REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 04-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,907 Times in 754 Posts
What's the deal with date stamps on tires?

is it really true that they somewhat 'expire' 6 years after the date stamp?

i.e. the date stamp on one of my tires is 1508...so that means, the tire was manufactured during the 15th week of 2008.

however..when someone buys a used car with original tires, those tires can be super old...

how paranoid are you? is it just a marketing gimmick? or does a tire truly
start to disentegrate after the 6 years?
Advertisement
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
There are factors other than age and tread depth.

If the rubber is old and hard, the outer layer will be cracking and provide terrible traction. I've seen 2 year old tires that are hard and cracked that I wouldn't feel comfortable driving on.

My gf's sister asked me to sell her winter tires a few years ago and they still had 11/32nds of tread left. When I felt the rubber, they were hard a rocks. I checked the date code and they were made pre-2000. I couldn't sell them in good conscience.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Most manufacturers recommend changing tires after 7 years (due to rubber losing its elasticity). If I recall, the government says a tire "must" be replaced after 10 years, no mater the condition/wear.
Some manufacturers offers "unlimited warranties" on their tires (Pirelli's P4 has an Unlimited year/135 000km warranty), but I have no idea what happens if you have such tire and they start cracking.
Long story short, a quality tire can last more than 6 years, but the rubber lose its elasticity and it's not recommended to keep em more than 7 years.
Zergon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Why take a chance when the tires get old?

Aged Tires: A Driving Hazard? | Video - ABC News