REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Active Renewable Gas Marketer (scam?)

Has anyone dealt with this company before?

Basically they're gas marketers, companies that supply gas independent of FortisBC (correct me if I'm wrong)

Basically how they make money is lock people into contract with a fixed rate by saying that FortisBC changes rate quarterly, so that it is better to have a fixed rate then go with FortisBC.

I should've done more research before I signed the contract, but the guy kept pushing saying it's the last day (yesterday). I looked up the info today and realize that I've signed on a 5 year plan @ 8.99 / GJ. I looked at FortisBC and found that the rate is 2.997 / GJ. Unless FortisBC is lying about their rate's history.

Fortunately, I have 10 days to cancel the contract. Before I call in to undo my stupidity, is there anything I'm missing or misunderstand? FortisBC's rate has been decreasing over the years, so I can't imagine why I would sign up with Active Renewable

edit:
Their selling point
Quote:
Potential for cost savings when prices rise above your fixed rate, as you will continue to pay the rate you locked in with natural gas supplier.
O shit, just did a quick search and there are few articles about Active Renewable and it's alleged fraudulent activity. I'm such an idiot for listening to them.
Advertisement

Last edited by trd2343; 04-05-2012 at 04:28 PM.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

natural gas has to increase more than 200% before you would start making up the loss of paying 3x the price of natural gas now
MisterMu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
these guys were going around a couple years ago and a number of people signed up since they wanted the set rate since they were afraid of the raise of the NG gas prices. Well the last couple years the cost of NG went down and this company it making huge coin since they tied people up into set contracts and really theres no way to get out.

This is a legal scam in a way so stay far far away.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 05:06 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Cancel the contract right now. The only reason you want to sign this contract is that you believe nat gas price is going to rise significantly like 2x or 3x in the near term. But the situation regarding nat gas is that there is so much of this stuffs out there with new technology in shale drilling. Most of the big utilities use coal to generate power it will takes them years or even decades before they will make the switch to nat gas. And not all of them will be able to make the switch.

So far we haven't seen any significant energy policy change coming from the U.S. or Canadian government with regards to having a grand plan utilizing this ultra-low price nat gas, so there is no catalyst in the next few years for a big jump in nat gas prices. The only way for nat gas is down or at best go sideways in which case you are still saving huge money by not signing the contract.
Carl Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
^ agree. Cancel right now, as in, this moment....... don't take a piss, crack open a beer, or check what's in the fridge. Do not pass go. Call right now.......... and thank your lucky stars RS came to your rescue.
MG1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanks guys, I've already cancelled it

I was already kind of reluctant to sign it initially, cause I'm kind of grown up now and I want to do some research before I sign on for anything. But the guy made it sound like I have to sign it right away or else I won't get it, so I signed it.

Thanks again.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM   #7
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,579 Times in 4,296 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
Thanks guys, I've already cancelled it

I was already kind of reluctant to sign it initially, cause I'm kind of grown up now and I want to do some research before I sign on for anything. But the guy made it sound like I have to sign it right away or else I won't get it, so I signed it.

Thanks again.
they do that because they work on commission and it's their selling tactic. It's all good tho better finding out now then getting screwed later. Just think in life if it seems like a good deal it won't be cause everyone is always trying to make a buck
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
$_$
I subscribe to Revscene

I use to do this as a door to door salesman for a private gas company. Basically they buy their own reserves of natural gas in huge quantities (at a discounted rate) then supplies it through Terasen Gas pipeline. They are betting that the price of natural gas will increase long term. I wouldn't necessarily call it a scam - it's sort of like betting on the stock market, you are either betting it's going to go up or going to go down. Having said that, I quit the job because I wasn't comfortable with what I did. I have no idea whether natural gas was going to go up or down, but our job was to sell these contracts to home-owners locking them in for 3-5 years anyways. Signing up these deals wasn't easy, that's why the commission for each signup was $100 a pop. Some of the suave guys that I was working with easily signed 4-5 people a day, and the hard working ones worked 5-6 days a week. Door to door is brutal, and I didn't like the concept of forcing people to sign a 3-5 year contract without having done their research. They will feel exactly like how you feel right now, which is why ultimately I decided to quit even though the money was good.
$_$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
I don't get it

all said and done Fortis sells you gas at around 8 dollars per GJ + carbon tax and HST

this company should be the model for other companies like hydro. keep an eye on your gas bill see how their prices go up and recently down with the market. its gone down a lot...

they pretty much sell you gas on open market rates that they buy it for and charge you minimal for delivery. Awsome company, why would you wanna change..

as for getting out of that contract... its simple. cancel your service with the scammers and get someone else to get a account in their name to that residence with Fortis. your contract is for YOU TO BUY GAS FROM THEM if YOUR BUYING GAS.. if you don't have a need for Natural gas why would you have to buy gas at all...
RouRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #10
The Brown Reason

Thanked 5,863 Times in 1,525 Posts
I worked for these guys back in summer of 2009 ..

fuckers had me walking around in 30 degree heat in the british properties ... you think those hills are steep in a car? try walking them wearing thick dark denim jeans and a dress shirt/dress shoes because those assholes told you that this would be 'just an interview' .. next thing I know I'm getting a speech about how I can move up in the company so quick and be making $100,000+ in a matter of months. Pyramid scheme and I was too dumb to tell them to screw off.

Anyways, those guys make $100 commission for getting you to sign and they all look shady as hell/are all chain smokers. I would never sign up with them just because of the way they get new employees/treat their employees... I hated it.
BrRsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Does FortisBC get a split from the gas marketers? Afterall the gas marketers are using FortisBC's pipelines to deliver gas to the households.
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 AM   #12
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reamemiya View Post
But the guy made it sound like I have to sign it right away or else I won't get it, so I signed it.

For future reference, if anyone every says this to you it's at that time you should know something isn't right.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
PRINCESS

cant remember which gas company but iirc i watched cbc news about this "legal scam" years back

some dumbass sales dude forged signature when this lady said no. He did some background research of the house, found out her husband's name and then forged contract or whatever. Funny thing is her husband died couple of weeks before shit happened (killed in i think afgan war) and sales dude got fucked over LOL
and then cbc talked about how ppl are most likely to lose money because like others said, their value went down or gotta increase by whatever % to benefit from this thing

Ive had these sales guys at my door too. These guys are freaking jokes. Talks like a 12yr old and looked skeychy as hell
MeowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:03 AM   #14
This title intentionally left blank MOD

The amusing thing is the "FortisBC" or in the past "Terasen" cover sheet of their little portfolio to make it look like they're actually working for FortisBC and aren't a third party independent.

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem.
Alatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:08 AM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Yup, Hi we're here from Terasen just making sure you're getting our lowest rate. Do you have a bill handy I can check it for you. They take your bill if you're dumb enough to show it to them, write down your info and sign you up.

So many dumb people fell for this, I loved calling them out and having them back peddle and try and bullshit their way out of being crooks.

The first tipoff, if you're from Terasen or Fortis how come you don't have access to my bill and know what rate I'm getting? haha

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
I'm better than you.

Thanked 3,087 Times in 658 Posts
i remember opening the door, them telling me their bullshit and closing the door on them mid sentence.

'14 Toyota Yaris [Work Daily]
'89 Toyota Cressida MX83 [Collector's status]
'15 Honda Ruckus [Summer cruiser]
'96 Toyota Hilux Surf KZN185 [Weekend Warrior]

Buy & Sell Ratings!
b0unce. [?] is offline   Reply With Quote