REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
RS controls my life!

cause of loud noise, tires or rims?

hey guys, just need some help. I have replica rims i believe from Sorat 3 yrs ago and they are pretty damn heavy, he gave me crappy ass diamond back tires with them and wouldn't let me refund that time. anyways when i put the rims on my vehicle, and go up to about 60kms+ the road noise gets unbearable(sounds like skytrain on steroids) i have hub centric rings for my rims and not sure if its the weight of the rims causing the sound or the crappy ass tires? any suggestions?
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
might be your bearings... and check out the reviews of the tires to see if its actually the tires causing the sound.
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Rims would only make that nose if it is touching something. Check your wheel bearings first.
Could be the tires, but then it would like off road tires and not a metal sound.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
really heavy rims could wear out wheel bearings per-maturely so thats probably your problem... One of the reasons why you shouldn't run replica rims :P
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
RS controls my life!

heres the reviews for the diamondback tr968

Dry Grip: Acceptable, not fantastic though.
Wet Grip: None, albeit these only had 6mm of tread, they may have been less dangerous when new.
Road Feedback: You turn the wheel, you see the car turn, I've had better feedback from sitting in a Sega Rally arcade cabinet.
Progressiveness: I don't actually know what this means.
Wear: Well, good from the point of view you'll be in a ditch long before they ever need replacing.
Comfort: Noisy as hell, ride was ok.
Buy again: Hahahahahahahahahahaha.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
RS controls my life!

how do i check the wheel bearings and how can i replace them or fix them? there is no sound whatsoever when i put my stock rims and snow tires back on
Old 03-17-2012, 08:33 PM   #7
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
Jack up ur car and spin the wheels. If the wheels makes a noise while spinning, it needs new bearings. If u wanna replace ur bearings, take then to a shop lol. If its the tires then don't put that set on the car if it bothers u so much
Posted via RS Mobile
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
RS controls my life!

yeah, i believe they are the tires.. other ppl have same experience with them, some say their set sounds like fighter jets on some road surfaces.. lol. One rule, never cheap out on set of tires that can save your life.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
To check wheel bearings, pull on the tires or rims and see if there is a lot of play.

Do the rims touch anything? Brake calipers? Suspension?

Could be the tires then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #10
Need to Seek Professional Help

If there's no noise with your set of winters, it's the tires. I had a set of tires that were pretty loud and sounded like a bus/skytrain. Got me wondering wtf was going on, but got used to it as time went by and left it as is.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote