REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Old 05-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #76
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Honestly, it just helped barfing it all on this thread. I have never really verbalized (or typed) those thoughts before...

dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #77
Ri2
Willing to stick a finger in a guys butt for the sake of science

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
I HATE HATE HATE talking about it with people as I feel like I come off as some whiny bitch who is acting selfish and needs to realize there are bigger issues in the world. I saw a shrink for 2 years during that time and felt immense guilt for taking up someone's time....and time away from anther patient who could have really used it. It DID help me understand some shit, but I mostly stopped because I did not want to feel like a whiny bitch anymore.

I get so tired of the pressure....I don't work hard enough, I don't work long enough, I didn't make the right decision, I'm not caring enough, I don't see my family enough, my house isn't clean enough, I don't have enough goals, I don't have any children, I am not married, I don't own a big house, my career isn't good enough, I don't see my friends enough....I never feel like I have accomplished "enough". I "should" be doing more....this is a big thing to me...I "should all over myself". Even now....I should be doing something else than typing out whiny sentences while feeling sorry for myself.
I think though that's a barrier that we face all the time, the fact that our problems aren't as big as other people's problems. While there is valid point to that, I also like to believe that everyone's problems are individualized for their own learning experience. Saying that, we shouldn't look at our problem and someone else's and go "theirs is bigger and more important than mine, so I'll just keep it under wraps."
If it wasn't really important, you wouldn't be feeling it. The shame that comes with that doesn't let us feel our emotions/hardships the way we are supposed to, inhibiting life lessons and emotional range, etc. Our version of down and out will always be different than someone else's version, we just can't control that. However, we can acknowledge our personalized version and help ourselves to work through it.
It's just a matter of controlling it within reason. I'm not saying that if people who are well off/have resources available to them and feel down should start adopting unhealthy coping habits like people who have no other options.

I just think it's just our responsibility to ourselves to not invalidate our feelings because it's harder to let it go in the future and make our peace with it if for years, we train our minds to think that there is no peace to be had in the first place. We have to be realistic. Any change that we want to evoke externally will always come within us first. If we dismiss our problems but try to help others, we won't be doing much because we wouldn't be able to give ourselves fully to the situation.

Damn Dino, I love you and you are so accomplished to me
Ri2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #78
rsx
Lomac owned my ass at least once

Thanked 3,463 Times in 820 Posts
One of the tougher situations for Asians is having the pressure come from the Family. I used to work for a non-profit org and we were actually doing good work for the community. I visited my dad and when he introduced me to his friends and talked about what I've been up to... I can only see disappointment when he mumbled something about me working for a charity. I've never felt so put down in my entire life. I subsequently quit my job and tried to prove my dad wrong and it's been hell.

Do a good job, pursue happiness that's self-imposed, not societal or pressures from everyone else. Especially chicks. Fuck 'em. I hang out with a bunch of Asian girls and these are the keywords they use for I want a guy with loads of money: "ambitious, career-driven, long-term goal oriented" be weary.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #79
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosaur View Post
Honestly, it just helped barfing it all on this thread. I have never really verbalized (or typed) those thoughts before...
I just want to give you a hug (at the Stock and n00bie Meet.)

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2012, 05:34 PM   #80
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

I just turned 26. Things that I noticed:

- Can't study as well anymore
- Getting fat
- Brain dead after a day of work
- Can't fuck around at work compared to school
- Other priorities where I can't buy a manual sports car
- Seeing parents/grand parent age
- People around me starting to get married/have kids
- JB is starting to look too young
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM   #81
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I just want to give you a hug (at the Stock and n00bie Meet.)

can i touch your butt while we hug??
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #82
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,091 Times in 773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post
One of the tougher situations for Asians is having the pressure come from the Family. I used to work for a non-profit org and we were actually doing good work for the community. I visited my dad and when he introduced me to his friends and talked about what I've been up to... I can only see disappointment when he mumbled something about me working for a charity. I've never felt so put down in my entire life. I subsequently quit my job and tried to prove my dad wrong and it's been hell.

Do a good job, pursue happiness that's self-imposed, not societal or pressures from everyone else. Especially chicks. Fuck 'em. I hang out with a bunch of Asian girls and these are the keywords they use for I want a guy with loads of money: "ambitious, career-driven, long-term goal oriented" be weary.
I don't think it's also asians. I think its anyone who has a high achieving (older) family member
Meowjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM   #83
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,463 Times in 1,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsx View Post

In North America, I think the path to success is the pursuit of your passions. If you think about the typical Asian path to success, it consists of the following:
- study hard
- become a professional - something to do with money, or medicine
- get married, have kids, and own a detached home
- take care of parents in their retirement
- rinse and repeat with the next generation

The problem with this path is that it produces people who are risk-averse, souless, and uninteresting. It's the reason why there are countless Asian men who are single in their 30s. It's the reason why Asians aren't successful in politics or in entertainment. It's the reason why you hardly see Asians rise above middle-management in corporate Canada.

Unless you plan to move to Asia, I think you really need to pursue your passions and put aside whatever your family thinks. And moreover, I would recommend that Asian guys in their 20s forget about what the typical Asian woman in her 20s wants and date other women.

Growing up, I was never quite cool enough to fit in with the popular crowd and I was a little too smart for my own good. I tried to change my core personality in order to make myself more attractive to women (of the typical Asian variety) and to other people in my 20s, but it didn't work. Now that I'm 30, I'm beginning to realize that you need to be true to yourself and your core values.

Last edited by Tapioca; 05-30-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:25 AM   #84
PJ
My name is PJ and I like dogs.

Thanked 1,683 Times in 532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post

- Can't study as well anymore - try a change of environment? studying at the library or a coffeeshop. gives you the "I already spent half an hour getting here.. might as well make use of it" mindset

- Getting fat - Lots of daily workout routines out there that are less than 1 hr a day. How much time do you spend on the computer/watching tv? Take just 1 hour out everyday.

- Brain dead after a day of work: - Set a schedule and stick to it, so you have something to do after work and not just go home and pass out.

- Can't fuck around at work compared to school - Guess that's a given..

- Other priorities where I can't buy a manual sports car - SUV? Bike? Luxury sedan?

- Seeing parents/grand parent age - Inevitable

- People around me starting to get married/have kids - Live by your own standards, not others

- JB is starting to look too young - I know that feel bro.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-01-2012, 01:04 PM   #85
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 432 Posts
jacked from another thread, but its pretty relevant for here

25 Things I’ve Learned In My 20s « Thought Catalog
dachinesedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #86
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I just want to say thank you to all of you who have posted in this thread. You guys have definitely made an impact on my mind and how to view my life. I sincerely wish to someday achieve my dream (still haven't quite figured it out yet) and show my appreciation to all of you. Don't worry, I'm good at stalking people.
juude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #87
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neggo View Post
I finally decided to commit and take steps towards leaving my comfort zone, along with a home and a family I've been with my entire life. I sent in an application to Japan to teach English last week and heard back from the company today, with them inviting me to an interview next month. I was happy, but my parents were less than thrilled.

I understand that they are worried about their youngest going to a country that had a devastating natural disaster not so long ago, but I feel as though, at my age, this is an opportune chance to develop as an individual independently. This is something I can't do when I'm older and settled in with a career. If I settle, I'm afraid I'd fall into the void of "what ifs".

My parents are pissed, but what can I do?
This thread has been inactive for awhile but I thought I'd provide an update.

I was hired and I will be leaving for Japan in less than a month to teach. I picked up my visa yesterday and finalized my flight and all that's left is to wait for everything to sink in.

I am a mixed bag of excitement and nervousness.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #88
PJ

Quote:

I was hired and I will be leaving for Japan in less than a month to teach. I picked up my visa yesterday and finalized my flight and all that's left is to wait for everything to sink in.

Congrats brother!

Whatever happens, I guarantee you won't regret it, looking back.

After all, you're only gonna remember the things you DID do, not the things you didn't.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
This post thanked by:
Old 08-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #89
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Quote:

Learn some Japanese!!....either then that..its smooth sailing in japan,most of the train ticket machines have English setting on them,just the remote ones in the middle of nowhere is jdm language only
don't forget,you can drink in public

& its funny your old fashioned parents said you might die in a earth quake....Bwhaha....WTF?...Srsly?..srs??..
Old 08-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #90
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Quote:

good luck. just curious what company u joined up with? interac, aeon, berlitz, GABA? or were u one of the lucky ones that got accepted into JET
Jer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:22 PM   #91
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post

- Can't study as well anymore
- Getting fat
- Brain dead after a day of work
- Can't fuck around at work compared to school
- Other priorities where I can't buy a manual sports car
- Seeing parents/grand parent age
- People around me starting to get married/have kids
- JB is starting to look too young
I have same point of views as you shit lol
Durrann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #92
PJ

Just turned down a couple 6-figure job offers yesterday and today to stay on track for my bigger goals..

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-30-2012, 04:40 PM   #93
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,422 Times in 918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post
Just turned down a couple 6-figure job offers yesterday and today to stay on track for my bigger goals..

thats tough to turn down. what field of work are u in?
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #94
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ View Post

man.. i hope you're making the right choices

if i was ur parent i would beat u with a stick.. LOL

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #95
PJ

I'm in engineering

And that's exactly why I didn't tell my parents

I figure if I got 2 offers now, and I completely fail with all my goals, it couldn't be THAT hard to still find a decent job a few years down the road.
But what I have going on with my projects are somewhat age and time-sensitive.

Jobs will always be around, but certain opportunities only arise ever so often.

I'm not hurting for money either.. I don't make 6 figures now, but I'm comfortable. I have my realistic "dream" car, a roof over my head, and the freedom to do whatever the hell I want. So turning down these job offers were completely rational.. at least in my perspective.

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #96
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Weren't you in recording business? But engineering major....LOL
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #97
manage the cap you say????

Thanked 3,613 Times in 1,181 Posts
PJ = not a single fk was given

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #98
PJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaoTurbo View Post
Weren't you in recording business? But engineering major....LOL
Yup I work with a record label on the side, that's one of the "side projects" I have going on that might blow up in the near future haha

Hello my name is PJ.

Buy/Sell Feedback 1-0-0
Old 08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Money View Post
Learn some Japanese!!....either then that..its smooth sailing in japan,most of the train ticket machines have English setting on them,just the remote ones in the middle of nowhere is jdm language only
don't forget,you can drink in public

& its funny your old fashioned parents said you might die in a earth quake....Bwhaha....WTF?...Srsly?..srs??..
Parents just don't understand, hahaha.

Oh, I actually know how to speak Japanese, haha. I think that may have been one of the major reasons they hired me.

I should brush up on my kanji though since that was such a bitch to learn.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer3 View Post
good luck. just curious what company u joined up with? interac, aeon, berlitz, GABA? or were u one of the lucky ones that got accepted into JET
I opted not to apply for JET because of their one year hiring process. Too damn long of a wait for me, haha.

I got accepted to both Interac (ALT) and iTTTi Peppy Kids Club (Eikawa) but Interac offered me a Dec or later start date, while PKC offered me an October start date.

I went with PKC because of the earlier start date and, as an eikawa, isn't as bad as the others where your salary depends on how many students you have in your class. Plus, classes are in the afternoons so it's much better for me.