cars and more poeple who stop too close... especialy in rush hour traffic, people try to make room for other people by stopping to close to you...