REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:57 PM   #401
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
TD Borderless Plan
https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/produc...borderless.jsp

Keep $3000 USD in the account and the $39 annual fee for the CC is waived.
The USD savings account required to waive the $39 annual fee costs $59.40 USD/year in fees ($4.95 USD/month) plus you're tying up $3000 USD with a 0.01% interest rate.

If you happen to have a TD All-Inclusive chequing account ($30/month; free if minimum $5000 CAD balance (0% interest) is maintained in that account), it'll drop the annual fee down to $23.40 USD/year ($1.95 USD/month). But then that'd be ~$9k CAD tied up with virtually no interest.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:49 AM   #402
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,318 Times in 5,637 Posts
anyone use the Alaska Air MC for the $99 companion flight once a year? any problems/headaches?

me and GF thinking about both getting one just so we can get 2 cheap flights a year, flying to Maui etc. it makes it worth it pretty quick if it works as well as some say it does
Old 07-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #403
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Probably not the first credit card / co- company that comes to people's mind...but wow. Not bad!

https://www.rogersbank.com/en/card_d...ido_mastercard

Quote:
-Earn 4% unlimited cash back rewards on all purchases in a foreign currency – from international websites to anywhere you travel abroad

-Plus 1.5% unlimited cash back rewards on all purchases in Canadian dollars
Quote:
-Get the credit card with no annual fee and get more of what you want from Fido.

-Get up to $50 in cash back rewards as a welcome bonus: $25 on your first purchase
Plus $25 when you register your Fido bill for pre-authorized payments.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #404
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Probably not the first credit card / co- company that comes to people's mind...but wow. Not bad!

https://www.rogersbank.com/en/card_d...ido_mastercard
The 4% cash back on foreign currency purchases excludes the 2.5% transaction fee, so effectively 1.5%, still pretty good.

It seems like the cash back can only be applied to your Fido account though? So I'm guessing it only makes sense for existing Fido customers?
(604) White 2014 BMW 335i xDrive, 05/15 - 01/17
(604) Blue 2017 BMW 240i xDrive, 01/17 - 12/20
(604) White 2021 Tesla Model 3 SR+, 12/20 - Present
ntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
The 4% cash back on foreign currency purchases excludes the 2.5% transaction fee, so effectively 1.5%, still pretty good.
If you want to compare it to cards like Amazon's VISA, etc yes it's effectively 1.5% But i think majority of the people out there don't carry a separate foreign-fee card. Some do...but probably not most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntan View Post
It seems like the cash back can only be applied to your Fido account though? So I'm guessing it only makes sense for existing Fido customers?
I'm curious about this "cash back REWARDS" too. Couldn't find much details about it.
Fido ended their FidoDollars program. So it won't be that. I'm not sure if it's gonna be
[strike]a) $$$ / cheque / apply towards your credit card statement, as with MBNA's SmartCash or similar?[/strike]
or only
b) cash back $ that can be only applied towards Fido bills.

Nvm, it's b)
Quote:
Redeem your cash back rewards towards Fido goodies like:

-a new phone
-your monthly bill
-accessories
-online purchases in fido.ca

Last edited by v_tec; 07-30-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #406

Rogers' version is 4% (starting Aug 17) and 1.75% for CDN transactions.
Slightly higher local earn rate, but a $29 annual fee after your first year.

https://rogersbank.com/en/card_detai...num_mastercard

^ that card USED to have no foreign exchange fee. But I guess they are eliminating that in flavour of 4%?
https://businessforum.rogers.com/sma...tercard-191291
Quote:
3. You won’t have to pay foreign-transaction fees

Doing business can happen when you’re anywhere in the world, but with a Rogers Platinum MasterCard, you can make purchases abroad without having to pay the up-to-2.5% foreign-transaction fee that many other credit cards charge.3 Depending on how much business you do outside of Canada, or how often you buy from home but pay in foreign currency (including online purchasing), this could add up to significant savings.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #407
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
thinking of signing up for a PC mastercard since mbna cashback is changing to visa

is there a better place to sign up with a reward than the people chasing you inside the superstore? i don't need a free bag of chocolate chip cookies

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:52 AM   #408
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
thinking of signing up for a PC mastercard since mbna cashback is changing to visa

is there a better place to sign up with a reward than the people chasing you inside the superstore? i don't need a free bag of chocolate chip cookies
You'll get a $100 gift card plus 20,000 PC points (worth $20).

I'm currently using the PC World Elite for groceries and gas (3%) and the Tangerine MC for everything else (2% on 2 selected categories, 1% everything else).
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #409
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,292 Times in 2,507 Posts
Quote:
I'm currently using the PC World Elite for groceries and gas (3%) and the Tangerine MC for everything else (2% on 2 selected categories, 1% everything else).
You know that if you have a Tangerine savings account, and setup your Tangerine CC to deposit your cash back dollars back into the Tangerine savings account, you get a 3rd category for the 2% rebate, right?

I use Tangerine myself, and for the moment, it is honestly my fav CC. I don't know why nobody else has done this yet, but because both my savings and credit card account are on Tangerine, they include an option to pay the entire amount of my CC bill on the due date, withdrawing funds from my savings account. I don't even have to look at how much I'm supposed to pay. So convenient.

And between now until Jan 31, both you and the referrer get a $50 referral bonus if you sign up using someone's Tangerine Orange Key.

*Edit: no shameless plugging.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:46 PM   #410

^ I know about it, but most of my stuff are tied to TD. So somewhat reluctant to switch.

Out of curiosity, how easy is it to transfer money from Tangerine to another bank, and vice versa? Their rates are pretty good for parking cash, so will consider opening an account if it's easily done online.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #411

I usually see a 1 day delay when moving money between my Tangerine account and my other external bank account. Occasionally (but quite rarely), it takes 2 days. Additionally, if the amount being transferred exceeds a certain limit (maybe $1k or somewhat higher?), then the money get held up and is not immediately available for use for a few days.

I just move my money by going onto their website on the PC. Supposedly, they have an Android app for it as well, but I am never a fan of doing that kind of thing on the phone.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-08-2016, 01:02 PM   #412

^ Won't work for me then. Thanks for the info though.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:38 PM   #413
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
Quote:

thank you kind sir, you are a scholar and a gentleman

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #414
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
Quote:

Yes, I love my PC World Elite Mastercard. I've earned thousands of dollars in rewards.

I buy gift cards using my World Elite. I get 3% if I buy them at Superstore. More cash back than if I used the credit card at those places. I buy 300 bucks of Home Depot gift cards and keep that amount handy. Also, Best Buy, McDonald's, Bay (can use at Home Outfitters), etc.

I've heard Tangerine was good, but I have too many cards as it is. I use Amazon.ca Visa for no USD transaction fee, plus Costco US only takes Visa. Now that Costco on both sides of the border doesn't accept American Express, I might cancel that one.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-09-2016, 01:53 AM   #415

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
Yes, I love my PC World Elite Mastercard. I've earned thousands of dollars in rewards.

I buy gift cards using my World Elite. I get 3% if I buy them at Superstore. More cash back than if I used the credit card at those places. I buy 300 bucks of Home Depot gift cards and keep that amount handy. Also, Best Buy, McDonald's, Bay (can use at Home Outfitters), etc.
Careful though. If you use a Home Depot GC to buy an item, there's no purchase protection / warranty, compared to charging it on a (/most) credit card(s).
Old 12-09-2016, 10:33 AM   #416
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post

I've heard Tangerine was good, but I have too many cards as it is. I use Amazon.ca Visa for no USD transaction fee, plus Costco US only takes Visa. Now that Costco on both sides of the border doesn't accept American Express, I might cancel that one.
That's scary- I rock the same 2 cards for the same reasons and am mulling over keeping my Amex as well lol

The only reason I'm keeping it atm is for Front Of The Line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Careful though. If you use a Home Depot GC to buy an item, there's no purchase protection / warranty, compared to charging it on a (/most) credit card(s).
Is that true? So if I buy with a HD gift card the initial warranty is void? Or do you mean the extended ones some credit cards apply when you make a purchase on them.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 02:54 PM   #417
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Does anybody have any USD credit cards they recommend?

I think spending $70 or whatever dollars on an annual fee seem like a decent trade-off for not having to worry about losing straight cash on vacation.

Are there any ones out there with a decent rewards program or anything of the sort?
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:05 PM   #418
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
Does anybody have any USD credit cards they recommend?

I think spending $70 or whatever dollars on an annual fee seem like a decent trade-off for not having to worry about losing straight cash on vacation.

Are there any ones out there with a decent rewards program or anything of the sort?
I would recommend the Amazon.ca credit card as there are no yearly fees and there is No Foreign Currency Transaction Fees, so its just the straight exchange rate.

Better than a US credit card IMO as you have to pay in US dollars. With the amazon you just pay Canadian.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...d_i=3230544011
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #419

According to Jeedee, and other things I've read on the internet, they take forever to mail a physical card.

Do you remember how long it took for you to receive yours?
Old 12-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #420

^^ I got mine fairly quickly after I applied. At the time, they also offered a $10 or $20 Amazon.ca credit as the sign up bonus too.
Old 12-13-2016, 03:21 PM   #421
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galactic_Phantom View Post
According to Jeedee, and other things I've read on the internet, they take forever to mail a physical card.

Do you remember how long it took for you to receive yours?
Ya i got it fairly quickly as well but dont expect too much with this time of year.

Also I forgot to mention I have used this card in South Korea, Las Vegas, Indonesia, Taiwan and Japan. Its way more versatile and the no foreign exchange fee is a plus.
extracrunchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:23 PM   #422

Perhaps I should call and get an ETA to see if I can get it within the next 10 days.

Are there any others out there?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:54 PM   #423
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Does anyone know if applying/canceling credit card affects one's credit score? There seems to be a lot of credit score myths out there and I'm trying to find some reliable information.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 06:28 PM   #424
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Does anyone know if applying/canceling credit card affects one's credit score? There seems to be a lot of credit score myths out there and I'm trying to find some reliable information.
Yes but the overall hit on your score is minimal at best

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:46 PM   #425
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Applying for a card means you need to borrow. Cancelling a card means you are closing a credit account, regardless of reasons. Both will affect your score but only temporary. They fell off your profile after a period.

For closing a credit account though, you need to make absolutely sure there are no balance including incoming payment on it. All banks should do this for you but make sure you tell them to. A credit balance that you don't know about is bad for your score.

Generally I would suggest having 2-3 cards max, one primary and the other ones as backup. Nobody should needs more than that. Apply for one card at a time, when you get a new one, close the old one. Applying for a bunch of cards at once can make it look like you're desperate to borrow.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote