REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Glowbal Restaurant Group owner and former server plan legal action over tips

I saw this article posted on the Georgia Straight today and it caught my attention. While I have never worked in the food and hospitality industry (McDonald's doesn't count) I was hoping some of you who do could possibly shed some light on industry practices for a better understanding. *Edit:* The article is vauge. It does not mention whether the tips are distributed evenly later on (i.e. pay day etc.) so I'm not sure what the problem is. It's safe for us to make assumptions.

Source: Glowbal Restaurant Group owner and former server plan legal action over tips | Vancouver, Canada | Straight.com

TD;DR Version: Former employee who worked @ Black + Blue is angry at the Glowbal Group over tips and owner of the Glowbal is now suing former employee and the CBC for false accusations (slander?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle da Silva, April 4, 2012
During CBC’s The National on April 2, reporter Kathy Tomlinson investigated how tips are distributed at Glowbal Group restaurants after a former employee filed a complaint with B.C.’s Employment Standards Branch claiming she was required to hand over tips to “the house” after shifts. Now, Glowbal Restaurant Group owner Emad Yacoub has fired back, stating that he will take legal action.

“I have been left with no option but to take legal action against the CBC and Ms. Tomlinson to redeem my reputation and that of my business," Yacoub stated in a news release April 3. "It is curious and unfortunate that Ms. Tomlinson and the CBC chose to air a story based on the false accusations of former employees. It is equally baffling as to why Ms. Tomlinson chose to focus on The Glowbal Group when the practice of pooling gratuities is an accepted standard in the hospitality sector in Canada."

The former Glowbal Group employee, Charlotte Zesati, who worked at Glowbal’s steakhouse Black + Blue (1032 Alberni Street) for a week and a half in November 2011, told the Straight during a phone interview on April 3 that she is in the process of obtaining a lawyer and is hoping to go after a class-action lawsuit.

“I can’t disclose who the lawyer is at this time, but we’re looking at hopefully trying to get more voices out from people who worked for this man because you know, I understand that people are scared,” Zesati, who is a single mother, said. “I wasn’t there long enough to get to know the waiters, but I do believe that there’s got to be someone there that will come out.”

Zesati, who moved from California to Vancouver prior to working at Black + Blue, considers herself a career server.

“I’ve been in this industry for a long time. I’ve been a GM. I’ve been a California realtor. I work really hard to make the money that I make, and it’s taken me a long time, where I can consistently sell a certain amount and maintain a very high tip out because I do care for people,” she said.

While Zesati is currently unemployed, she says that she has had job interviews at other Vancouver restaurants, but declined serving positions because the restaurants had similar tipping policies.

“There’s got to be a good honest guy out there somewhere,” she said. “If not, I’m actually considering going into law school at this point.”

Glowbal Restaurant Group owns seven restaurants in Vancouver, including Glowbal Grill & Satay Bar, Coast, Sanafir, Italian Kitchen, Trattoria, Society, and Black + Blue.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank

Last edited by bcrdukes; 04-04-2012 at 04:37 PM.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

This article is probably more clear:
Servers made to pay 'house charge' from tips - British Columbia - CBC News

Bolding the parts that might be of use.

Spoiler!

The CRA just hit jackpot. Imagine all the undeclared incomes for the owners, businesses, and servers. And worst of all, the owner claims he has records to prove it

Last edited by jackmeister; 04-04-2012 at 04:53 PM.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
^
LOL! CRA was probably drooling over this article.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,345 Times in 973 Posts
i doubt they will do anything, chasing after 1 person for 1 million is nothing to them.

anyhoo, great read.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

My buddy's family is involved with the Glowbal Group (Emad's nephew) and several of us have worked at numerous of the restaurants ...

From what I know, I can safely presume that this case is either a misrepresentation or an outlier.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
^as someone who spent 7 years working in nightclub, there is a "house" tip at most establishments that involve tips.

It usually goes to the managers.

It's real scumbag IMO. Glad I don't work in that industry anymore.

Don't believe anything the owner is saying. I know the ins and outs. Glasses get ordered by the case and come in big brown boxes shipped from china.

The tip money outright lines there pockets tax free.

ps, when I did my time as a busser, we got tipped out 1% of sales SPLIT 3 WAYS. The manager would also recieve a 1 percent tip. So if bartenders sold 30k~ we would get 100 dollars each and the manager would get 300.

which is garbage.

Bartenders would walk out with anywhere from 300-1000 a night (depending on the night) and bussers would walk out with 60-100 a night. I don't see how it's fair. Fucked up industry.
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,649 Posts
^ lol thats pretty shitty for bussers..

when i was bussing and porting at stone temple and Tonic i was walking out with a minimum of $150 a night plus my wage
Old 04-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
how could you take tips to cover expenses like broken glassware?
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

shiiieet that messed up for sure! If we give the server straight up cash couldn't they just pocket it and not tell their manager? Either way I would think its a lose lose situation. Manager would ask where your tips at foo? then server would say didn't make any...I would assume the server would get fired for not making any "tips"...
Nabatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
^ lol thats pretty shitty for bussers..

when i was bussing and porting at stone temple and Tonic i was walking out with a minimum of $150 a night plus my wage
eh, I made my dues. When i worked in the bathroom, I was making the most money in the club.

When I decided to get out, I was promised that I would "move up fast", created a lot of drama, the hours were brutal and just wasn't making enough anymore. My sleep was all fucked up and I gained weight from eatting so late at night.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
how could you take tips to cover expenses like broken glassware?
excactly. Nightclub logic. Thats why I'm glad I don't work for one anymore.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #12
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Glowbal runs an amazing chain of high end restaurants. The servers all make fantastic money because of Emad and Shannon's hard work. Each individual has the right to work where they want. This is just some individual that has too much bark !!!
On the other hand though, if the tax implications are true, then there is some issues that might have huge repercussions.
luckystrikeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
nice try Emad..
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajinHurricane View Post
excactly. Nightclub logic. Thats why I'm glad I don't work for one anymore.

I don't know which nightclub you worked at but I got to know a bartender so well that he would pour me rows and rows of shots and he would always charge me a flat rate and/or I would just "tip" him $100 for it which is a lot cheaper than paying the establishment...

Ever do that?
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Thanked 1,286 Times in 133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckystrikeed View Post
Glowbal runs an amazing chain of high end restaurants. The servers all make fantastic money because of Emad and Shannon's hard work. Each individual has the right to work where they want. This is just some individual that has too much bark !!!
On the other hand though, if the tax implications are true, then there is some issues that might have huge repercussions.
K.Dubz is offline   Reply With Quote