REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 05-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #26
RabidMod

Thanked 1,099 Times in 407 Posts
Oh geez.. after seeing this I'm definitely getting back protection..

Advertisement
Old 05-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #27
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

i've been riding with this for the last season and never even notice it's on, so much so that i never ride without it

Dainese Wave Air Back Protector - RevZilla

also pricy, and while it is lvl 2 cert. it doesn't seem to have the full back coverage as some of the others posted here.

JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 AM   #28
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
^ beware where you buy them guys, I've seen fake ebay ones form china for like 50 bucks. so make sure you get a good one.

I'm planning to get one again but this time, i want one with a shoulder strap.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 PM   #29
RabidMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
^ beware where you buy them guys, I've seen fake ebay ones form china for like 50 bucks. so make sure you get a good one.

I'm planning to get one again but this time, i want one with a shoulder strap.
Jacket isn't enough to keep it tight?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #30
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
that's a good question and you are right, it will and it does, 90% of the time it'll be fine, but if you can get one that comes with... why not.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:37 PM   #31
RabidMod

Spoiler!

So I just picked up the A* SMX Bionic 2 back/chest protector on Friday, rode with it through the weekend.

Definitely comfortable, I don't feel too much difference between riding with this on vs having the original foam inserts in the jacket. It's not very heavy, fits pretty good.

The outer shell kinda bulges out in the middle especially with the chest piece, which is actually hollow by about a quarter inch before there's foam, and I guess it kinda acts as an air channel because I'm not really sweating much under there in warm weather in an unperforated leather jacket. There's a bit of the same going on with the back piece.

For negatives:
1) The back piece always seems to slide up a bit no matter what, and ultimately what happens is that it no longer covers my tailbone, which really sucks. It looks like the Forcefield L2 wouldn't have this issue as it looks to extend pretty far down. The shoulder straps also seem a little short, even adjusted to max, I can just barely get the back piece to go down to my tailbone. And I'm just 5'10, wearing the L/XL.

2) I don't like how the chest armor seems to bulge out excessively. While I appreciate the air pocket they built in with the outer shell, it's way thicker than it has to be and looks like a little much. Looks like the Forcefield equivalent just lies flat.

3) Maybe this is typical A*.. the fastening straps and materials used on this thing seem a little cheap. Couple of stitches came apart as I was adjusting the shoulder straps.

All in all, I guess it was an alright purchase. For the price, I would've expected just slightly better, but relative to what else is available out there, I don't think you could do much better than this.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #32
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
Sounds like typical A*.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:28 PM   #33
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,377 Times in 445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRat View Post
Spoiler!

So I just picked up the A* SMX Bionic 2 back/chest protector on Friday, rode with it through the weekend.

Definitely comfortable, I don't feel too much difference between riding with this on vs having the original foam inserts in the jacket. It's not very heavy, fits pretty good.

The outer shell kinda bulges out in the middle especially with the chest piece, which is actually hollow by about a quarter inch before there's foam, and I guess it kinda acts as an air channel because I'm not really sweating much under there in warm weather in an unperforated leather jacket. There's a bit of the same going on with the back piece.

For negatives:
1) The back piece always seems to slide up a bit no matter what, and ultimately what happens is that it no longer covers my tailbone, which really sucks. It looks like the Forcefield L2 wouldn't have this issue as it looks to extend pretty far down. The shoulder straps also seem a little short, even adjusted to max, I can just barely get the back piece to go down to my tailbone. And I'm just 5'10, wearing the L/XL.

2) I don't like how the chest armor seems to bulge out excessively. While I appreciate the air pocket they built in with the outer shell, it's way thicker than it has to be and looks like a little much. Looks like the Forcefield equivalent just lies flat.

3) Maybe this is typical A*.. the fastening straps and materials used on this thing seem a little cheap. Couple of stitches came apart as I was adjusting the shoulder straps.

All in all, I guess it was an alright purchase. For the price, I would've expected just slightly better, but relative to what else is available out there, I don't think you could do much better than this.
If there's one thing I've learned about A* is that their stuff generally sucks...despite all the racers wearing their stuff. For their high end gear, I'd rather spend the same or a little bit extra for something like Knox or Dainese. I have some el-cheapo mesh A* shorties...which are OKAY, but when I was testing out their full gauntlet gloves, it definitely left something more to be desired.

OT: Saw a guy riding with back/chest/and maybe arm protector? in t-shirt and I think shorts. Z.

I don't get these people and their undying desire for skin grafts.
Invisible sky daddies commanding people to do shit is just so beyond retarded, I feel like punching myself in the balls until I shit my computer chair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopstick View Post
4 years ago, I pulled up to burger king, and asked to get a teen burger. I realized after the 3rd time i said it, I was in the wrong fucking place.

(>___<)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_High
[19-10, 22:51] how many post do I need before I can fail TOS'D posts.
Alphamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #34
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,307 Posts
It's all about the StReET CrEd, yo.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #35
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Not sure how good a deal this is, but its on "closeout"
KNOX Contour Back Protector from SportbikeTrackGear.com
BinsentoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
i like the KNOX Aegis. need to get one

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #37
dru
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinsentoW View Post
Not sure how good a deal this is, but its on "closeout"
KNOX Contour Back Protector from SportbikeTrackGear.com
I wouldn't consider that closeout price, but it's definitely a nice piece. If anyone is interested in KNOX gear I would suggest that they check out www.redlinegear.ca

Local company and the prices are comparable to US retailers, so you can save yourself a trip to the states and support a local business! I've bought stuff off Gabe before and he's always been super helpful.
dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #38
Support Team Mod

+1 on Redlinegear I picked up my Knox protector from them

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 AM   #39
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Alpinestars Bionic
LP560 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #40
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
what do you guys think about one of these??

Alpinestars Bionic 2 Protection Jacket - RevZilla
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #41
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

my only issue with that piece is that will you wear it all the time?

I have a suit of armor like that from my DH mountain biking days, but its not easy to get in and/or out of and I knew that I wouldn't be wearing it all the time.

So i went with the easy back protector.

Also, you still need a good abrasion resistance jacket on top of that suit.

If that suit touches tarmac in a slide it's going to disintegrate in a second, or worse, it'll merge with your skin as it melts
JeffK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 AM   #42
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdoh View Post
what do you guys think about one of these??

Alpinestars Bionic 2 Protection Jacket - RevZilla

You really gonna wear that?

Like most motorcycle gear, we know we should wear it, yet it stays in the closet.

Carter Honda has the Knox stuff for cheap, Aegis 6/7/8 Plate units were under $150.
misterGinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #43
Why'd you do that for?

Get something like a vest, comes with chest and back protector. I find that it's a tighter snug fit so it feels much more comfortable than just a back piece.
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #44
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've been using the Icon back protector, it was battle tested a few years back and it saved my ass (or my back I should say)
604STIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #45
Support Team Mod

One thing I have noticed about the A* protector is that there is a lot of used ones on Craigslist.

Not a good sign.

Impreza '08
Yamaha RS Warrior MidNight 1700 '05
Aprilia Mana 850 '09

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson-
Gwilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 07:14 PM   #46
Rider

Thanked 2,081 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterGinster View Post
You really gonna wear that?

Like most motorcycle gear, we know we should wear it, yet it stays in the closet.

Carter Honda has the Knox stuff for cheap, Aegis 6/7/8 Plate units were under $150.
yes i would really wear it.

for me wearing gear is like wearing a seat belt in a car, a simple thing to save your life or serious injury
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #47
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
I happen to own all of the spine protectors in this thread. For city riding, Knox Aegis is the most comfortable, flexible, lightest and best ventilated. The downside is it's made of absolute shit materials. For hardcore/track use I would probably want to wear the Forcefield L2. It is one of the only spine protectors in the market that actually stays in position at all times.

A* stuff is way too stiff.
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:51 PM   #48
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
Quote:

for me wearing gear is like wearing a seat belt in a car, a simple thing to save your life or serious injury
i'd just get a good jacket + spine protector. that astars bionic suit thing would look hella gay if you weren't wearing anything over it lol. i've tried on tons of spine protectors and the forcefield l2 kevlar is hands down the best one. no reason to get anything else.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-25-2012, 01:34 AM   #49
Why'd you do that for?

I posted my Alpinestar a few weeks ago, nothing bad about it, I just got myself an Alpinestar vest that had both back and chest protector
rk604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:22 PM   #50
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:

Good luck with that then.

It would def not fit under my jacket or suit.
misterGinster is offline   Reply With Quote