REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!
 
toyobaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 953
Thanked 239 Times in 76 Posts
Good Credit Card to apply for?

I am in the midst of applying for a credit card probably with BMO to grab myself some airmiles. I am looking for some recommendations or if anyone has seen any deals while signing up (Ie: get 500 airmiles with signing up now etc.
Advertisement
__________________
2013 Scion FR-S ---------------------Current
2006 Honda Civic Si Coupe------------SOLD
1998 Honda Civic Si Coupe------------SOLD
1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme------SOLD
toyobaru is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #2
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,700
Thanked 685 Times in 270 Posts
if ur a student, you can get the bmo SPC credit card for free. Gives you cash rebates too but its little. And discounts at stores, however the SPC card has an expiry date, they only help you pay for it once. You have to buy the spc card if you want it again.
Recon604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday
 
Nvasion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: vancouver
Posts: 5,400
Thanked 341 Times in 153 Posts
i got the rbc mastercard 2% cash back and the rbc avion platnium for my travelling
Nvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Isaac's Hardstyle Sessions
 
Drow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,755
Thanked 1,773 Times in 539 Posts
Bmo spc mastercard good for students. If u wanna get one let me know!
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
WHAT? NO FOOD?
 
Santofu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 1,133 Times in 230 Posts
Can someone educate me how does getting airmiles help you to get flight tickets?

I'm in debate to pick rebate rewards or travel cc
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS
 
dachinesedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,038
Thanked 1,065 Times in 382 Posts
MBNA SmartCash Platinum Plus

3% cash back for groceries and gas, 1% for everything else

they send you a cheque for $50 everytime you hit that cash back amount
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
Love...Inspiration...Drea ms...
 
GLOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,637
Thanked 4,574 Times in 1,825 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
MBNA SmartCash Platinum Plus

3% cash back for groceries and gas, 1% for everything else

they send you a cheque for $50 everytime you hit that cash back amount
using this right now and it's great.
it's the current advert on RS at the top too
first 6 months I believe it's 5% & 3% but I could be wrong
__________________
Feedback
http://www.revscene.net/forums/showthread.php?t=611711

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
Quote:
[04-06, 11:34]radiomanI'm doing happy hour with bj#3 today
[07-04, 10:27]radiomani need just the tip
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
WHAT? NO FOOD?
 
Santofu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 1,133 Times in 230 Posts
For people who have TD and thinking of applying for MBNA since TD Bank bought it out...
TD Canada Trust - TD Bank Group completes MBNA asset purchase
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS
 
ScizzMoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 604
Posts: 2,423
Thanked 1,006 Times in 220 Posts
Visa Black Card - buhuh!
__________________
Scizz's a living legend and I tell you why, everybody wanna be Scizz an Scizz still alive
ScizzMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yaletown
Posts: 494
Thanked 93 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
Can someone educate me how does getting airmiles help you to get flight tickets?

I'm in debate to pick rebate rewards or travel cc
travel cards just get you points towards getting a free flight. I have the RBC Avion Infinite card and for every $1 i spend i get 1 point. What I've been doing is transferring my points to BA since it requires less redemption points for a flight, but there's less flexibility. My last trip from YVR to HKG, HKG to JFK to YVR was all on points (including business class from HKG to JFK and all I had to pay was $300ish for tax.

Each card has its own benefit, which one is the best for you, I have no clue.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #11
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,220
Thanked 2,284 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
using this right now and it's great.
it's the current advert on RS at the top too
first 6 months I believe it's 5% & 3% but I could be wrong
Yep, first 6 months it's 5% & 3%.

Also, the card has no annual fee. I don't think there is any other cash back card that has no annual fee.
__________________
Do Not Put Aftershave on Your Balls. -604CEFIRO
Looks like I'm gonna have some hot sex again tonight...OOPS i got the 6 pack. that wont last me the night, I better go back and get the 24 pack! -Turbo E
kinda off topic but obama is a dilf - miss_crayon
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #12
WHAT? NO FOOD?
 
Santofu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 1,133 Times in 230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
travel cards just get you points towards getting a free flight. I have the RBC Avion Infinite card and for every $1 i spend i get 1 point. What I've been doing is transferring my points to BA since it requires less redemption points for a flight, but there's less flexibility. My last trip from YVR to HKG, HKG to JFK to YVR was all on points (including business class from HKG to JFK and all I had to pay was $300ish for tax.

Each card has its own benefit, which one is the best for you, I have no clue.
I'm just curious... How many points did you need in order to get a trip? I'm assuming it requires a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Yep, first 6 months it's 5% & 3%.

Also, the card has no annual fee. I don't think there is any other cash back card that has no annual fee.
Actually most of the banks does offer cash back card that has no annual fees...
However RBC is probably the 2nd top for having 2% cash back for grocery and 1% for others.
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS
 
hotjoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey
Posts: 12,641
Thanked 643 Times in 347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
MBNA SmartCash Platinum Plus

3% cash back for groceries and gas, 1% for everything else

they send you a cheque for $50 everytime you hit that cash back amount
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
using this right now and it's great.
it's the current advert on RS at the top too
first 6 months I believe it's 5% & 3% but I could be wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Yep, first 6 months it's 5% & 3%.

Also, the card has no annual fee. I don't think there is any other cash back card that has no annual fee.
+1 for the MBNA smartcash. I've had mine for rougly over a year and love it. 5% for gas and groceries for the first 6 months. 3% after that, everything else is 1%. If you sign up through greatcanadianrebates.com, you'll get $60 from the site once you're approved. That's what I did. A nice little incentive to sign up
hotjoint is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 10:32 AM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,175
Thanked 760 Times in 346 Posts
Keep in mind a lot of those "points" travel have expiry dates to it. I know AsiaMiles have it for sure. I believe Aeroplan points do too.

I'm using TD First Class. 3 pts for every $1. Every 10,000 points is $50 to spend towards travelling. Never expires. And you can apply the money to expedia or any travel agency that's cheap. It does have annual fee of $120. But if you open a select service chqing account and have $5000 in there. ALL fees will be waived. Free Chqing, free CC, free safe deposit box, free us visa, free money drafts.
highfive is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yaletown
Posts: 494
Thanked 93 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
I'm just curious... How many points did you need in order to get a trip? I'm assuming it requires a lot...


The actual flight was booked via British Airway's Avios program which offers 1.5, which was about 112000 avios points give or take which include business class for 1 leg of the trip. So actual AvioN points it cost me 74000 points.

Sounds like a lot of points but I literally throw everything on my credit card, plus I'm able to expense things for work using my credit card.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #16
WHAT? NO FOOD?
 
Santofu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,406
Thanked 1,133 Times in 230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
The actual flight was booked via British Airway's Avios program which offers 1.5, which was about 112000 avios points give or take which include business class for 1 leg of the trip. So actual AvioN points it cost me 74000 points.

Sounds like a lot of points but I literally throw everything on my credit card, plus I'm able to expense things for work using my credit card.
Wow that's a lot... Does it expire like highfive mentioned? How long did it take you to reach that amount? And I'm wondering how much do you spent...
Santofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #17
My homepage has been set to RS
 
dachinesedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Richmond
Posts: 2,038
Thanked 1,065 Times in 382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
For people who have TD and thinking of applying for MBNA since TD Bank bought it out...
TD Canada Trust - TD Bank Group completes MBNA asset purchase
cant wait till they integrate the card information into EasyWeb, i hate having to go to MBNA's site to look at the balance

imo travel reward cards are a waste of money if you dont spend alot (students, normal consumers), but if you own a business and buy inventory with the card, cha-ching $$
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #18
I subscribe to Revscene
 
rageguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,936
Thanked 412 Times in 181 Posts
I've had the MBNA Smart Cash for 3 years now. Never looked back. No annual fees. 3%/1% cash back. This wins. I now have the World version of the card. It's even better with lots of features. Price protection, concierge, etc.
__________________
Feedback
rageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yaletown
Posts: 494
Thanked 93 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
Wow that's a lot... Does it expire like highfive mentioned? How long did it take you to reach that amount? And I'm wondering how much do you spent...
I'll be honest, I have no clue when/if my avion points expire. I always book flights frequently so I never really thought about that.

For the 74000 point I think it probably took me just over a year? Keep in mind I expense a LOT of things for work so it goes on the card and I get a check back for it. Out of that I'd say 30,000 points is from work, and the rest are just everyday spending, bills, etc... I also own Canucks Season tickets so every year it's an automatic $8+k for the season + $4500ish for playoffs, so right there it's an easy 12500 points right there. What helps is putting on large items like insurance, Internet/cable bills, large dinners etc on your card instead of paying cash.

For me getting flights are more important then cash back or other types of rewards, I think you just have to decide what's more important to you.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #20
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001
 
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,220
Thanked 2,284 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santofu View Post
Actually most of the banks does offer cash back card that has no annual fees...
However RBC is probably the 2nd top for having 2% cash back for grocery and 1% for others.
The unique thing (I could be wrong) about the MBNA card is that they will mail you a check for $50, and you can do whatever you want with that money.

RBC's cash back card, for example, will only give you your "cash" back in the form of a credit on your cc statement.
__________________
Do Not Put Aftershave on Your Balls. -604CEFIRO
Looks like I'm gonna have some hot sex again tonight...OOPS i got the 6 pack. that wont last me the night, I better go back and get the 24 pack! -Turbo E
kinda off topic but obama is a dilf - miss_crayon
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
MiX iT Up!
 
tiger_handheld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: vancouver
Posts: 7,629
Thanked 1,891 Times in 763 Posts
RBC Rewards

cash , travel , merchandise
$1 = 1point
$39 annual fee

when you need to travel , ugprade to avion ($120 fee - less what you paid for original) to get better point redemption rates and you can downgrade after 8 mo's

can redeem 36,000 points for RBC line of credit "credit" - thats $300 free cash provided you have a RBC LOC.
__________________

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.


Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:53 PM   #22
My homepage has been set to RS
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,175
Thanked 760 Times in 346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blum2001 View Post
I'll be honest, I have no clue when/if my avion points expire. I always book flights frequently so I never really thought about that.

For the 74000 point I think it probably took me just over a year? Keep in mind I expense a LOT of things for work so it goes on the card and I get a check back for it. Out of that I'd say 30,000 points is from work, and the rest are just everyday spending, bills, etc... I also own Canucks Season tickets so every year it's an automatic $8+k for the season + $4500ish for playoffs, so right there it's an easy 12500 points right there. What helps is putting on large items like insurance, Internet/cable bills, large dinners etc on your card instead of paying cash.

For me getting flights are more important then cash back or other types of rewards, I think you just have to decide what's more important to you.
I don't believe Avion points expire. Only airlines reward points do I think.

Like you have to do comparisons of what type of travel you prefer.

Using blum's figure of 74,000 points. I assume it costs you $74,000 to get it. I don't know where did you go?

Compare it to the TD first class, that would be equivalent to $1,100.00 ($74,000 x 3 points / 10,000 x $50) for you to spend on travel, hotel, car rentals.

So it really depends...I personally notice my TD one is better suited for domestic traveling like Canada or the US. It's not that as competitive if I were to travel to Hong Kong and i have to use Asia Miles.

Speaking of Asia Miles, you have to do your booking really early or their "asia miles" seats are sold out.
highfive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
I STILL don't get it
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Yaletown
Posts: 494
Thanked 93 Times in 50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
I don't believe Avion points expire. Only airlines reward points do I think.

Like you have to do comparisons of what type of travel you prefer.

Using blum's figure of 74,000 points. I assume it costs you $74,000 to get it. I don't know where did you go?

Compare it to the TD first class, that would be equivalent to $1,100.00 ($74,000 x 3 points / 10,000 x $50) for you to spend on travel, hotel, car rentals.

So it really depends...I personally notice my TD one is better suited for domestic traveling like Canada or the US. It's not that as competitive if I were to travel to Hong Kong and i have to use Asia Miles.

Speaking of Asia Miles, you have to do your booking really early or their "asia miles" seats are sold out.
yep, approx $74000. My trip I went from YVR to HKG Economy, HKG to JFK Business Class, JFK to YVR Economy. This is only possible with the RBC to BA conversion program. It used to be a lot better before but now it costs me more Avion points to convert to BA (BA is a partner with Cathay).


Quote:
Originally Posted by highfive View Post
Speaking of Asia Miles, you have to do your booking really early or their "asia miles" seats are sold out.
I book through British Airways Executive Club. The seats are limited and so are the dates, my last trip I got lucky I was able to book within 1 week. BA Exec club has gone to crap since changing to Avios. Last year I booked a trip to HK which cost me 50,000 BA points which is 33334 RBC Avion points. With the Avios, it increased to something like 50,000 RBC Avion points for me to use BA and it seems harder to find flights these days.

Last edited by blum2001; 03-29-2012 at 01:23 PM.
blum2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon
 
Nightwalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Van Isle
Posts: 7,653
Thanked 443 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dachinesedude View Post
MBNA SmartCash Platinum Plus

3% cash back for groceries and gas, 1% for everything else

they send you a cheque for $50 everytime you hit that cash back amount
I'm using this too, plus got cash for joining by applying through Great Canadian Rebates - Cash Back Rebates & Online Coupons

Never carrying a balance and receiving checks in the mail from my credit card company feels REAL good
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
who would ban me? lol. Look at my post count.
Nightwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:50 PM   #25
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled
 
StaxBundlez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,721
Thanked 2,116 Times in 382 Posts
__________________
Quote:
If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true; to be skeptical of those in authority, then we're up for grabs..
-Carl Sagan
StaxBundlez is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net