REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

JDM Fans! I need your help!!!!!!

Hello there, My name is Steve Kang from Korea and now I am studying about J.D.M Fans for my antropology term paper.

I think you guys are the most expert about J.D.M Vehicles (specially 90's J.D.M Sport cars like skyline, silvia, mr2 and so on)

I am a big fan of J.D.M too, I owned SRed s13,14 and SW-GTE MK2 MR2. But i need some more information from other people

so I would like to answer some questions if you do not mind.

1. When do you think that Americans started import J.D.M

2. Why do you think people fall in love with J.D.M cars?

3. Who are your customers?(who buys J.D.M? male? female? young?old? rich? poor? middle class?)

4. What is so special about J.D.M cars? Do they have some features which were never offers in North America?

5. Why do people enjoy drift? do you think that drifting enhance feelings of power? control? masculinity?

6. People saying that they cannot give up on J.D.M vehicles because they have thier own unique aesthetic design and rarity. what are they?

Thank you for your help and support.

Best regards

Steve Kang.
Advertisement
redkokoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
2. The culture and history Japanese cars have, euros/american cars don't have the same vibe as Japanese cars do.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
NFS games and F&F movies played a big part for all of the above for me
Old 03-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 1,102 Times in 243 Posts
1. When do you think that Americans started import J.D.M

No idea. Pretty hard to trace; e.g. there's probably a few S15 and R34 holed up here waiting to be legally registered

2. Why do you think people fall in love with J.D.M cars?

People want what they cant have. Same reason why Japanese people import Camaros and Wranglers.

3. Who are your customers?(who buys J.D.M? male? female? young?old? rich? poor? middle class?)

Not too many of us are importers, I dont think...

4. What is so special about J.D.M cars? Do they have some features which were never offers in North America?

They are madder and tyter than the cars we have. Also they're in much better condition because of their much stricter regulations (e.g. Shakken) and overall tendency for Japanese people to be anal about details (just look at how smooth their roads are)

5. Why do people enjoy drift? do you think that drifting enhance feelings of power? control? masculinity?

GET EXCITE

also SOMEONE's gotta to deliver the tofu.

6. People saying that they cannot give up on J.D.M vehicles because they have thier own unique aesthetic design and rarity. what are they?

As mentioned above, there are many models that werent offered here. And in many cases, they can stay on the road longer because many of the mechanical parts are interchangeable with cars sold here. e.g. Toyota Sera & Paseo
Datsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
10psi aint enough...

Its more like we dont have and/or lack of specific jdm parts, esp. when manufacturers limit those rare pieces and we want whats overseas in japan.

If we dont have those exterior/interior pieces, trim make, body styling, then we will opt to get them at any cost. Ex. Usdm DC2R has the round eyes, where jdm DC2R is one piece headlight, so we tend to change the front end to match theirs., rad support, fenders, grill etc etc...

Funny thing is some jdm tuners in japan will opt to our usdm styling too...pickup some option magazines and you'll see their carshows/events and spot some similarities and differences.
HondaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
what is your thesis?

i dunno but imo you choose a pretty vague topic with no little to no substance, assuming you're writing an university level academic paper

for anthropology, i think you can choose a waaay better topic
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #7
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

You made me think of this

Last edited by Vspeed; 03-28-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Vspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
iceboy & saucywoman are my parents!

Thanked 1,770 Times in 445 Posts
1. No clue

2. I'm a domestic guy, but I've owned german, domestic, and jdm. From my experience jdm cars are cheaper to maintain and last longer then most other cars. Plus, most are pretty simple to work on

3. Not a seller also. Both male and female, both young and old? Both rich and poor? I've seen people from all classes own a jdm vehicle

4. Fuel economy and insurance rates also aftermarket power is pretty damn strong for most jdm cars

5. Because like any sport, if someone likes it, they should be able to do it. Most of the people love drifting because ur basically playing a balancing game between traction and losing control. I think drifting doesn't do anything with masculanity, or power but I do believ that it increases driver control and skill... Problem is that the people nowdays think that after a few drifts they are suddently a pro and they start drifting everywhere

6. Well some jdm cars were designed really well both and because of their popularity and diminishing quantities, people don't like letting go of them.
ts14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

corny