REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Roller hockey gurus!! Need help with wheel/chassis question

Hey Guys

My bro went away for the weekend and has asked me purchase some inline wheels for him as the season is upcoming. Im used to using HILO chassis so im a little confused when it comes to 3 different wheel size set ups.

He is using the TUUK one up Chassis which I believe uses 72,72,80,78mm wheels

My question is, can the 78mm rear wheel be replaced with a 80mm? Reason I ask is I can't seem to find a 78mm wheel.

He's about 200lbs so I was leaning toward a 76A hardness in the Labeda Gripper or Millennium?

Thanks everyone
Advertisement
mj_39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:56 AM   #2

Any suggestions or advice?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
What is his skating level?
I'm surprised you can't find a 78 mm wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 AM   #4

Looked on hockeymonkey and inlinewarehouse they don't seem to have that size. He's a decent skater
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
My old CCM's were the HiLo chassis too. I'm not too sure if there is any issues with an 80 mm rear wheel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
I was at the hockey shop the other day and they have 78mm wheels.
They have a ton of selection of other sizes too. I only know this because I went in to get new wheels for my boots the other day too.

Really though, the only way you'll know if you can fit an 80mm is to try on the skates. Again, check out the hockey shop as the dudes there are really good when it comes to inline stuff.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Hey guys thanks for the help!! Talked to the guys at inlinewarehouse just now, stated a 80mm wheel out back will be fine. I also managed to find a review from a guy running the same chassis with a 80mm wheel out back.

Any recomondations on which wheels? Im between the Labeda Gripper and Labeda Gripper Millennium
Old 04-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

If you think about it 80mm to 78mm wheel is only 1mm difference in radius, so for the back wheels they will be fine. The sketchy wheel clearance wise for most skates is the 2nd front wheel. Bauer had to switch to 78mm rear wheel because Mission enforced their 72mm/80mm hi-lo chassis patent. Then shortly after Mission got bought out by Bauer, lol.

I'm 175lbs pretty hard on wheels and use 76a on front and 78a on rear for durability without giving up too much grip. At 200lbs, I would go no softer than 76 or even 78a. This depends on the surface you play on too. Sportcourt is nicer to wheels, bare/painted concrete chews up wheels pretty quick. As for wheel models, I've been using grippers for the past 2 seasons and they seem to work well enough for me. I've had OEM milleniums that cracked and started falling apart after 5-6 sessions.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote