REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Benefit / Downside of using Remote Starter

Benefit would be early start during cold weather, cool (able to start from a far distance), etc...

What about disadvantages? are there any?

Does it drain your car battery a lot more... etc...

Sorry for being a noobie asking this, just graduated and found a good paying job but only able to afford a civic stupid hi-cost Vancouver.

I don't know much about cars, but hoping the RS community would know

Thanks

Advertisement
i-VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,491 Times in 341 Posts
Another benefit is to auto turn on AC in the summer to cool your car
Posted via RS Mobile
AVS_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #3

Not really much disadvantage, the longer you run it the more gas you burn of course. Mine's set to 5 mins for warmup and it's programmed to turn off on its own once I press lock.
Posted via RS Mobile
koukimonst3r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

I recently installed one on my vehicle, mainly because my friend got it.

It's cool for the first week or two, remote starting when walking to the car etc, but just seems pretty pointless since need to turn the key anyways.

Imo, doesn't make much a difference for me because i'm not one of those people that let their vehicle idle to warm up

No disadvantage.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #5
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

The only disadvantage of the remote starter for my manual car is that I cannot put it in gear when I am parked on a slope. I don't trust the ebrake on any of my cars so when I park on a hill I leave it in gear.....therefore no remote start. Other than that, it's a great feature I enjoy.
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,273 Times in 1,631 Posts
OP, if you daily drive your car, 2-way alarms with auto-start will do no harm to your battery at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_hantu View Post
The only disadvantage of the remote starter for my manual car is that I cannot put it in gear when I am parked on a slope. I don't trust the ebrake on any of my cars so when I park on a hill I leave it in gear.....therefore no remote start. Other than that, it's a great feature I enjoy.
uhm... i should hope it's only a matter of trust for you and not faulty e-brakes heh. plus, you don't always have to use auto-start on vehicles that are equipped with them. compustar requires the car to be put in "reservation mode" in order to have auto-start functional. ie, the e-brake is up and car is in neutral. you can park the car normally by pressing on the brakes, turning the ignition off, and then shifting into gear if you'd rather park that way.
Spoiler!

Last edited by spoon.ek9; 03-20-2012 at 10:07 AM.
spoon.ek9 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 AM   #7

Ya I drive daily, 10 ~ 15 min to work,

15 ~ 20 minute back to home
Old 03-20-2012, 10:09 AM   #8
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It does drain your battery (like any electrical device on a car),
Gas consumption will go up (obviously), your car might not need warm up to start,
Range of those things varies.. they typically suck in concrete parking lot / buildings.
Can be complicated to install in cars with the latest security features, since a lot of them need to by pass the security transponder in the key to work. When your civic gets older and things starting to fail, it will be complicated to diagnose the problem.

I think winter tires are more useful than remote start in Vancouver weather.

Last edited by godwin; 03-20-2012 at 10:17 AM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 View Post
OP, if you daily drive your car, 2-way alarms with auto-start will do no harm to your battery at all.

uhm... i should hope it's only a matter of trust for you and not faulty e-brakes heh. plus, you don't always have to use auto-start on vehicles that are equipped with them. compustar requires the car to be put in "reservation mode" in order to have auto-start functional. ie, the e-brake is up and car is in neutral. you can park the car normally by pressing on the brakes, turning the ignition off, and then shifting into gear if you'd rather park that way.
Yes, I know how it works

More or less a trust issue, you are right. Both of my cars rolled back a few times on a minor hill with the ebrake up all the way. Happened to my friend and read a bunch of other cases on s2ki. Hahah we are cursed...luckily nothing negative happened.
vo_hantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,026 Times in 201 Posts
you guys should probably get your ebrake cable tightened or new rear brakes then. I never trust the car in gear, ive seen a friend leave his in gear and it went for a ride down a hill into a fence lol. But i obcourse still put it in gear with the ebrake on if i ever park on a hill
68 Plymouth Barracuda
03 Custom Chopper
TurboFC3S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #11
RabidMod

Thanked 1,098 Times in 407 Posts
My buddy left his handbrake down and in gear, and started his car right into the back of a truck. Wasn't cheap =p
Old 03-20-2012, 02:02 PM   #12
RabidMod

Thanked 1,098 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vo_hantu View Post
Yes, I know how it works

More or less a trust issue, you are right. Both of my cars rolled back a few times on a minor hill with the ebrake up all the way. Happened to my friend and read a bunch of other cases on s2ki. Hahah we are cursed...luckily nothing negative happened.
Actually this happened to me too. One night I was parked downhill and didn't leave it in gear but pulled the handbrake all the way up (+ a few extra clicks).

Good thing I left the wheels pointed toward the curb, because the next day my alarm went off and I found my car half a car length forward and the front right tire jammed into the curb. Maybe it's an s2k thing.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
I like my remote start .... Let's the oil circulate a bit before I start driving . Idle time usually less than 2 minutes
Posted via RS Mobile
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:39 PM   #14

I guess there is no downside for remote start every time?
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Increase fuel consumption. Modern cars don't really need a warm-up mechanically speaking. If you are wanting to warm the interior up on our oh so cold days, just remember that the interior does not warm up until the engine reaches normal operating temps and there is actual heat to divert to the interior. So you could be idling for 5 minutes before you feel anything heat inside.

IMO, nothing too cool about being able to start your car from a distance. Now if you could start it and command it to drive to you, that's cool
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #16
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
I had a Compustar installed by Sounds Good.
Wanted it only because I've never had it before and it seemed "cool"

Totally useless.

I thought it would help in the summer to cool down the car(AC on), but I had better results from driving down a couple blocks with the windows open, to air it out. Plus, your AC wont work to it's full potential if there's no airflow to your AC condenser.

If you really need to idle your car for more than a minute, your time could be managed better. Start up the car, pick out your favourite song, send a text, and light a smoke before going. Simple.

Again, Remote starters are completely useless in my opinion. However, if you don't have time to idle it for even a minute, (say, you're running a little late) then remote starters are great. I used mine quite a bit. I suck with leaving on time, so I always remote started my car a minute before leaving so that I wouldn't have to do any "Spirited driving" with a cold motor.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I use mine to defrost / defog the windows in the morning. Pretty useful.
wesamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
I bringith the lowerballerith

with some cars u can even program the new compustar pros to roll down the windows when u disarm the car/roll up the windows when u arm it. best feature ever during summer...
bensta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #19

impress girls
MK-EK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 PM   #20
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFC3S View Post
you guys should probably get your ebrake cable tightened or new rear brakes then. I never trust the car in gear, ive seen a friend leave his in gear and it went for a ride down a hill into a fence lol. But i obcourse still put it in gear with the ebrake on if i ever park on a hill
Gear then ebrake.

He put it in the wrong gear.
Over9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #21
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

i always turn on my car by accident at work.
wbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #22
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Thanked 1,502 Times in 506 Posts
I don't really like remote starters. Modern vehicles are not suppposed to be left idling for periods of time. You should start them and drive almost immediately (with a light throttle for the first minute or two). Excessive idling is a great way to build up sludge inside your engine.

As to oil circulation, your engine will only need a few seconds of running before oil pressure is up and oil is circulating properly.
dangonay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #23
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Isn't illegal to idle >30secs in Vancouver anyway?
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Lol I seen two hipster white chix tear this guy a new one for running his turbo timer while he went to the ATM.
Death2Theft is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #25
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Isn't illegal to idle >30secs in Vancouver anyway?
It's 3 minutes but yeah I got a starter installed and I never use it except for shits and giggles.

I don't know about other brands/installers but if I were to park my car in reservation mode in neutral and throw it in gear afterwards when the engine is off and I hit the starter button, the compustar will sense that it's in gear and kill it, car will move a few inches at most.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote