REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Relationship & Gender Discussion

The thin line between love and hate
Mature discussion about understanding the opposite sex...

Old 03-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
Official Texas Ambassador
Thanked 5,343 Times in 1,202 Posts
[Confidential] Will I really regret not going to prom?

The following is a confidential post. If the member would like to reply to any comments please PM me

This has been recently killing me inside alot lately, I am in Grade 12, graduating. I am really not wanting to go to prom, as I don't have a date (could've worked, messed up real bad for some reason--long story ), and also I am quite shy at these public events, I don't think I am really a loner cause I hang out with a lot of people at school but at these kind of events I am really shy don't know why :/.

But anyhow, I think I will regret not going as I honestly don't have a single trace of myself graduating, I have no pics of me and with my friends or anything, REALLY. But I went to the last grad dinner, it was pretty boring unless you were high/drunk... I am really confused and would love some of your guys' input on this.

Follow Revscene on Twitter
Join Revscene on Facebook

[14-01, 13:15] GLOW older the chicken, sweeter the stirfry
Old 03-19-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
all day, everyday
Thanked 1,855 Times in 495 Posts
It's ultimately up to you if you go or not, your life is not over if you skip it, btw are you m or f?
My Feedback
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!
I advise you to just go. Prom is okay, but really it's a once in a lifetime thing. For better or worse it only comes by once. What are your other options or plans on that day? Ask yourself that while most of your friends are at the prom. If you're uncomfortable in these situations then what I would do in your situation is to go. How are you going to deal with these situations later on in life? Because it's uncomfortable it offers learning opportunities. Fail your way to success buddy.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
"Entertainment" mod.
Thanked 2,710 Times in 810 Posts
Just go. I went dateless when I graduated, just passed the time having fun with friends. I was in the same boat as you two years ago (shy at big events, but had a tight circle of friends), and I ended up extremely lonely since I went into trades straight out of high school, and barely hung out with friends who lived up their last summer before university. Now I'm pissed off with myself, dealing with slowly dying inside and putting on a fake smile to stop from telling me to cheer up. Hell, I could have died today at work, and probably wouldn't have cared. Back to the point, I never regretted going to my prom, but it just never had that unforgettable spark for me.

Prom might be your last chance to cement your connections to the friends you have. It didn't really work for me too well. Sorry for the morbid tangent I went off on, but that's honestly how I felt post-grad.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
I went to mine when i didnt really want to (because friends pressured me) and totally regret going
I was going through rough relationship at the time so i went dateless.
It was boring as hell. wansnt feeling well so went to washroom to puke (I didnt drink/get high btw) and vice principle tried to kick me out because she thought i was high/drunk.
they kept on following me and watching me entire night. My grad class wasnt close so ppl ended up peacing early too

and then i got into ubc and realized there are lots of prom-like events/banquets (and way more fun)
totally regret wasting my time and money for prom i didnt want to go to. and the stupid dress i only wore once

2 of My friends from another school went to mexico instead of prom. They said they dont regret going to prom at all.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
just go and then get hammered at the after party!!! honestly, i had no date for prom and it was actually quite boring...but goddamn, the after party is something ill remember for the rest of my life!!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
after party is all that matters. I went to DT sooooooo some will know how i feel sighh
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2012, 10:02 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith
prom is overrated.

when i went, half the people were dateless. looking back its even better that way, careless partying! hopefully you're going to an awesome afterparty with other drunk singles!

Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #9
Thanked 2,567 Times in 689 Posts
Didn't go to my own prom. Between finding a tacky colored suit/dress, raffles, limousines rentals, flowers, and all that stupid dumb shit people spend money on, it's just a retarded facade. 90% of the people you will never hear from again come June.

All of my friends spent on average $300-600 each on prom; some of the girls even more. Me and my buddy back in high school decided to skip it. Bought $50 worth of weed and spent another $50 on food, chilled in his basement playing video games and watching movies for an entire night. Tops anything prom could ever offer.

Then again, I didn't think much about high school. I wasn't super popular nor a loner, wasn't super athletic nor super intelligent. I just blended in as the average guy. So I guess, to me it was just another dumb event that people get hyped up over. Come graduation from SFU in two or three semesters, it'd be much different.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!
Thanked 1,283 Times in 419 Posts

Just go. What you have to loose?
What would you otherwise have spent the night doing anyways? Surfing the web?

This isn't the 70's anymore. I'm sure over half of your Grad class is going, without a "prom date"

Enjoy the dinner, take some pictures with your friends. With the people at your table.
And maybe you'll find a girl that you will dance with you, on the night of.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Thanked 2,567 Times in 689 Posts
P.S. You don't need to spend all that money on prom to get hammered at the afterparty. So fuck that shit!
Old 03-19-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe
just go, rip it up, take lots of pictures.. 25 years down the road you will be glad you did for the memories and good times with your friends.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.
Thanked 1,427 Times in 717 Posts
Is up to you...
What ever makes you happy.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...
once in a life time thing. you should def go. it might turn out better than you expect
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #15
Thanked 1,133 Times in 230 Posts
To be honest, it's your choice, however... I was stuck in your spot last year, but I found out the prom and grad ceremony were on the same day... So I decided to go...
I provided myself a car that I borrowed from my brother's lexus to enjoy the day... Who needs a limo? And you can wear the same suit as you wore to Artona... But it didn't turn out good as I expected... Food was meh and the theme was boring as hell. But the best thing of the day was probably the after party when somebody provided us drink...

But yeah, i didn't hang out as much after the prom, everybody were too busy for work or school...
Old 03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #16
Banned By Establishment
Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,134 Posts
By the time grad was rolling around, I was on the count down to never seeing these people again in my life. Did not attend, and did not miss it.

I wasn't super popular in high school(or junior or elementary to be blunt) and I had checked out on high school drama ages before prom came around.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #17, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
Like many people say it is your choice. As someone mentioned above its almost a last time to cement in those connections with those you do enjoy being with. Regardless if you get drunk, high, or be it completely sober I guarantee you'll have moments that night you will remember for the rest of your life. Whoever you spend prom night with, whether it be your best friends or a date itll be something you all will reminisce about down the road.

You dont need to show up all fly like G6 with a limo and change suits half way through the night etc. It can be a popularity contest but if youre not into that who cares right?
2013 Scion FR-S ---------------------Current
2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe------------SOLD
1998 Honda Civic Si Coupe------------SOLD
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme------SOLD
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
Director of RS Cares
It's up to you but IMO i'd go. Like some people's something you'll remember forever even if nothing spectacular happens. And who cares if you don't have a date? Lots of people go stag and you should go just to enjoy the night with your fellow classmates who will be graduating just like you come June. Highschool only happens once and possibly one of the greatest milestones in your life.

I had a relatively great prom with my gfs except my date stood me up halfway through..but that's okay! His date eventually turned into a gf..who then turned lesbian. So who knows what damage that guy could have cause me..LOLOLOLOL!!!!
tiptronic: getting cut off by bicycles since 2007
This post thanked by:
Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
I skipped, looking back it was one of the many regrets I have from high school.

Just have a good time with your buddies, use the opportunity to step out of your shell and try something new. Worst outcome would be you spent a load of money on prom, but I think the memories will be worth it.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
Thanked 1,967 Times in 290 Posts
I wouldn't miss it, its a once in a life time thing.... you only graduate highschool once so why not right? and besides its only for one night so why not go and just enjoy everyones company?

Originally Posted by strykn View Post
Comparing A&B with deadmau5? Really? I should fucking slap you

2007 Acura TL
2005 Acura TL....RIP
2003 Honda Accord Coupe V6....RIP
Old 03-19-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
RS controls my life!
Thanked 1,178 Times in 228 Posts
If u cant attend prom because ur really shy, youll be fucked later in life.
A LOT of grads in my year had no dates who gives a fuck. Just go with ur buddies, take some gay pics and have a good time. Once in a lifetime.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #22
Thanked 6,539 Times in 1,105 Posts
Lol prom is over rated
Having a date is over rated

You just sit there and talk like you do everyday with your friend for a few hours. It's boring. However go to after prom lol it was fun. Grad dinner is exactly the same as prom diner. If its a money issue then don't go. But still I don't see a reason to not go even if it's boring. You may miss out on thing you never know. I don't regret going even though it's boring but I would regret not going. It being a boring event isn't really an excuse cause I mean it's a once in a lifetime event. Having a date sucks because to might have to stay in the limo with her circle of friends and sit with them the whole dinner.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!
you dont need a date for prom.

Most of the people at my high school prom back in 03 were dateless and all just went as group of friends and had a fun time.

Blame tv shows and movies for brainwashing people thinking that prom is where you must attend with a date.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:49 PM   #24
Thanked 7,867 Times in 1,403 Posts
Don't feel pressured to go to prom lol I decided to get high as fuck on that day and didn't even go, its just a stupid highschool thing
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 03-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!
Thanked 4,781 Times in 891 Posts
rofl i didnt go but had a girlfriend at the time so was no biggie. i think it felt weird if i got another date or went dateless. many people went there with dates but not that much bf/gf thing so was weird. instead, i went to eat with her