REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Photography Lab

Photography Lab THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
A place to display digital masterpieces, enhance photography skills, photoshop, and share photo tips with one another...

Old 04-10-2012, 10:57 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

To Fix or not to Fix? Nikkor 12-24 F4

okay so I finally got the estimate on the repair of my Nikkor 12-24 F4 its a Class C repair that is priced at $599.99 so about 671.98

I brought the lens in because the filter got dented and can't be removed and dust was building up behind the filter so when there was light shining into the lens it would catch the dust and turn into nice bright circles in the photos. If it wasn't for the dust behind the filter I probably would not have brought the lens in for repair.

There seems to be a lot of these lens on Craigslist. Should I just buy one on craigslist or get mine repaired?

I just bought a tokina 11-16 2.8 which I'm using now while Nikon still has my lens.

I've still got some time before the estimate expires and they give me my lens back.

Will the lens come back like brand new? will the repair fix the focus and softness ?
Advertisement
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
VLS Moderator

Thanked 2,591 Times in 832 Posts
Well, on paper it should come back like new, but from my experience with both Canon & Nikon repair, that's not always the case. For example, I had to send in a 85mm f1.4G for cleaning as a big speck of dust found its way inside the lens, but when it came back, it had what looked like a palm print on the INSIDE of the back element which most certainly was not there when I sent it in. You'd think they would catch such a glaring thing, but no. Always check your lens as soon as you get it back, even if you did send it in to the manufacturer. Nikon will rectify it at no cost though.

Whether you get it repaired or write it off is totally up to you - which will make the most sense to you financially?
R.I.P. 1989 Acura Legend Coupe LS.
Senna4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:11 AM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

There are a couple copies of that lens float around on craigslist all going for about 600~650, so its your call.
I really like my 12-24 tho, its anti flare and ghosting ability makes it a awesome lens, but if you think the tokina is a better, faster, sharper and defenatey wider for your need, than just keep the tokina
hellyeah08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 12:44 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I decided not to get it fixed. I'm just gonna try and removing that dented filter myself or a shop that might be able to for a small charge.

After using the Tokina for the last few weeks man I miss the range on the 12-24 and the CA's on the Tokina at times gets annoying. I don't have a filter on the lens right now. Was thinking about the Hoya HD filters probably.

If I really want another one i'll just pick one up on Craigslist and turn my old one into my collection piece.
CoLoRs Member #26
For Good or For Awesome?
Nismo200SX is offline   Reply With Quote