REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Food & Fine Dining

Food & Fine Dining Hungry? Come on down to Wings - Fun, Food and Drinks.
Top Restaurants in town? Got a good recipe to share? Share culinary info or post up photos of your delicious dish. #revsceneVLS

Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Espresso Machines

I've started to appreciate coffee a lot more and I'm looking at getting my own espresso machine to make my own cappuccino's and espressos.

Does anyone have any experience with different espresso machines? I've seen some go for about $50-$300 but I'm not looking to spend too much. Probably around the lower to mid price range.

The two I've considered are these ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-ECM160-Espresso-Machine/dp/B000U6BSI2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1333846714&sr=8-3
or

http://www.amazon.com/DeLonghi-EC155-Espresso-Cappuccino-Maker/dp/B000F49XXG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333852948&sr=8-1
Is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Thanks!
Advertisement
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
I have a Rancilio Silvia at home and have been using mine happily for almost 2 years.

I had something similar to the ones you posted above maybe 8 years ago and let's just say I should have ponied up and bought myself at least a Silvia. Pony up a few hundred more and you got yourself a very nice machine with little to no disappointment.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #3
Meow

i wouldn't go for the mr coffee. Ingeneral its a lower end brand. Have you looked into nespresso machines? When i worked at an appliance store, they were a hot seller because you pop a capsule in and you have a great espresso. They're many flavor options and they also is a milk frother you could buy.
Araaadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
RS controls my life!

Nespresso machines are super convenient but you are limited in the selection of flavors (although there are quite a bit).
GGnoRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #5

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Unfortunately I don't have the money to spend on something like the Silvia espresso machines. They seem like really great machines just don't think I can afford that right now. Maybe when I have my own kitchen :P

As for the Nespresso machines do I always need to use their coffee or would I be able to use my own beans?
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #6

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Creativecookware is a good pace to purchase.

I recommend the saeco aroma. Is a nice machine and has room to modify if you want to be more serious about coffee. Out of factory it has a pressurized portafilter so you don't need to worry too much about grind size or tamping.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

if you want to experiment and take the risk!
ZPM Espresso
looks really cool to me!

found at I'm Intrigued by This Cheap Home Espresso Machine That Might Not Suck
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Despite my earlier post, here is my suggestion to the OP:

I speak from personal experience. I have gone through my trials and tribulations, made my mistakes, and have slowly come to find the medium where I get to taste the sweet nectars of my hard work and research to obtain that oh-so-Godly shot of espresso every morning I wake up.

Before you put money towards an espresso machine, save up and get THE BEST grinder you can afford. And a lot of the times, this will cost more than your machine. Because if you can't obtain the right grind, no machine, not even a $15,000 Synesso will get you a good shot.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Nespresso machines compressors sucks.. not to mention the whole concept (cheap disposable machines + containers) is horrible for the environment.

Wait till Starbucks have their clearance sales... I think theirs are rebadged Saecos? or used to be.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 AM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
my dads a big coffee guy & likes to mix is own beans so we had a mr coffee machine & luckily it serve us well for a good 10yrs or so (unlike 90% of the ppl that bought it)

i dun remember what brand we have right since im in china right now but we bought it at walmart (if i remember) it was on sale for less then a $100

op do u mix beans by any chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #11

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Despite my earlier post, here is my suggestion to the OP:

I speak from personal experience. I have gone through my trials and tribulations, made my mistakes, and have slowly come to find the medium where I get to taste the sweet nectars of my hard work and research to obtain that oh-so-Godly shot of espresso every morning I wake up.

Before you put money towards an espresso machine, save up and get THE BEST grinder you can afford. And a lot of the times, this will cost more than your machine. Because if you can't obtain the right grind, no machine, not even a $15,000 Synesso will get you a good shot.
+1 on the grinder. Especially if you plan to use a non-pressurized portafilter.

IMO the best grinder for the money is a ranchillio Rocky. You have 50 settings so you can grind for pour overs/drip to super fine for espresso.
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:14 AM   #12
Get Money, Get Paid

Thanked 1,264 Times in 262 Posts
I have a Nespresso Le Cube at home. Pods are about 66 cents each, you can buy them online at the Nespresso store, or at the Nespresso boutique downtown at The Bay.

The Cube makes really great espresso, the crema is surprisingly good from a pod based machine. There are 2 settings on the machine, Espresso and Lungo. Lungo is a long shot and there are Lungo pods you can buy specifically for this setting. When I want to drink an Americano, I'll use a Lungo pod. If I just want coffee, I'll use my french press.
Volvoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

I have a Nuova Simonelli Oscar Professional, and a Grinta Grinder. I spent a pretty decent amount on both pieces, but after approx 6 months of not buying Starbucks, it's paid for itself. I purchased it at ECM (ECM Espresso Coffee Machines Co.). Great combo!
haulin oats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
Nespresso machines compressors sucks.. not to mention the whole concept (cheap disposable machines + containers) is horrible for the environment.

Wait till Starbucks have their clearance sales... I think theirs are rebadged Saecos? or used to be.
Just to throw it out there, with single serve brewers... You're looking at $51 a pound for coffee. A lot more than what you'd get buying and grinding your own over the life of the machine/grinder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/08/di...ce-costly.html

That being said, I unfortunately don't have any good recommendations for you. If you were looking for regular coffee, I'd say go with a french press. That won't work for you as the grind is too fine for espresso.

In other words..

I would love to insult you but you wouldn't understand.
TekDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:19 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Pretty happy with my machine, Saeco Odea Giro Plus Automatic Espresso Machine. Designed by BMW, on sale at Costco..

Costco - Saeco Odea Giro Plus Automatic Espresso Machine
Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #16
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
I got one of these for free through air miles
Café Roma Espresso Machine | Breville

pulls shots fine, as long as they're not too long. Pretty good crema. When the pump is running it causes a pretty obnoxious vibration. I only use it for espresso/americanos, the steam function is garbage IMO, or maybe I just don't know how to use it.
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
ddr
Snapping away

got this as per bcrdukes suggested:

Hario Skerton Ceramic Coffee Mill | Grinder | Avenue 18 - Fine Tea Merchant

love it and still going strong. pretty consistent. i thought my machine was absolute crap (could be a lot better haha) until i used fresher beans and also right after i grind them. you can pair this with something like an aeropress if you want to start really cheap. i'll be honest with you though, if you work at 8-9am you won't want to grind anything. but any electric grinder under $500 seem to give mediocre to bad results