REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 06-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #1
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Ronin's Food Pics Thread - EdEats.com

Oh, hello there...this is an entire thread for me to post some culinary bow-chicka-wow-wowwwww from my food blog, EdEats.com

So I've split the old thread into two since that contest has been over for a long time now. Thank you so much for everything during the competition, REVscene. You can see all the old posts here: http://www.revscene.net/forums/68664...-everyone.html

=====

If Brent (owner) is there, tell him how you found the restaurant on my blog. He'd get a kick out of it. Super nice guy. He might not remember...he had like 20 other bloggers to talk to that night but he'd appreciate that the media invite got him at least one customer.

The steak is good. The coq au vin is good as well. The lasagna is okay and is large enough to feed three. Not kidding. The other one that I've heard is good is the pulled pork sandwich. Haven't tried so I don't know that last one.

In case you have no idea what I'm on about: Catch 122

Advertisement
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
...in the world.

The latest: Sidecut Modern Steak – Whistler, BC

Longest post I've written, I think. Almost 3k words, 25+ pics. Epic meal. As good as Black+Blue in Vancouver if not better.

This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
i feel like going to whistler just to eat lol
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
I think I'm gonna plan a super mini-Whistler getaway to eat this again, the first time was pure awesome and did not disappoint! I'll need to stay 1 night there to digest and drink haha ...
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Great food blog Ronin!
Surfing through your blog makes me so hungry..
Porschedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #6
...in the world.

Thanks!

Slept all afternoon after playing soccer so I'm wide awake now. Thought I'd show you guys a little preview of tomorrow's post for those of you not following on Facebook.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
If Brent (owner) is there, tell him how you found the restaurant on my blog. He'd get a kick out of it. Super nice guy. He might not remember...he had like 20 other bloggers to talk to that night but he'd appreciate that the media invite got him at least one customer.

The steak is good. The coq au vin is good as well. The lasagna is okay and is large enough to feed three. Not kidding. The other one that I've heard is good is the pulled pork sandwich. Haven't tried so I don't know that last one.

In case you have no idea what I'm on about: Catch 122
My girlfriend is the manager at Catch 122 - pulled pork sandwich is really good! I'd also recommend the cajun chicken sandwich.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meowjin View Post
no.

Just no.
Interesting rebuttal to a valid argument.

dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I don't understand why people are making such a big deal about the farmer's market thing?

It is suppose to appeal to tourist, right? Tourists to Richmond? If I was spend a week in Richmond....or even if I had a layover at YVR for 5-6 hours, I would think about going to a Farmer's Market and buying some locally produced food for a picnic, etc.

Think about...grab some great fresh items and go and watch the planes land...or have a picnic at Minoru Park...or at a table along the river in Steveston...sounds good to me.
Those things aren't as fun as getting real food in Richmond. If I'm going to watch planes or something, I'm getting takeout from HK BBQ Master or something.

The best reason to do the bread, meat and cheese thing is because damned near every farm in the French or Italian countryside is going to be making just silly amazing things for a few euros. Many bakeries and cheese shops in Paris are decades or centuries old...and more importantly, buying artisan quality things like that cost next to nothing compared to dining at a restaurant. I've done it. My friends and I probably survived an entire week off nothing but baguettes and various cured meats and sausages while we backpacked in France. You can get great stuff anywhere. Of course there will be those places that have a thousand years or whatever of tradition that have lineups and high prices but you can go into just about any bakery that isn't some kind of franchise and they'll be little family owned operations baking fresh daily or a butcher that curates a collection of a hundred different hams.

Here is the exact opposite. You can get a delicious meal at a sit down restaurant for peanuts while if you search for a "special" bread or proscuitto or brie around here...well, most cured meats and fine cheeses are imported and expensive. There aren't many fresh breadmakers apart from Cobs. For example, a loaf of bread at that Romania Country Bread place in Steveston is $11!

...the same price as a rib eye steak, a pork chop, spaghetti, veggies, soup and a drink with tax and tip at a HK style cafe.

I f'n LOVE proscuitto, crusty bread, mustard and just about any cheese but we don't live in Provence or Tuscany. To me, those things aren't interesting enough by themselves here...and by that I mean, I'll still eat them but I don't know what I'd write about.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2012, 05:32 PM   #10
...in the world.

BTW...last Thursday night: Minami Grand Opening

Not my best photos but I had like 18 sake Pimm's cups before 6:30 so F off....

Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #11
RS.net PIMP

Thanked 3,057 Times in 824 Posts
I live in the lower mainland and I avoid Richmond like the plague, shitty drivers, horrible traffic and the "honger" lifestyle just isn't my thing. I only venture into Richmond to go to YVR. All I will say is this, reading this girls blog does not make me want to visit Richmond 1 bit, but reading Ronin's blog and his photos kinda makes me want to consider venturing into Richmond despite my hatred for Richmond to try some of those restaurants he's reviewed there.
7seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #12
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7seven View Post
I live in the lower mainland and I avoid Richmond like the plague, shitty drivers, horrible traffic and the "honger" lifestyle just isn't my thing. I only venture into Richmond to go to YVR. All I will say is this, reading this girls blog does not make me want to visit Richmond 1 bit, but reading Ronin's blog and his photos kinda makes me want to consider venturing into Richmond despite my hatred for Richmond to try some of those restaurants he's reviewed there.
Thanks! LOL it's not that bad here. I find it's more parking than driving.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
...in the world.

I've been getting quite fancy pants with the food lately like expensive steaks and fois gras sushi but I'm going old school with tomorrow's post.

One of the dishes that reminds me most of my childhood. I remember always ordering minced beef on rice at Maxim's in Chinatown growing up. Sometimes I'd get the "Western style", which was more of a tomato base rather than soy and corn starch.

Also, the first of a few Seattle restaurants I've got on deck. One of the better Chinese restaurants in Seattle.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2012, 02:22 AM   #14
My bookmarks are Reddit and REVscene, in that order

Thanked 13,465 Times in 1,814 Posts
7seven, if you are a foodie, by skipping Richmond, you are seriously missing out.
However, if not for the food, what's the point?

I don't get why everybody is complaining.
It's a food journey. It's not like she's not talking about the foods and atmosphere of what she's discovering.
I expect it to it to get better.
Culverin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 11:57 AM   #15
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

a few things for certain in just a few posts. she loves takeout, picnics, riding her bike and living the hippy gregor robertson envisioned life.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #16
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
I've been getting quite fancy pants with the food lately like expensive steaks and fois gras sushi but I'm going old school with tomorrow's post.

One of the dishes that reminds me most of my childhood. I remember always ordering minced beef on rice at Maxim's in Chinatown growing up. Sometimes I'd get the "Western style", which was more of a tomato base rather than soy and corn starch.

Also, the first of a few Seattle restaurants I've got on deck. One of the better Chinese restaurants in Seattle.
minced beef on rice with the raw egg hidden in the middle
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:41 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,558 Times in 925 Posts
Ronin go hit up some good seafood places in town!
Mike Oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:54 PM   #18
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Earl View Post
Ronin go hit up some good seafood places in town!
Where? I take requests, I don't just play the hits.
Old 07-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #19
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

anywhere but crawfish king, boy do they suck

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,760 Times in 902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster TSE View Post
Anyone try the new Crawfish place on Main and Broadway?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #21
HELP ME PLS!!!

I showed the gf this 365days blog, and then i showed edeats and 604 foodtography right after ... she's like 'wtf, the difference is SO large it's not even a fair comparison'

no vested interest, no bias, she just looked at those blogs and it wasn't even close whose blogs she would rather look at.

guess which ones got bookmarked, and which one didn't!

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-05-2012, 05:14 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
I showed the gf this 365days blog, and then i showed edeats and 604 foodtography right after ... she's like 'wtf, the difference is SO large it's not even a fair comparison'

no vested interest, no bias, she just looked at those blogs and it wasn't even close whose blogs she would rather look at.

guess which ones got bookmarked, and which one didn't!

who did she like?

i like both blogs
Old 07-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #23
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,644 Times in 2,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
that shit CRAY

lol apparently they only been opened for 2-3 weeks but menu looks quite interesting

should give me a shout when you go
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster TSE View Post
Totally AGREE with you!... that place was terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
Oooh there's a new Crawfish place?... if it's anything like the Richmond store ...
I don't want to be the labrat again (what a waste of a dinner at Crawfish King Richmond), somebody else go and report back?
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:44 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsideon View Post
Totally AGREE with you!... that place was terrible.

Oooh there's a new Crawfish place?... if it's anything like the Richmond store ...
I don't want to be the labrat again (what a waste of a dinner at Crawfish King Richmond), somebody else go and report back?
where is the new one, I don't mind being a labrat, but I might just lose it if it sucks as much as crawfish king

member of the "Go To Jail For BoA Anytime Crew"
URA RENGE - Taijutsu Master of the Hidden Revscene Village

{o,o} ......ya rly!
/)__)
-"-"-
PSN: AznAlien
Grandmaster TSE is offline   Reply With Quote