REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,392 Times in 180 Posts
I always wished every intersection had those "prepare to slow down" flashing light signs. Even if they had little yellow lights on the side of the housing for the main lights that would flash when the light is about to turn yellow would be good enough.
Advertisement
GoneGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #27
I subscribe to Revscene

That might work, Zulu, but it's more expensive than adding 0.5 to the yellow phase of the light timings. You'd also see a dramatic spike in rear-end collisions as everyone slams on the brakes for the red.

Adjusting yellow phase timings has been shown to work. Why did BC not evaluate this prior to installing red light cameras?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
I am grateful grapefruit

In my daily driving around - the guys who run red lights aren't the ones who are being tailgated - they're the ones who see a yellow and just gun it to try to make it to the other side, and are sometimes caught. I see maybe a few people run full on reds (not yellows) everyday, and I have never seen one think they can't stop safely because they're being followed too closely.

If you're being followed too closely, slow down.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Adjusting yellow phase timings has been shown to work. Why did BC not evaluate this prior to installing red light cameras?[/QUOTE]

How do you know this for certain?

I agree with gars....both as a Traffic Cop and as a driving instructor...and as part of my own personal observations.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #30
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
How do you know this for certain?
Many articles with references at thenewspaper.com pointing to a reduction in violations at intersections where light timings have been adjusted.

And I had an email conversation with ICBC about an intersection near me where they installed one of their fancy new RLCs. ICBC stated that the light timings were not evaluated, nor were timing adjustments considered prior to installing the camera.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #31
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
everyday, and I have never seen one think they can't stop safely because they're being followed too closely.
How do you know what the driver is thinking at the time?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #32
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The voices told him so.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:10 AM   #33
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
How do you know what the driver is thinking at the time?
Because there was nobody tailgating him. Unless the driver was imagining a tailgater behind him. That and I watch drivers coast at 50km/h, then accelerate to 60/70 when they see a yellow light.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:43 AM   #34
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

I have run the yellow a few times because I sensed the guy behind me wouldn't stop. All the times, I would make it through before the light turned red and sure enough the car behind does proceed right after me, and more often than not, it's red before they clear. This is usually on pedistrian controlled lights or lights that are for cross traffic for smaller roads so it's a short intersection.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #35
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneGuru View Post
I always wished every intersection had those "prepare to slow down" flashing light signs. Even if they had little yellow lights on the side of the housing for the main lights that would flash when the light is about to turn yellow would be good enough.
Ive noticed those more or less disappearing in the last few years.

I always take a glance over to the cross walk to get an idea if its a stale green. Nice thing, is many lights are starting to have timers for the cross walks which is great.

If this is still in my sig, it's still avail.
falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #36
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gars View Post
In my daily driving around - the guys who run red lights aren't the ones who are being tailgated - they're the ones who are DOING the tailgating.
Fixed that for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

Here's a dashcam video found online:

Red Light Camera for douche driver! - YouTube NWS for language.

At the end, the Altima driver gets a red light camera ticket. What the officer reviewing the ticket fails to see is the 90 seconds of aggression the Altima driver has just put up with leading up to the violation.

It was likely that the Altima driver was quite intimidated by the aggressive driver and used the opportunity to get away from an escalating situation, but was ticketed instead.

How has the RLC addressed the problem of road safety here?

Old 05-27-2012, 05:53 PM   #38
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
So because the RLC is ineffective in this one situation, the whole program should be scrapped and people should be allowed to blow through reds with impunity.

Good thinking, chief

You really are a funny little man...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #39
I subscribe to Revscene

The odd thing about red light violations - most of them happen in the first .5 second after the light turns red, just like in that video. The crossing road hasn't even turned to green yet.

Since the majority of red light violations happen in the first .5 seconds of the light turning red without crossing traffic, they don't result in collisions. Yet the cameras continue to snap away generating thousands of dollars in ticket revenue, and we still have roads littered with hot-head aggressive drivers.

The pro enforcement side wants to believe that all speeders operate with an aggressive attitude like the driver in that video.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #40
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
i love the intersections with count-down walking signals, i've never been caught in a compromising situation at an intersection with these
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #41
I subscribe to Revscene

They help, but they're also a distraction. There's more important things to be looking at in an intersection.

Old 05-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #42
I am grateful grapefruit

Quote:
The odd thing about red light violations - most of them happen in the first .5 second after the light turns red, just like in that video. The crossing road hasn't even turned to green yet.

Since the majority of red light violations happen in the first .5 seconds of the light turning red without crossing traffic, they don't result in collisions. Yet the cameras continue to snap away generating thousands of dollars in ticket revenue, and we still have roads littered with hot-head aggressive drivers.

The pro enforcement side wants to believe that all speeders operate with an aggressive attitude like the driver in that video.
That's not true, a lot of collisions happen when these red light runners collide with someone turning left.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 AM   #43
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:

At the end, the Altima driver gets a red light camera ticket. What the officer reviewing the ticket fails to see is the 90 seconds of aggression the Altima driver has just put up with leading up to the violation.

It was likely that the Altima driver was quite intimidated by the aggressive driver and used the opportunity to get away from an escalating situation, but was ticketed instead.

So, having just watched that video (without sound), I saw multiple opportunities for the driver of the Altima to get out of the way of the camera car, if indeed Altima driver was feeling intimidated. As any traffic JJP will tell you, speeding up and blowing red lights is not the safe - or legal - method of disposing yourself of tail gaters and a-hole drivers behind you. There was 30 seconds at the end of the video where camera car was no longer behind the Altima, thereby giving Altima driver no excuses for running the red.

What it appears you are suggesting, is that instead of practicing safe driving habits and removing one's self from the situation once it develops in a safe and legal manner, it is acceptable to blow red lights.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:10 AM   #44

Quote:

I guess you failed to notice that the Altima driver was begging for the aggression. It's a 60km/h zone and he's driving around 40km/h for the majority of the time. He also slowed down when the dash cam car got behind him and I didn't see any aggresive driving on his part. He was looking for a way to change lanes. I think the Altima driver should have been ticketed for impeding traffic flow to go with the red light ticket. He only speeds up to the speed limit and more after the dashcam car changed lanes and seemed like he was preventing him from getting in front of him and then he speeds off to run the light.
*I watched it without sound so I don't know what the guy was saying in the car so maybe he sounded aggressive.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #45
I subscribe to Revscene

I clearly noticed the Altima driver driving slowly.

Instead of tailgating a slow driver while leaning on the horn, flashing headlights and swearing, back off and move over. You don't know why the driver was driving like that. I think the aggressive driver is far more dangerous than the slow Altima driver.

Old 05-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #46

Like I said, I watched it with no sound which is why I made that disclaimer at the end of my post indicating that.

Last edited by wing_woo; 06-01-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #47
I subscribe to Revscene

I'm looking at the new crash maps from ICBC and the two intersections that got the red light cameras did not see a reduction in crashes. In fact, they're above pre-camera numbers. Interesting.

Last edited by sebberry; 06-01-2012 at 02:03 PM.