REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM   #201
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
With any gas purchase or only superstore?
Posted via RS Mobile
At Superstore gas stations only. The machine spews out a printed coupon after your gas purchase. Awesome if you shop at Superstore, since you won't have to wait for cash back etc.
Advertisement
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #202

Thanked 1,118 Times in 530 Posts
Update on CIBC aeroplan card.

Spoiler!

Hopefully they combine it with the first class td travel.
highfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #203
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

edit: nvm

Guess i'll hit the edit with a new question:

Opinions on keeping credit card accounts open or closed. I have a few credit cards that I no longer use but have maintained a $0 balance for the last.. say, year. Should I close those lines or keep them open for whatever reason?

Last edited by chouchou; 08-14-2013 at 11:52 AM.
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #204
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,400 Times in 551 Posts
Keep your oldest if not two oldest cards. If they have annual fee, call in and ask them to change it to a no-fee one. This will keep the average age of your accounts older.

Call in and cancel the rest that you won't be touching. Been doing this for the past few years and even after repeated churning of cards, my credit rating is top notch.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #205
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
For those that applied for the
MBNA Smart Cash Platinum Plus MasterCard

What was your income like?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:53 PM   #206
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^anything $30k and above should get you approved
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #207
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Not sure if everyone knows about this deal but if you bank with TD and have a minimal balance of $5,000 in any chequeing account with them you are eligible to get a First Class Visa Infinite Travel Visa. Made the switch from my TD Rebate to it and they give you $200 Travel Dollars. You earn 3 points for every dollar spent.
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #208
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
Not sure if everyone knows about this deal but if you bank with TD and have a minimal balance of $5,000 in any chequeing account with them you are eligible to get a First Class Visa Infinite Travel Visa. Made the switch from my TD Rebate to it and they give you $200 Travel Dollars. You earn 3 points for every dollar spent.
I was debating on that card because I wanted to move away from my MBNA Cash Back card and start using a Travel Card. Long time TD customer but with the $120 fee I decided on the Capital One Aspire for $120 instead. 3 years in a row it was rated the best Travel Card in Canada. $350 signing bonus, and every year you get $100 worth of travel free essentially making the card $20 a year.

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #209
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winson604 View Post
I was debating on that card because I wanted to move away from my MBNA Cash Back card and start using a Travel Card. Long time TD customer but with the $120 fee I decided on the Capital One Aspire for $120 instead. 3 years in a row it was rated the best Travel Card in Canada. $350 signing bonus, and every year you get $100 worth of travel free essentially making the card $20 a year.
Point redemption for that card isn't the greatest though. One comment in the reviews is, (paraphrasing) "if you have $150 worth of points, you have to redeem a flight that is $150 or less. If your flight is $170, you can't redeem until the next tier". A tier being 15000 points each (I think).

With the TD 1st Class travel card, redemption is more straight forward. You can redeem your points no matter the cost of the flight ticket.
dasani604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:31 AM   #210

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasani604 View Post
Point redemption for that card isn't the greatest though. One comment in the reviews is, (paraphrasing) "if you have $150 worth of points, you have to redeem a flight that is $150 or less. If your flight is $170, you can't redeem until the next tier". A tier being 15000 points each (I think).

With the TD 1st Class travel card, redemption is more straight forward. You can redeem your points no matter the cost of the flight ticket.
Yup, I read tons of reviews on all the cards before finally deciding. If I was a super heavy spender where I can accumulate flights to Asia once a year like some people I know do I would have gone with the TD or RBC one. However, I'm a pretty avg spender so the $100 a year bonus thus in theory lowering the $120 fee to $20 won me over. Plus the fact that I don't believe the tier system will really bug me that much anyway to be perfectly honest.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #211
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyobaru View Post
I was debating on that card as well, but I opted for the Gold Elite. I'm nowhere close to being a heavy spender. On the other hand, I do travel once at least every year.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #212
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
after seeing how the Infinite avion travel points redemption system works i think i'll be switching or at least adding another card after i redeem my travel points

its a great card if your constantly travelling or renting vehicles, but for me going out of country 3-5 times a year and rarely renting a car, the travel rewards [essentially spending $100,000 for 1 round trip europe flight covered including taxes] doesnt really fly with him

ill be looking moreso into a cash back card next i think, probably push my limit up a bit on the Avion before i switch over
Old 09-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #213
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Do you think this is a good card:

https://www.americanexpress.com/canada

how much are the 30k Aeroplan miles worth?
Susann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #214
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Just got my BMO world elite card, there is a promotion on for 30000 reward points for getting the card, then 5000 for your first four months above 1000 bucks (which is easy if you put everything on the card). They also waived my first years fee ($150).
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:21 PM   #215

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Starting to look for a card that is either travel or cashback.

Getting overwhelmed with the amount of cards out there.

When I read "card gives 30,000 points" I don't really know how much value 30,000 points is for that particular CC.

Read AX makes you purchase the flight and pay it off with points? Not sure if this is correct. I'll have to look through some more cards tomorrow.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:24 PM   #216
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

I collect aeroplan with all my cards

I just booked a trip to Korea business class there and back during Christmas.

125k points but u have to also pay around $650 in tax

Hope that kinda helps with how much points are worth
Posted via RS Mobile
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #217
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I recommend either SPG amex or chase marriott visa for Canadians. Points for flights are not worth it anymore IMO, too many restrictions and dumb surcharges/fees/taxes

Chase marriott visa has no foreign transaction fee, a plus if you go down to the usa.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #218

Never had a CC from another source other then my banking institution(TD).
What are some things I should know. IE statements/web login and customer service
Old 09-30-2013, 09:47 AM   #219
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Never had a CC from another source other then my banking institution(TD).
What are some things I should know. IE statements/web login and customer service
It's basically the same

My account is with td. I have a td first class and a cibc aeroplan and Amex aeroplan. They mail you the statements, you mail back the money
Posted via RS Mobile
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #220

Quote:
Starting to look for a card that is either travel or cashback.

Getting overwhelmed with the amount of cards out there.

When I read "card gives 30,000 points" I don't really know how much value 30,000 points is for that particular CC.

Read AX makes you purchase the flight and pay it off with points? Not sure if this is correct. I'll have to look through some more cards tomorrow.
I was originally using MBNA Cash back card and it was still one of the better Cashback cards with no annual fees out there even though they lowered the % on return earlier this year. However, I found that getting a $50 check every few months wasn't satisfying to me so I recently switched to a Travel Card with annual fee.

I started my research here, Rewards Canada | Canada's Top Travel Rewards Credit Cards for 2013

Yes, this is only 1 site and their opinion on what's good and what's not. However, I only used it as a starting reference point then individually researched each card from there. Hope it helps.

Side note, been with TD my entire life and if there's one thing I hate about their credit cards is you don't see the transaction online until it actually goes through. Where as every other card I've had, MBNA, Capital One etc as soon as you use it, you'll see it as a pending transaction. All and all it ain't the end of the world by any means but it just always kind of bugged me a little bit.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #221

Got the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card yesterday. Preapproved so really only took a few minutes.
Fees were waived.
Might not be the best card but we'll see what it gives over time.
Convenience of it being TD was pretty big closer for me.
Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM   #222

Quote:
Got the TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite Card yesterday. Preapproved so really only took a few minutes.
Fees were waived.
Might not be the best card but we'll see what it gives over time.
Convenience of it being TD was pretty big closer for me.
It isn't a bad choice and if you got the fee waived it makes it a way better choice. The only reason I didn't get it was because I couldn't get the fee waived. Happy travels!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #223
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
TD infinite essentially the same as RBC infinite?

Just got an email from RBC saying they now include free trip cancellation insurance on any flight paid on your card
Posted via RS Mobile
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #224
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
i think the TD infinite annual fee is waived if as long as you have the Select Service Account (minimum $5000 balance). its pretty sweet, they even give you bank drafts and a security deposit box for free.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #225

^Yup that is correct

And those account fees are waived with $5000+ in it along with the CC fee.