REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Entertainment Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/entertainment-forum_27/)
-   -   Hunger Games (https://www.revscene.net/forums/665645-hunger-games.html)

Tim Budong 03-30-2012 11:33 AM

Hunger Games

I havent seen it, but i've been reading a few articles on how it ripped off Battle Royale

Why the 'The Hunger Games's Snub of 'Battle Royale' Matters | Hyphen magazine - Asian American arts, culture, and politics

thots?

Mr.Ping 03-30-2012 11:42 AM

Hunger Game it's PG version RIP OFF....

even though the author of HG swear she never even heard of Battle Royale.....

murd0c 03-30-2012 11:44 AM

I saw it and it's a great movie, so good I actually just got back from Costco and got the 3 books for $34.99. Yes it's a rip off in a way but it has a great story line and it's nice to have a movie come out with a new type of story line thats not a remake of something.

Trust me so watch it you won't be dissapointed.

CA_FTW 03-30-2012 11:50 AM

I never read the books..
and i wasnt super impressed with the movie..

The character Development wasnt great.. the story line had lots of holes.

second one might help things a bit..

overall it was entertaining enough, but not worth the midnight showing i went to.. I expected more..

TheNewGirl 03-30-2012 01:08 PM

I highly recommend the books they're a perfect summer read though if you're a fast reader you'll whip through them in like no time (I read the entire series in... 8 days maybe?).

The movie actually is one of the more faithful adaptations I've seen from book to movie, one of the problems though is the book is very strict first person so you spend the whole time in Kat's head, which means you get to know her thoughts and motives VERY well (which you don't get from the movie as it lacks her internal monologue) but you don't get to know the inner thoughts of any of the other characters because Kat, until the end of the series is often wrong about people's motives (This is why they are thin on char development in the movies too, cause it's really not spelled out in the books in fact the series ends with a lot of things still not clear because Kat never discovers the truth about everything).

The series is kind of clever though in a very subtle way in that is sucks you in with this premise about a Teen Running Man but ultimately it's about something very very different and actually rather relevant today.

It's a neat little trick that lets you come to your own conclusions about things with out being overly complicated. A few friends that I've gotten to read it loved it and it's interesting that we all had very, very different reactions to the series because of the way it leaves some things very open to the reader's projections on it. We all saw different characters differently and such.

StylinRed 03-30-2012 05:15 PM

posted about it in the other thread/site but anyway :) ill just cut n paste here

movie sucked.... they didnt make use of that long running time at all imo.....

you didn't even really feel the plight of being in the games in the least bit

and the chemistry/acting between Lawrence and Hutcherson is laughable

with that running time i felt they could have gotten a little more in-depth into all aspects of the story.. the other characters, the training facility, the games, the arena for the games, the districts but they didn't... everything was just glossed over

hell i bet someone watching Running Man for the first time would still find it better than Hunger Games even though it looks ancient

i wouldnt even dare anyone to compare it to Battle Royale i'd just feel embarrassed for Hunger Games...

Seems like this film is just built on hype and the love of teens who read the book; i havent read the book mind you but i cant help but feel that the film likely butchered/glossed over it since it has such a following

what a shame had great potential imo

edit: oh and the cgi sucked

FlyNvBaller 03-30-2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StylinRed (Post 7869739)
posted about it in the other thread/site but anyway :) ill just cut n paste here

movie sucked.... they didnt make use of that long running time at all imo.....

you didn't even really feel the plight of being in the games in the least bit

and the chemistry/acting between Lawrence and Hutcherson is laughable

with that running time i felt they could have gotten a little more in-depth into all aspects of the story.. the other characters, the training facility, the games, the arena for the games, the districts but they didn't... everything was just glossed over

hell i bet someone watching Running Man for the first time would still find it better than Hunger Games even though it looks ancient

i wouldnt even dare anyone to compare it to Battle Royale i'd just feel embarrassed for Hunger Games...

Seems like this film is just built on hype and the love of teens who read the book; i havent read the book mind you but i cant help but feel that the film likely butchered/glossed over it since it has such a following

what a shame had great potential imo

edit: oh and the cgi sucked

agreed. if you've watched battle royale before this, then you probably won't like this movie.
Didn't feel like their was any Epic deaths. All the deaths were so forgettable. I believe the movie producers were held back with what they could show to the audience with it being PG. when i was in the movies pretty much EVERYONE was 12 years old.

pinn3r 03-30-2012 06:28 PM

Just another trend ...

Mr.HappySilp 03-30-2012 11:27 PM

Books were a lot better. I was expecting more from the movies like more character development. Some parts from the movies didn't make sense at all (I read the book so I know but if you haven't you will have no clue.).

Overall move is worth maybe 5 to 6/10.

Oleophobic 03-31-2012 12:11 AM

I've seen Battle Royale and it was fuckin amazing

Been hearing about Hunger Games and now I'm intrigued...

dachinesedude 03-31-2012 01:40 AM

people who have watched battle royale will not like it

people who have not watched battle royale will love it

battle royale was waaaay better btw, i give this a 7/10

Noir 03-31-2012 02:19 AM

lol. I just heard the premise and immediately thought.... "Battle Royale"?

StylinRed 03-31-2012 03:00 AM

you could enjoy a movie like this even after watching battle royale its just that hunger games in itself is a bad movie

oh & when i watched it they showed a trailer for twilight and wow..... i thought it was one of those parody movies making fun of twilight lol

Tegra_Devil 03-31-2012 09:43 AM

i thought it was a decent movie, no qualms from me

palepilsenpin0y 04-01-2012 03:34 AM

I came in with high expectations and I walked out with a 8 other friends who thought the film was amazing. To be fair, NONE of them have seen Battle Royale.

I was literally the only one who practically hated the fucking thing. To give it some credit, the 1st half was actually pretty decent. Great build-up and everything, but once the actual game started, I was absolutely disappointed as hell.

Movie was incredibly cheesy, predictable, and utter trash after the 1st half. I heard the film was an accurate portrayal of the original novel, except the book was even cheesier.

Battle Royale >>>>>> The Hunger Games, hands down.

I wouldn't rate THG any higher than a 6/10. To me, it was just a lovey-dovey, PG-13 BR RIP-OFF.

rsx 04-01-2012 11:52 AM

Always heard of Battle Royale, never got around to watching it. I'll watch BR before Hunger Games.

imgettingthere 04-02-2012 03:35 PM

pretty gay movie, doesnt have any plot. And what kind of name is katnpiss.
Also if its a hunger game why not just stock up on food an bulk? instead of turning like this

This is just my rant, Not offending

Obsideon 04-03-2012 12:29 PM

Haha I went to watch this yesterday with no knowledge of what I was watching ... and right away I thought this was eerily similar to Battle Royale except BR is 100x better! ...

The chemistry between the 2 main actors was so bad ...

Spoiler!

AzNightmare 04-09-2012 12:36 AM

I thought THG were okay... but no where close to BR.
The PG rating must have restricted what the director could have done, but in the end,
the target audience seemed to have been young teens anyway.

The build up to the Hunger Game was pretty decent. It was a bit dragged out,
but I thought it would have been alright as long as it was a lengthy build up to something more epic.
But the actual Hunger Game was a big let down.

Spoiler!

Not enough character development as some said, not enough development on the districts either.
It's almost like you couldn't really care who died. The characters dying were almost like their introduction,
because prior to their death scene, they never had any on-screen attention anyway.

Someone earlier said the book made it like that because it was based on Katniss' POV.
If that's the case, then maybe good storytelling for a novel, but it totally loses any good
effect when translated in a movie.

Entertainment wise, the movie was alright, but I was highly disappointed at the potential.