REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Espresso Machines (https://www.revscene.net/forums/666129-espresso-machines.html)

ForbiddenX 04-07-2012 06:44 PM

Espresso Machines

I've started to appreciate coffee a lot more and I'm looking at getting my own espresso machine to make my own cappuccino's and espressos.

Does anyone have any experience with different espresso machines? I've seen some go for about $50-$300 but I'm not looking to spend too much. Probably around the lower to mid price range.

The two I've considered are these ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-ECM160-Espresso-Machine/dp/B000U6BSI2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333846714&sr=8-3
or

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333852948&sr=8-1
Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Thanks!

bcrdukes 04-07-2012 07:24 PM

I have a Rancilio Silvia at home and have been using mine happily for almost 2 years.

I had something similar to the ones you posted above maybe 8 years ago and let's just say I should have ponied up and bought myself at least a Silvia. Pony up a few hundred more and you got yourself a very nice machine with little to no disappointment.

Araaadi 04-07-2012 07:27 PM

i wouldn't go for the mr coffee. Ingeneral its a lower end brand. Have you looked into nespresso machines? When i worked at an appliance store, they were a hot seller because you pop a capsule in and you have a great espresso. They're many flavor options and they also is a milk frother you could buy.

GGnoRE 04-07-2012 08:12 PM

Nespresso machines are super convenient but you are limited in the selection of flavors (although there are quite a bit).

ForbiddenX 04-07-2012 09:02 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I don't have the money to spend on something like the Silvia espresso machines. They seem like really great machines just don't think I can afford that right now. Maybe when I have my own kitchen :P

As for the Nespresso machines do I always need to use their coffee or would I be able to use my own beans?

bcedhk 04-07-2012 09:07 PM

Creativecookware is a good pace to purchase.

I recommend the saeco aroma. Is a nice machine and has room to modify if you want to be more serious about coffee. Out of factory it has a pressurized portafilter so you don't need to worry too much about grind size or tamping.

z3german 04-07-2012 10:38 PM

if you want to experiment and take the risk!
ZPM Espresso
looks really cool to me!

found at I'm Intrigued by This Cheap Home Espresso Machine That Might Not Suck

bcrdukes 04-08-2012 12:14 AM

Despite my earlier post, here is my suggestion to the OP:

I speak from personal experience. I have gone through my trials and tribulations, made my mistakes, and have slowly come to find the medium where I get to taste the sweet nectars of my hard work and research to obtain that oh-so-Godly shot of espresso every morning I wake up.

Before you put money towards an espresso machine, save up and get THE BEST grinder you can afford. And a lot of the times, this will cost more than your machine. Because if you can't obtain the right grind, no machine, not even a $15,000 Synesso will get you a good shot.

godwin 04-08-2012 01:00 AM

Nespresso machines compressors sucks.. not to mention the whole concept (cheap disposable machines + containers) is horrible for the environment.

Wait till Starbucks have their clearance sales... I think theirs are rebadged Saecos? or used to be.

ae101 04-08-2012 07:17 AM

my dads a big coffee guy & likes to mix is own beans so we had a mr coffee machine & luckily it serve us well for a good 10yrs or so (unlike 90% of the ppl that bought it)

i dun remember what brand we have right since im in china right now but we bought it at walmart (if i remember) it was on sale for less then a $100

op do u mix beans by any chance

bcedhk 04-08-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcrdukes (Post 7879001)
Despite my earlier post, here is my suggestion to the OP:

I speak from personal experience. I have gone through my trials and tribulations, made my mistakes, and have slowly come to find the medium where I get to taste the sweet nectars of my hard work and research to obtain that oh-so-Godly shot of espresso every morning I wake up.

Before you put money towards an espresso machine, save up and get THE BEST grinder you can afford. And a lot of the times, this will cost more than your machine. Because if you can't obtain the right grind, no machine, not even a $15,000 Synesso will get you a good shot.

+1 on the grinder. Especially if you plan to use a non-pressurized portafilter.

IMO the best grinder for the money is a ranchillio Rocky. You have 50 settings so you can grind for pour overs/drip to super fine for espresso.

Volvoman 04-08-2012 09:14 AM

I have a Nespresso Le Cube at home. Pods are about 66 cents each, you can buy them online at the Nespresso store, or at the Nespresso boutique downtown at The Bay.

The Cube makes really great espresso, the crema is surprisingly good from a pod based machine. There are 2 settings on the machine, Espresso and Lungo. Lungo is a long shot and there are Lungo pods you can buy specifically for this setting. When I want to drink an Americano, I'll use a Lungo pod. If I just want coffee, I'll use my french press.

haulin oats 04-08-2012 09:54 AM

I have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar Professional, and a Grinta Grinder. I spent a pretty decent amount on both pieces, but after approx 6 months of not buying Starbucks, it's paid for itself. I purchased it at ECM (ECM Espresso Coffee Machines Co.). Great combo!

TekDragon 04-08-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 7879035)
Nespresso machines compressors sucks.. not to mention the whole concept (cheap disposable machines + containers) is horrible for the environment.

Wait till Starbucks have their clearance sales... I think theirs are rebadged Saecos? or used to be.

Just to throw it out there, with single serve brewers... You're looking at $51 a pound for coffee. A lot more than what you'd get buying and grinding your own over the life of the machine/grinder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/di...ce-costly.html

That being said, I unfortunately don't have any good recommendations for you. If you were looking for regular coffee, I'd say go with a french press. That won't work for you as the grind is too fine for espresso.

suprasian 04-11-2012 09:19 PM

Pretty happy with my machine, Saeco Odea Giro Plus Automatic Espresso Machine. Designed by BMW, on sale at Costco..

Costco - Saeco Odea Giro Plus Automatic Espresso Machine

ilvtofu 04-12-2012 01:38 PM

I got one of these for free through air miles
Café Roma Espresso Machine | Breville

pulls shots fine, as long as they're not too long. Pretty good crema. When the pump is running it causes a pretty obnoxious vibration. I only use it for espresso/americanos, the steam function is garbage IMO, or maybe I just don't know how to use it.

ddr 04-30-2012 02:41 PM

got this as per bcrdukes suggested:

Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill | Grinder | Avenue 18 - Fine Tea Merchant

love it and still going strong. pretty consistent. i thought my machine was absolute crap (could be a lot better haha) until i used fresher beans and also right after i grind them. you can pair this with something like an aeropress if you want to start really cheap. i'll be honest with you though, if you work at 8-9am you won't want to grind anything. but any electric grinder under $500 seem to give mediocre to bad results