REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #301
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Do those of you with AMEX cards have a hard time using them here in Vancouver?
Nope. My Costco AMEX pays for itself (the Costco fee) with the card used mainly for gas and Costco (it's my dedicated gas card).

As for restaurants- I find that quite a number of non-Asian restaurants take it. Any bigger chain restaurant takes it as well (think White Spot, Cactus, McDonalds, Tim Hortons).

For all else, I have a PC World MC. But basically my AMEX has only been denied at smaller stores and Asian restaurants.
Advertisement
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:36 PM   #302
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

has anyone ever used the concierge service that comes with the higher tier cards? i've read that they can often secure reservations in hard to book restaurants.
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #303
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Amex arrived today
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:39 PM   #304

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
has anyone ever used the concierge service that comes with the higher tier cards? i've read that they can often secure reservations in hard to book restaurants.
They can. But which kind of restaurants did you had in mind?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #305
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Got my Amex because of this thread.

Just got my 25,000 bonus points as well and converted them all to Aeroplan with a phone call. The customer support is on another level compared to the other CC companies. Everytime I call CIBC I feel like I'm suspected of theft or something with the 6000 verification questions they ask.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:21 PM   #306
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
Most Asian places that take credit card usually decline amex because their service charges are much more than visa/mastercard

But your regular non-asian businesses, big box furniture stores, and gas stations, usually will take AMEX.

Someone's gotta pay for those crazy benefits. And it isn't you directly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Nope. My Costco AMEX pays for itself (the Costco fee) with the card used mainly for gas and Costco (it's my dedicated gas card).

As for restaurants- I find that quite a number of non-Asian restaurants take it. Any bigger chain restaurant takes it as well (think White Spot, Cactus, McDonalds, Tim Hortons).

For all else, I have a PC World MC. But basically my AMEX has only been denied at smaller stores and Asian restaurants.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:53 PM   #307
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
The question has been answered many times in this thread already in the past few pages. I am surprised by the number of stores/restaurants that accept AMEX. and it seems as though its on an increase too now! I use it for as many things as I can to rack up points.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:00 PM   #308
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

for the true earning amex card can you just buy a one year costco membership then cancel it?
JayEch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #309

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEch View Post
for the true earning amex card can you just buy a one year costco membership then cancel it?
I don't think so. It's linked to your Costco card.

Why not get a regular AMEX at that point? With the True Earning your "yearly fee" is the Costco membership, which ends up getting paid via using the AMEX. With other cards you're paying the yearly fee, but if your rewards far outweigh the cost then it's worth it.

To give a bit of perspective, I use my AMEX on about $120-$150 gas per month. I spend about $60 at Costco every month for various heavily-used groceries. I eat out on average maybe $50 a month on the card.

Over the year, I received a rebate over $160. With a membership at ~$110, I pocketed the rest. Just by using it for your dedicated gas card will allow you to pay off the membership cost. The cool thing is that you can cash out the rebate, so it can be a cash back card if you want.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM   #310

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEch View Post
Personally, I don't see any value in the Costco Amex (for my needs)

You get 3% dining / 2% gas / 1% everything else.

But if you read the fine print....the 1% is tiered at:
- 0.25% for the first $1000
- 0.50% for the next $2000
- 1.00% on any amount over $3000

2% gas is capped at $3000. Then becomes 1% afterwards.
With two cars in the family, I'm easily over $250/month in gas purchases.

I rather get a normal Amex Gold Rewards or MANY other credit cards out there (ie. MBNA)
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #311
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
Speaking of American Express/Costco card............ I just opened up my bill and there's this ad asking people to enter a contest. "How did you spend your rebate money?" To share your story, visit americanexpress.ca/myrebate.

For fun, I will send this in (been wanting to do this for a while)............. "I used my rebate cash to get Hookers and Blow." I would be surprised if I won. LOLOLOLOLOL.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 03-04-2014 at 04:38 AM.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2014, 09:51 AM   #312
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_tec View Post
Personally, I don't see any value in the Costco Amex (for my needs)

You get 3% dining / 2% gas / 1% everything else.

But if you read the fine print....the 1% is tiered at:
- 0.25% for the first $1000
- 0.50% for the next $2000
- 1.00% on any amount over $3000

2% gas is capped at $3000. Then becomes 1% afterwards.
With two cars in the family, I'm easily over $250/month in gas purchases.

I rather get a normal Amex Gold Rewards or MANY other credit cards out there (ie. MBNA)
The only reason I would get it would be so that I can use a credit card instead of cash/debit at Costco.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:10 AM   #313

^Which is the main reason why I picked it up. Why pay cash/debit when I can get something in return in the form of cash-back via the AMEX.

I just happen to use it as a gas/restaurant card because of the cash back percentages.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKam View Post
The only reason I would get it would be so that I can use a credit card instead of cash/debit at Costco.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
^Which is the main reason why I picked it up. Why pay cash/debit when I can get something in return in the form of cash-back via the AMEX.

I just happen to use it as a gas/restaurant card because of the cash back percentages.
...and you could just use any Amex card for that. No need to be specifically Costco's Amex.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 PM   #315

And based on my needs, I chose the Costco AMEX. If it doesn't work for you, that's good for you.

Are there any other AMEX cards that do not have annual fees? I haven't done enough research on the matter, but until one is brought to my attention why would I pay for annual fees on another AMEX on top of the Costco membership cost (which I treat as my card's annual cost).
This post thanked by:
Old 03-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #316
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,513 Times in 4,905 Posts
I shop at Costco. Plain and simple. The only time I use the Amex.

I get the bill, I pay it right away.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #317
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

wondering if anybody here has successfully applied for both Amex Gold Reward and AeroplanPlus Gold

seems like a good deal to get 50000 aeroplan points (or 25000 aeroplan and 25000 for the flight reward program of your choice)
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:43 PM   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdizzle View Post
wondering if anybody here has successfully applied for both Amex Gold Reward and AeroplanPlus Gold

seems like a good deal to get 50000 aeroplan points (or 25000 aeroplan and 25000 for the flight reward program of your choice)
No problem at all, as long as you're able to meet the $500 (x2) in first 3 months.

And if you're referred by a friend (or stranger), you actually get 30,000 Aeroplan Miles...so total of 55k miles for the two cards, first year free.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 02:18 PM   #319
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
No problem at all, as long as you're able to meet the $500 (x2) in first 3 months.

And if you're referred by a friend (or stranger), you actually get 30,000 Aeroplan Miles...so total of 55k miles for the two cards, first year free.

thanks!
i just applied for the aeroplan plus, and with your advice in mind i will probably apply for the gold rewards in a few months i think
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 02:39 PM   #320
Old School RS

Thanked 3,947 Times in 1,202 Posts
I've been working on this guide on my blog:
FLY BUSINESS CLASS TO EUROPE FOR $299

(Disclaimer, it has two referral links in it - one is mine and one is roast puff's)

Shows you you can generate 90,000AP upfront for a net cost of $299 over 2 years.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #321

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Shows you you can generate 90,000AP upfront for a net cost of $299 over 2 years.
I rather sign up for Plat MR for 60,000 welcome bonus -> Self-refer for 15,000 referral -> Gold MR for 25,000 welcome bonus.

Total of 100,000 MR, with the same '$299 cost' as your example.

This then gives you the possibility to transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan...or if it ever happens, 1:1.5 to BA for 150,000 Avios.

But I don't currently have the income level for the Plat card(s)
This post thanked by:
Old 04-11-2014, 04:12 PM   #322
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,734 Times in 697 Posts
^ Have you even tried for the platinum card? I'm sure if you put your income as $45,000 and your credit is decent you'll get approved.

Also, from the many pages i've read on redflagdeals, signing up for a credit card reduces your credit score anywhere from 4-10 points, but these get absorbed after about a year. So the guys on RFD recommend not to sign up for any credit card within two years of applying for credit or a mortgage. Just food for thought.

I just signed up for both the gold rewards and aeroplan cards. I'm thinking about the Platinum card as well. Those lounge benefits are huge!
PeanutButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:40 PM   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanutButter View Post
^ Have you even tried for the platinum card? I'm sure if you put your income as $45,000 and your credit is decent you'll get approved.
To be precise - I actually have no income right now as a student. I'm surprise they even approved my Gold card. Might give the Plat a try towards the end of the year.

Quote:
I just signed up for both the gold rewards and aeroplan cards. I'm thinking about the Platinum card as well. Those lounge benefits are huge!
Sorry, you meant the lounge benefits WERE huge?
They are mostly gone now...
Old 04-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #324
Old School RS

Quote:

I rather sign up for Plat MR for 60,000 welcome bonus -> Self-refer for 15,000 referral -> Gold MR for 25,000 welcome bonus.

Total of 100,000 MR, with the same '$299 cost' as your example.

This then gives you the possibility to transfer 1:1 to Aeroplan...or if it ever happens, 1:1.5 to BA for 150,000 Avios.

But I don't currently have the income level for the Plat card(s)
Just FYI, there are lots of people who have gotten screwed self-referring. I managed to self-refer from my AeroPlat to my AeroGold, but Flyertalk is FULL of people who didnt get all the points. It's a lot easier / less heatscore to do the AeroGold vs the Gold MR which is why I recommended it as it makes it a bit easier for first timers, but your point is well made and theoretically possible.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:46 PM   #325
Old School RS

Quote:
I actually just received my platinum card this afternoon. The benefits portfolio is very impressive - the hotel chain perks are significant and the companion ticket can be a nice feature if you can use it.