REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Minimize tax asset sale

Anyone know how to minimize capital gains tax on an asset sale?
Buyer absolutely refuses to do share sale. This is a commercial property.

I rather buy a new porsche for the amount taxed!

Just asking RS before I go to a tax advisor.
Advertisement
no_clue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

I could tell you why they don't want to do a share sale, since they would be on the hook for everything on your company (bad debts etc etc) usually no one would take on that stuff.

think of it this way, they're gonna have to pay property transfer tax (2% less a few thousand)

you might be able to do something with the Capital Cost Allowance but the accountant/tax advisor will figure that part out for you. Not much you could do since its not a residential place.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #3
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
normally share sales price is less than asset sales price (taking out the effect of taking/not taking the liabilities) on the basis that the seller will pay greater tax - so that's how you offset the tax, negotiate better

this is a very simplified point - there is WAY more to it than that, but you get my point
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

sell it for less

lol...jokes aside, hard to give you an answer without any details.
I assume this is a land + building held under corporation? Questions such as "Have you been taking CCA on the building?", "Have you been operating your business in the property", etc will affect your tax & options

TBH, capital gain is already taxed at a very favourable rate. If you have been taking CCA from the building, you might get dinged even more tax than just the capital gain amount. (i.e. recapture)

If the buyer absolutely refuses to buy the corporation as a whole, there is really not much tax saving option.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote