REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Roller hockey gurus!! Need help with wheel/chassis question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665604-roller-hockey-gurus-need-help-wheel-chassis-question.html)

mj_39 03-29-2012 07:29 PM

Roller hockey gurus!! Need help with wheel/chassis question

Hey Guys

My bro went away for the weekend and has asked me purchase some inline wheels for him as the season is upcoming. Im used to using HILO chassis so im a little confused when it comes to 3 different wheel size set ups.

He is using the TUUK one up Chassis which I believe uses 72,72,80,78mm wheels

My question is, can the 78mm rear wheel be replaced with a 80mm? Reason I ask is I can't seem to find a 78mm wheel.

He's about 200lbs so I was leaning toward a 76A hardness in the Labeda Gripper or Millennium?

Thanks everyone

mj_39 03-30-2012 07:56 AM

Any suggestions or advice?

SumAznGuy 03-30-2012 08:30 AM

What is his skating level?
I'm surprised you can't find a 78 mm wheel.

mj_39 03-30-2012 08:46 AM

Looked on hockeymonkey and inlinewarehouse they don't seem to have that size. He's a decent skater

SumAznGuy 03-30-2012 09:11 AM

My old CCM's were the HiLo chassis too. I'm not too sure if there is any issues with an 80 mm rear wheel.

originalhypa 03-30-2012 09:18 AM

I was at the hockey shop the other day and they have 78mm wheels.
They have a ton of selection of other sizes too. I only know this because I went in to get new wheels for my boots the other day too.

Really though, the only way you'll know if you can fit an 80mm is to try on the skates. Again, check out the hockey shop as the dudes there are really good when it comes to inline stuff.

mj_39 03-30-2012 09:37 AM

Hey guys thanks for the help!! Talked to the guys at inlinewarehouse just now, stated a 80mm wheel out back will be fine. I also managed to find a review from a guy running the same chassis with a 80mm wheel out back.

Any recomondations on which wheels? Im between the Labeda Gripper and Labeda Gripper Millennium

UFO 04-04-2012 02:50 PM

If you think about it 80mm to 78mm wheel is only 1mm difference in radius, so for the back wheels they will be fine. The sketchy wheel clearance wise for most skates is the 2nd front wheel. Bauer had to switch to 78mm rear wheel because Mission enforced their 72mm/80mm hi-lo chassis patent. Then shortly after Mission got bought out by Bauer, lol.

I'm 175lbs pretty hard on wheels and use 76a on front and 78a on rear for durability without giving up too much grip. At 200lbs, I would go no softer than 76 or even 78a. This depends on the surface you play on too. Sportcourt is nicer to wheels, bare/painted concrete chews up wheels pretty quick. As for wheel models, I've been using grippers for the past 2 seasons and they seem to work well enough for me. I've had OEM milleniums that cracked and started falling apart after 5-6 sessions.